37 replies to this topic

#21 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

I got a 3rd party to make it up for me and charged me a lot of cash. You might be better off using the measurements and getting someone to do the same for you over there minus the hefty bill.

#22 Azman

Azman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

I work with an engineering and industrial supplies company, as part of that company we have a manufacturing company next door I will go over there and find out how much to knock a couple of them up as he has all the materials etc there to do it. If you don't mind me asking Craig what did it cost you to have your's made?

#23 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

Mine was around $1,500- which included labour to pull everything off and re fit. My guys are expensive but I always get top quality work. They have Jim Richards Porche in there at the moment. I am at the point where I rather pay a bit more and get it done right the first time rather than some wnnabe doing a half assed job. You would save a heap if you do the labour for fitting it your self. Form me I am a lay person when it comes to that stuff. I am not a big fan of doing the major work on the car I'd rather be driving it.

#24 Azman

Azman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

Thats all fair enough Craig! I have had my hands on that porsche before is a very nice one. I guess the main thing is that the end result is what you seek.

#25 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

in regards to the chain setup i'm thinking i may as well do this while putting in my new diff :D, just wondering if these are the screws you connect the chain too? i've tried looking at hybridz but the only link to a picture i could find didn't work...

Attached Thumbnails

• 909_.jpg

#26 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

I think it is from memory Evan, drop in and have a look at mine if you like, the cars in Clayton for the time being.

#27 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

lol, the sad thing about that idea is that pictures my car so i've got nothign to drive really till its back together, although shouldn't take long now. had to wait for a hand to put the other diff in place but now i just need some time to do everything back up :D i guess those screws aren't that hard to get to with all the other stuff in place so i can just do it later on

#28 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

nah nah easier whilst its out.

when your tailshaft sway bar if u have one is in its a bit of a pita and thats from up on the hoist experience!!! lol.

just finshed puting my 200 lsd in and had similar dramas, the route im going is not the chain however, i think i posted a pic earlier in this thread of the dir im going!!

is very simple and practicle.

#29 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

nah nah easier whilst its out.

when your tailshaft sway bar if u have one is in its a bit of a pita and thats from up on the hoist experience!!! lol.

just finshed puting my 200 lsd in and had similar dramas, the route im going is not the chain however, i think i posted a pic earlier in this thread of the dir im going!!

is very simple and practicle.

#30 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

Im pretty sure i paid about $60 for a front billet mount that bolts straight on and works awsome. one piece and 3 bolts. I dont think i could trust a chain, but having said that i guess my car has a little more torque than stock. any of the V8 guys here using the chain method?

#31 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

yeah the rear sway bar is a pain to put back in huh, still have painful memories from doing the clutch lol, however it would b somehow possible to get to the screws i circled without taking the bar off?

well i'm up for doing anything kind of modifaction thats going to help if its <$100 especially, where abouts did you get the thing from sco? i dont think i'm really going to have that big an issue as my car isn't really producing great amounts of power at all....and i want to put it back in this week, well asap really, just i didn't have a chance tonight as i worked late...

#32 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:22 AM

Umm, it was a while ago and from the states on ebay. ill see if i can find something about it.

#33 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

hmmm as sad as it is i'll just leave it for now, spent a good couple of hours on it tonight coz i'm an idiot :oops: i didn't check if the flange's were the same off the front of the diff so had to take it back out and spend an hour or so bashing a lever to undo the nut that holds them on...but atleast i'm getting faster at taking out the diff, and i have all the tools out which is normally about the slowest part of the process for me

#34 Azman

Azman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

does anyone know off the top off there head what thread size the mounting bracker bolts are? as it might be easier than jacking my car back up lol.

#35 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

just another variant to throw in. this one was my creation. took maybe 30min. used a nolathane type bush.

http://www.thezgarag...?t=588&start=30

#36 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

looks good, pity i dont have a welder, and have never welded anything in my life...lol, this is where the chain would come in handy for me, i'm wondering if the idea is to mount it to the two screws underneath the front bar thats under the diff

#37 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

the chain idea can be used in a couple of ways.

You weld the chain links to the 2 round sleeves shown in the link above (what holds the rubber strap). and bolted to the body like normal.

or if you can source chain with decent size links, can bolt directly to the larger bolt goes front back without the sleeve, or even diectly to the 4 smaller mounting bolts, would prefer the bigger one but.

nato

#38 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

the diffs in now :D i'll go back at some stage and put in a chain, so thanks for the info nato. on the bottom of the bar closer to the front of the car that holds up the diff i have a small plate (which i cannot see what it does) thats held on with two bolts, i was thinking of buying two longer bolts and connecting a chain on there as that way it will be easier to insure that the chain is tight, and that way the plate would b spreading the force on the chain across the bar a bit, where replacing the rubber strap with a chain it doesn't seem like you'd be able to get it as tight?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users