8 replies to this topic

#1 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

For those of you who race and are spending a bucket load on brake pads give these guys a go...
Hawkpadsdirect.com

For the pads I use in the front of the 240 I would normally pay $140-180 for a set of hawk pads from Australian suppliers. I just received 2 sets of pads for $160US delivered to my door.

Service wasn't the quickest, taking a month to get here, I suspect the pads had to  be made, but can't fault the company. I could track the order and it's.status all the way.

Now to spend tomorrow getting new front motors sorted for lapz so I can bed in all new brakes and again have one of the best stopping Zed around  ;D

#2 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for the tip, PZ. I've used BlueHawks in the past and was very happy with them but they were costing around $500 a set!! there around $120 a set in the US. I'm using Performance Friction at the moment which again are excellent, but the Hawks seemed to have a better 'bite' when you first hit the brakes....but they ate discs something shocking! If your not using a race pad on the track you wont believe the huge difference they make, even at $500 a set they were cheap for the amount of lap time you lost.

#3 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

The rate the hawks chew through street type rotors is the one disadvantage, however I use standard TP Magna rotors so are cheap enough not to worry about. With the DT-60 compound I will be replacing rotors every second set of pads to be safe.

#4 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

Yeah I was using 250mm 200B Solid Discs at $30 a pop....not worth worring about!

#5 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

bluerat - what type of Hawk pad were you running (they seem to list a few types of "blue" ones on that site) ?

I'm currently running Bendix Ultimates in my 1600 track car, using 240K twin pot calipers and rotors with a pretty low-powered L18. Looking to buy new pads shortly and these seem pretty cheap !

Just looking at the specs, I'm thinking DTC-30 or Blue MT4 might suit me ? Or maybe blue 9012 or DTC-05 ? Fairly slow, fairly light car that is still very occasionally driven on the street and does a few hillclimbs.

#6 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

bluerat - what type of Hawk pad were you running (they seem to list a few types of "blue" ones on that site) ?

I'm currently running Bendix Ultimates in my 1600 track car, using 240K twin pot calipers and rotors with a pretty low-powered L18. Looking to buy new pads shortly and these seem pretty cheap !

Just looking at the specs, I'm thinking DTC-30 or Blue MT4 might suit me ? Or maybe blue 9012 or DTC-05 ? Fairly slow, fairly light car that is still very occasionally driven on the street and does a few hillclimbs.

Dave, I would recommend the hawk 9012 "blue" compound. To make sure go to the hawk brakes website and download the catalogue, fairly big file but worth the effort. Also use the contact function to ask what hawk's recommendation would be. I have just gone from the 9012 compound to the DTC-60 compound for the fronts on their advice. This is for  a circuit car only.

#7 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hey Dave, I used the Bluehawk 9012 compound and with a change to 200B (Commodore) calipers from the Twin pot 240K's the car went 1.5 seconds faster around Symmons, but like I said it monstered disc's. They were fine at hillclimbs and need a little warming up but seemed to stay 'hot' all day. I just did the Hilux 4 spot swap, still with the solid discs and rear drums and It went quicker again...I should of did this years ago!! $50 for a set of calipers, around $400 to get them kitted and Performance Friction pad and they bolted straight on! Using a 240K 7/8th Brake Cyl and 240k rear cyl on the drums, oh yeah get the larger 253mm 200B disks and machine them down to 250mm which gives you an extra 6mm of disc, which my little man on the lathe say's makes a huge diference.....yeah,yeah, yeah! (Oh yeah 200B Struts..I bent my 240K ones..) So there you go..the tight arsed 1600 owners braking lesson. Sorry to mention the mighty boxey machine on this fine sports car site, but do this Dave and you will be lapping MGB's in no time..

#8 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for that - I've sent an enquiry to Hawk and downloaded the catalogue. 9012 looks to be the go from the specs, will see what Hawk say when they get back to me.

I'll probably stick with the 240K setup for now (tight arse 1600 syndrome  ::) ), my home circuit (Wakefield Park) only sees me braking 3 times a lap from maybe 140k's down to 80k's each time so not a lot of work for the brakes. 

#9 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for that - I've sent an enquiry to Hawk and downloaded the catalogue. 9012 looks to be the go from the specs, will see what Hawk say when they get back to me.

I'll probably stick with the 240K setup for now (tight arse 1600 syndrome  ::) ), my home circuit (Wakefield Park) only sees me braking 3 times a lap from maybe 140k's down to 80k's each time so not a lot of work for the brakes.

Dave, for sprints the 9012's will be fine. In my car they only lasted about 7 laps at Morgan Park before overheating in a 10 lap race. Sprints will be much kinder on the pads. I will be keeping the 9012 pads I have for hillclimbs as the DTC-60 pads won't get hot enough.

Now you have the catalogue it's just a matter of finding the right  pad by referencing the numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users