35 replies to this topic

#21 Bozo

Bozo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Tagline:53-681

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Lol all I know is all air/carbon dioxide goes up no matter what. It helps in my Z

#22 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Instead of a sunroof, install one of those forward facing hatches like on rally cars; they pressurize the cabin so no fumes get in.

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

I think to solve the Z-car fume problem properly someone needs to do wind tunnel analysis. Which can be done on the cheap using the following guides:

http://autospeed.com...56/article.html
http://autospeed.com...74/article.html
http://autospeed.com...75/article.html
http://autospeed.com...76/article.html
http://autospeed.com...77/article.html

#24 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

You don't need to do analysis to know that under the car is a high pressure area and inside the cabin is relatively low in comparison. The solution is just to seal the cabin, that's just a bit tricky given the amount of grommets/holes/vents/deteriorated seals that are in these cars.

If you want to be a tightarse you could just extend the exhaust past the rear of the car (drift pipe) and have less fumes.

#25 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just thinking would a side exit exhaust be legal? I know it has to be past a certain distance from an opening window.

#26 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

If you want to be a tightarse you could just extend the exhaust past the rear of the car (drift pipe) and have less fumes.

I can tell you it would need to be much more than 6 inches past the end of the body. I would suspect something closer to what you see on bozuko cars would be needed.

#27 slowdeyo

slowdeyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I found something that helps get rid of most of  the fumes,
if you look at the rear hatch it has a big gap either side of the lock catch, because the hatch is hollow the fumes go in through there past the seal and out the cardboard plate thing that clips on , i just put some tape around the edges of the board and it reduced the fumes quite a bit.  8)

#28 rizwanashraf85

rizwanashraf85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

Guys,

I have bought a brand new Volkswagen CC car. The car has an issue and that is when I see in my back mirror to see cars back I see fumes and the cars seem little wavy to me. Is this the same issues you guys are talking about? I am facing severe headache while driving my car. Please help me.

#29 Linton

Linton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Tagline:1976 260z 2+2 Sunburst 1989 300zx Z32TT 2+2 Black

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

:o take 2 panadol go to bed return VOLKSWAGON to dealer

#30 SS30RR

SS30RR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

solution is not as hard is we're all thinking.

The fumes can only come out of several areas.
1. Exhaust
2. Leaking extractors
3. Exhaust leaks.

solution
1. Get the car not to run so rich
2. Take off extractors and double stack exhaust gasket and get new studs and bolts and seal the sarker up.
3. Weld the leak up or replace part in question.

Our cars are meant to be driven with windows down so the fact of low or high pressure areas are redundant if there is no 'fumes' to begin with.

Obviously make sure all your seals are in good condition and in all areas they're meant to be.

Too often we focus on the symptoms with these old cars vs the obvious cause.

cheers.

#31 fluegel

fluegel

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Here is the skinny on how I cured the exhaust smell ,I have a 260z 2+2.

1: check the main hatch seal replace if not in good condition then get inside the car and go around the  seal with a thin feeler guage looking for gaps, adjust the hinges and lock to get the best fit

2:Remove the cardboard cover on the inside of the hatch carefully so as not to tear out the plastic studs. On the 2+2 you will see a large rectangular hole in the middle covered with a piece of neoprene and two 1"holes each side covered with duct tape recover all of these holes.

3:Remove the tail light assembly and check the condition or the rubber seals each side, get new ones if stuffed

4:Lift the carpet and check that the two holes left and right on top of the rear box section have gromets in them and check that it is not rusted through underneath ,outside. If it is you will have to block the ends off inside the car with plastic bags or repair the rust holes.

5:If you removed the fuel tank make sure that the filler pipe is properly sealed as it goes through the floor( I used blue tack) check that the filler cap assy is properly sealed it bolts into place with a rubber gasket.

6: look for any rust holes in the rear lower body bits behind the wheels.

7: Look for any other holes or perished gromets remember that a .5mm hole will let in exhaust. You need to be obsessive to cure this problem.

Peopleoften tape up the lock and the small vent holes at the rear of the hatch and it often cures the smell but the real cause is underneath the cardboard inside I think this may be the main cause of the exhaust smell.

Richard

#32 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

solution is not as hard is we're all thinking.

The fumes can only come out of several areas.
1. Exhaust
2. Leaking extractors
3. Exhaust leaks.

solution
1. Get the car not to run so rich
2. Take off extractors and double stack exhaust gasket and get new studs and bolts and seal the sarker up.
3. Weld the leak up or replace part in question.

Our cars are meant to be driven with windows down so the fact of low or high pressure areas are redundant if there is no 'fumes' to begin with.

Obviously make sure all your seals are in good condition and in all areas they're meant to be.

Too often we focus on the symptoms with these old cars vs the obvious cause.

cheers.

This has been a problem since these cars were new, at least that's what I'm told, since I wasn't even around when these cars were new. lol

I can guarantee you that I have ZERO exhaust leaks, I've checked several times to be sure.

The problem is the aerodynamics cause the exhaust when exiting in the stock location to be allowed to come forward, and come in through any crevice or slight opening, such as the hatch seals, or tail light gaskets, even when those are perfect, it still seems to be an issue, and is at least part of the reason the hatch vents were removed and placed on the side of the car, in the B-pillars.

#33 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Tagline:RB25det powered 240z - willwoods - coils - engineered

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Solution - throw in an RB or other EFI engine and propblem solved. Its cheap and easy!!! :o

#34 fluegel

fluegel

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Solution - throw in an RB or other EFI engine and propblem solved. Its cheap and easy!!! :o

Does that mean you are breathing in pure odourless carbon dioxide and water instead of carbon monoxide and smelly hydrocarbons from the old engine.

#35 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Tagline:RB25det powered 240z - willwoods - coils - engineered

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Does that mean you are breathing in pure odourless carbon dioxide and water instead of carbon monoxide and smelly hydrocarbons from the old engine.

Could be but out of sight out of mind. Both still not great for health, but least one doesnt stink so bad

#36 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Some good tips here, thanks. I've never had the tank out of my 240 but can see plenty of daylight around the fuel filler inside the guard, there's about a dozen stones in there too! All the other spots seem fine, so it will get a dose of sikaflex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users