23 replies to this topic

#21 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:19 PM

To bump this thread up while it's still sorta fresh my car has a similar problem to Stivva's car.

Over the last few weeks I will be driving it somewhere and either stall/turn the car off and go to start it again fairly quickly (within maybe 90 seconds?) and the starter cranks very slowly... Almost as if the battery is flat. Leave it for a few minutes and try again and it starts first go!

Anybody have any suggestions as to what this could be? I have replaced the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, leads and ignition coil and so far not much has helped. If it matters at all it gets driven/started on average once a week.

#22 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

I'd do a simulated load test on the battery. Winter usually kills the weaker battery.

#23 D.O.G

D.O.G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

To bump this thread up while it's still sorta fresh my car has a similar problem to Stivva's car.

Over the last few weeks I will be driving it somewhere and either stall/turn the car off and go to start it again fairly quickly (within maybe 90 seconds?) and the starter cranks very slowly... Almost as if the battery is flat. Leave it for a few minutes and try again and it starts first go!

Anybody have any suggestions as to what this could be? I have replaced the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, leads and ignition coil and so far not much has helped. If it matters at all it gets driven/started on average once a week.

I had a similar problem late last year.

Assuming it was the battery failing, I took it up to my local mechanic. He fitted a new battery, then, when it wasn't any better, tested the starter and found it to be the problem.
The local Auto Electrician rebuilt the starter, and it now starts first hit hot or cold.

Pete.

#24 Ducer

Ducer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

My Starter on my 91 M30 took a couple of days ago, so I had a friend took it all apart. Brushes were great, points were all clean, all contacts cleaned, the solenoid opened and cleaned.  The start spins, but not hard and fast. It will engage and whine but no torque.

So once cleaned, we put and back, and still the same, no torque, only spins but not fast or hard enough.

Went and bought a new starter, installed. Bam. Cranks great.

So, from this my friend who is a Nissan Master Mechanic said, motor is bad. You can have it all appear and look good but something inside is not right, so not worth the troubles. $105 and it's solved.  I recommend just getting a new one.  $158 - $53 core= $105. Not bad.  Z might be a little more, but none the less the same idea.

But it's good to try the "cheapest" methods first, because most of use aren't too rich.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users