Photo

Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Poll: Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll. (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

1. Melbourne (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. Victoria rural (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Victoria on route (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

4. Sydney (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

5. NSW rural (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. NSW on route (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Launceston / Hobart (0 votes [0.00%])

8. TAS rural (1 votes [4.00%])

9. TAS on route (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Brisbane (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

11. QLD Rural (1 votes [4.00%])

12. QLD on route (1 votes [4.00%])

13. Adelaide (2 votes [8.00%])

14. SA rural (0 votes [0.00%])

15. SA on route (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Perth (0 votes [0.00%])

17. WA Rural (1 votes [4.00%])

18. WA on route (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Darwin (0 votes [0.00%])

20. NT rural (0 votes [0.00%])

21. NT on route (0 votes [0.00%])

22. ACT (2 votes [8.00%])

23. NZ (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,380 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

As far as opening it up to all Datsun marques, I'm personally not for it, and its just my personal opinion, please don't get me wrong and I have a number of reasons for it which I'm happy to go into if asked.

Cheers

John

If you don't mind I'd like to know why you are not a fan of having the other groups along? If you are afraid of a public prosecution feel free to email / pm me about it. Personally I think other marquee's could make it epic!

#42 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

If you don't mind I'd like to know why you are not a fan of having the other groups along? If you are afraid of a public prosecution feel free to email / pm me about it. Personally I think other marquee's could make it epic!

Hi Gav

Nice to hear from you, I have no quams sharing some of the reasons with you and the rest of the forum at all, and once again these are my personal feelings and not a mandate because I came up with the idea of this run, this forum decides how when and who participates should it go ahead not me.

The reasons are many and varied, but in the main they can be broken down as follows.

Marque:

As Rev suggested, this could be a great vehicle to raise funds for a great cause as a result of a bunch of enthusiasts getting together, for that reason the spectacle of an all Z event would draw more attention than an open event, this may sound rather vain but from a marketing perspective it has merit, the other reason supporting this is that behind the scenes I have already started to gauge interest in if the media would be interested in doing a documentary of the event and route and mixing non Z vehicles would diminish the appeal.

Logistics

A number of forum members have indicated that support vehicles would be needed, the reason being that we would need to anticipate generic breakdown possibilities, I'm sure that each member could stock up on a number of emergency parts for their own vehicles, i.e. water pumps, brake hoses, etc  however having a cross section of other vehicles and not knowing the preparedness by the drivers could put a strain on the events time schedule should multiple breakdowns arise.

Uniqueness.

This forum is unique as it caters for the Z community, if you wanted to open this up to all models the Nissan family then why not just make this a Datsun / Nissan forum? the idea of running this was to get the Z community together, if the S13-15 boys wanted to do this run would they invite us?

This is an opportunity for Z enthusiasts across the nation to get to know one and other and their cars as opposed to just the nett, and I don't see why we would need other marques their as a distraction.

I apologise if these views may seem narrow minded to you, and in the end if we are serious about moving ahead with this as opposed to just postulating on this forum then it can be put to a poll, either way I'm fine with the outcome and will still participate, its not my decision.

I get the impression that perhaps you think that this is a pie in the sky thread, all I can say is that everything I decide on doing Gav I do, and this is no exception, maybe if it does go ahead we may get the time to spend some quality time together in real life as opposed to just traded posts via the forum and gain a deeper appreciation for one and other and our cars.

Cheers

John

#43 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location:3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean the other in Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Including other Marques would take from it's uniqueness.
Personally, I'd like to see it finish at Ayers Rock rather than Alice.
There is a greater variety of accommodation available, a shot of Zeds all lined up with the "Rock in the background is the most appealing aspect of making this trip.

Be prepared for gravel....might have the Rally car ready by then.....

#44 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hmmm interesting concept. I could be in. Mind you it is a long way so I won't be doing any detours for twisty roads. Lurch I can tell you these roads aren't that boring. Infact I love the drive. I did it last year and was awesome.
You know the best time of year is around July/August. And the paved roads were all good when we did them.
You could almost coincide the trip with the annual Speed run on the salt flats in SA. That is something I have always wanted to do. Would generate even more interest. Even if we didn't participate but checked it out for a day or two?
Are you coming to the next Vic meeting where maybe we could discuss some options?

#45 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

There is no gravel roads to or around Ayres Rock. I agree the event needs to finish there. There is nothing at Alice Springs. It's a whole. The Rock is slightly closer and has fantastic accommodation options. Beside I am sure if you went to Alice almost everyone would make it to the Rock anyway. So might as well cut out A/Springs. There is nothing to see in there.

#46 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

You could almost coincide the trip with the annual Speed run on the salt flats in SA. That is something I have always wanted to do. Would generate even more interest. Even if we didn't participate but checked it out for a day or two?

I think that would be a great idea also, and this is something we have the opportunity to discuss at the next meeting, could we make it a bit more concrete as far as making it a topic of discussion during the night rather than just passing chat?

Including other Marques would take from it's uniqueness.
Personally, I'd like to see it finish at Ayers Rock rather than Alice.
There is a greater variety of accommodation available, a shot of Zeds all lined up with the "Rock in the background is the most appealing aspect of making this trip.

Be prepared for gravel....might have the Rally car ready by then.....

There is no gravel roads to or around Ayres Rock. I agree the event needs to finish there. There is nothing at Alice Springs. It's a whole. The Rock is slightly closer and has fantastic accommodation options. Beside I am sure if you went to Alice almost everyone would make it to the Rock anyway. So might as well cut out A/Springs. There is nothing to see in there.

No problems with that either and true, a rising sun in the background with the Zeds parked in front of the rock may make for a great postcard shot to send back to Nissan Japan.

