#1 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Tagline:Hiroshima Screama

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

Evening Gentlemen.
I have recently developed an issue in my zed and I think it my starter (ka-put).
The car has stopped turning over, and the starter motor is going tick, tick, tick (one tick for each key turn)
    I have charged the battery
    Tried a second battery
    Checked the voltage at the battery
    Checked the voltage at the starter motor.
So could it be the starter motor, or could there be something else in the bay that I should check first?
Thank you in advance.

#2 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

take the starter off and try it on the bench if it still wont turn replace it . all so check that the motor turns from the crank have seen more than one seized motor .....

#3 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thanks mate. Engine is fine, turns over by hand fine, I will take the starter off now

#4 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like one of two things to me.

Stuck starter solenoid.  you can try giving it a tap to free it up.  I drove for years with a sticking solenoid in an old Mazda 1500.  Just carried the jack rod in the car with me.

The starter gears are stuck on the ring-gear.  Put the car in gear and rock it back and forwards.  This should free it of the ring-gear and allow it to retract back into the starter, where the solenoid can throw it out again to start the car.

If neither of these things work, then as Peter says, pull it out and check it out.  Make sure that it is WELL held in a heavy vice.  they produce a lot of torque and are heavy when they fall  :o

#5 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks mate, unfortunately I had already pulled the starter out and tested it. Sure enough it did not spin. But te clicking noise was there. I am worried that I should have checked the rolling of the car in gear first as that may have unjammed something. Is it worth having a starter rebuilt or buy a secondhand/new one?
I did try giving the thing a bang with a hammer, I had that problem in an old gemini

#6 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Will a 1600 starter (or any 4 cylinder L series) fit up? There are a few on eBay and they look the same as the 260s

#7 haul

haul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi , take it in and have it looked at, they are easy to rebuild and does not cost that much, from memory mine cost 180 and you have a fresh starter again, dont waste your money on second hand as you can end up with the same problem.
Cheers Tony

#8 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

If it is stuffed.

I think the RB starter fit and are lighter/cheaper

#9 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

;D Hey Stivva, have three sitting in shed, all ok. One out of 260Z 2+2 other two from 260Z.  Thirty five bucks if you wish. On my way past your place this friday ,going to Central Coast. If you like will drop it off for you.

Regards: Alan.  :D

#10 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

Sounds like it could either be the brushes on the starter or the contacts in the solenoid; brushes can be replaced, and some solenoids can be serviced.. Pity you're not in Melbourne...have about 5 starter motors that are getting scrapped....

#11 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for that Alan, that would be much appreciated.

#12 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

;D All's well that ends well. Stivva's a happy Zedder again. LOL.

#13 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Not so Alan...

Another week another drama. It is funny that since I stopped driving my car daily it starts to play up every week.
So, Alan's replacement starter motor fixed the last problem, and the car started first time and ran, idled and drove.
Last weekend the car decided to not fire up, continually turning over until the battery fades.

WHY AM I HAVING SO MANY PROBLEMS?! I just want to enjoy my car.

I have checked the spark plugs and replaced them just for good measure. I have ensured the choke was both fully on and then off!
I checked the fuel was coming through the lines (which it is at a generous amount).
Nothing has changed between now and the last time it was running :(

Any ideas?! I currently have the battery on charge just to ensure it is strong enough to start next time I attempt it.

#14 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

;D G'day Stivva, spoke to the COOK about your plight & told her of your plea for help. I can come over this sunday around 11am to assist you in sorting it out.

Email your home ph# will you . 

#15 fufu

fufu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Tagline:NO NO NO!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

I feel your pain Stivva. My Z was a menace as well.

Try again with a charged battery. If it fails... do the usual mechanical check,

Fuel, Electric, Air.
Since you've checked fuel, move onto electrics.

Remove one spark plug leave the lead on and put it near a nearby ground. Get someone to turn it over and see if it sparks, spark jumping from the spark plug to the nearby metal piece.

#16 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

Best advice as above; check all the systems - fuel (you have) now check for spark. remove the coil lead and place it near a ground and crank. Check for a good strong blue spark. When you removed the plugs were they wet with fuel? If the cylinders are full of fuel, maybe it's flooded. If you have a compressor, remove the plugs and blow into the cylinders to evaporate any leftover fuel.

#17 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

The most Painful part was the car was perfect for so long until I stopped driving it every day. Now I definitely will drive it to work a couple of times a week, just to keep it going.

I have managed to get her started, and it started first time and ran so smoothly. So Bizarre?!!? But Alan, if that offer is still there, I would love your assistance on Sunday. It is running very very very rich and I would love to even that out with your help. Will PM you.

My thoughts are that the rich mix was fouling the plugs and the recharge gave it enough spark to burn through the carbon to start the car last week and then the absence of starting the car dropped the voltage level to much. So Just now the combination of new plugs and a high voltage battery bought the car to life????

#18 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

;) No worries mate,will be there bout 11 bells.

#19 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

:P All's well, just pulled the carbs to pieces gave them a good clean up. Put them back together & re set the mixture on the jets. Seems pretty good now but he's in need of a 280 elctrnc dizzy. Points unit is struggling with burning all the juice.

#20 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Alan! Elec dizzy is my on the Cards project for the weekend. That and putting the new brakes on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users