It may be an idea that we use our cars and some of the money raised to send back to the Japan devastation fund via Nissan?

#47 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

I think you with an event like this you should be looking at getting 50 Zeds to the Red Centre.
You will probably need to contact members on here from each state and get a direct comittment. You really need a minimum of 6 from each state to make it a truley national even. Oh and for all those guys who's cars aren't on the road, you will need to add them to the list and maybe's only. As you know the deal with 4 weeks to go a flood of emails will come through "oh I know I said I would be coming but my Zed doesn't look like it will be finished in time". Despite a mid 2013 recommended date.
Once you start firming up numbers and logistics. Only then would I start adding the complication of raising money and sponsors etc. Basically that all sounds nice. But you need to firm up the event / Numbers etc before seeking out side sponsors and raising money. As as soon as that happens the pressure really starts. I know!
Good luck and happy to help out if needed.
Cheers Craig

#48 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

Craig

That was the whole idea of raising this and setting a date 2 years from now, so as members could get their heads around where they and their cars will be, and to initially get some feedback as to routes destinations territorial info etc.

If on the 6th we can firm up some commitment from the members attending that this is a viable run then the next step would be to cement the run in as an event and start getting some commitment from all members in all states.

I agree also that this would need to be at least a 6 car per departing location event, not to mention the cars joining in during the route like Linton for instance who has already put his hand up.

So do we close the poll and change it to a State poll now to see how many participants we may have in the mix from different locations so as to gauge how viable this may be?

#49 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Yep totally agree John.
Yes the poll really needs to be by state now I think.
Then we would probably need to contact users direct and or other Zed car clubs to generate some more interest. As you won't get 50 old Zeds through this forum alone. But it might be possible if we lift the profile which I am sure was your plan anyway.
But to me it sounds like a great idea and could work. Hey if we can get 20 Zeds to Thredbo from only a few states then why not 50 to the big rock?

#50 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

New state by state poll now listed at the start of this thread, please review.

#51 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm in.  So are we going to only limit this to the 240/260Zs?  Or will it be any Zed of any breed (engine etc)?

#52 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

Any S-30.

#53 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

Any S-30.

I'm in.  So are we going to only limit this to the 240/260Zs?  Or will it be any Zed of any breed (engine etc)?

Id say if it left Japan with a "Z" badge it's in LOL

And if its a purist run as far as motors then Craig and I are out  >:(

Would be nice to get all the generations in.

#54 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

There is no gravel roads to or around Ayres Rock.

I'd be looking at returning via the Flinders Ranges (Wilipena Pound)- Broken Hill and expect gravel. But then again all those hours sitting in Race seats mightn't be a good idea.........

#55 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Id say if it left Japan with a "Z" badge it's in LOL

And if its a purist run as far as motors then Craig and I are out  >:(

Would be nice to get all the generations in.

Make that x3...

#56 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

I'd be in and can speak for at least 3 other Z's from Gold Coast/Brisbane QLD.

I'll keep bringing it up in conversation so I'm sure a few more would be keen to jump on board.

James

#57 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

I think you would be pushing any S30 with any configuration motor.
But if there was interest from other "Z" models then I wouldn't discount them. If you want numbers and we do for an event like this you need to be open minded. A bit like the Tassie or Thredbo runs. We would prefer old time Zeds but if the odd different car cames along so be it.
Remember a trip like this is possibly a one off experience and the people are what make it. I guess you would just make a judgement call closer to the time for outsider cars etc. But lets not make to many restrictive participant rules yet. You might want them later when reality sets in and some people start pulling the pin closer to the kick off date.
For those tossing around detours etc. I think we should put them to one side for the minute. Lets concentrate on the core tour here. That is up to Ayres Rock and home again. It's a bloody long way and people may not want to go any further. Detours and side trips can be organised by off shoot groups late on when the trip is locked and loaded.  ;)

#58 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm in and it's good to have a time limit on finishing the old girl.  Rural Vic.  Not sure which rural vic but definately one of them!

#59 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Id have to agree on the Z badge thing, i understand more now reading your comments like whether the s13-15 blokes would invite us.
So, if we were to look at it like that, would it be feasible to have a head organizer who also organizes one forum/make (S30 and S31)
And then have someone else who organizes for the Z31/Z32 ect including on their forum and minor fundraising?
And then another on the 350/370Z forums doing the same thing?
It would possibly add a little friendly competition to who could fund raise the most, with the total being donated to the charity in question.
Each respective forum/make would organize their own itinerary, with 1 or 2 designated meet points and a final conglomeration at the end.
Dunno, just my ramblings.

#60 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Id have to agree on the Z badge thing, i understand more now reading your comments like whether the s13-15 blokes would invite us.
So, if we were to look at it like that, would it be feasible to have a head organizer who also organizes one forum/make (S30 and S31)
And then have someone else who organizes for the Z31/Z32 ect including on their forum and minor fundraising?
And then another on the 350/370Z forums doing the same thing?
It would possibly add a little friendly competition to who could fund raise the most, with the total being donated to the charity in question.
Each respective forum/make would organize their own itinerary, with 1 or 2 designated meet points and a final conglomeration at the end.
Dunno, just my ramblings.

I was speaking to Simon on the phone this evening and we both agreed that it would be great to see Zed's from all the generations lined up for a photo, so passing the word across to other forums would be a great initiative and yes we could lay down the logistics and they could jump on board.

I also said to Simon that we need to contact Nissan Australia down the track and see if they want to be involved as far as maybe supplying us with a chase 4X4 for breakdowns, spares carrying and so on so that they can get some promotional milage out of this which I think wouldn't be a big ask and am pretty sure they would react positively to.

Anyhow, I see the numbers are starting to crank up, but "HEY NSW WAKE UP !"

Cheers

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users