Sign in to follow this  
Sirpent

Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

• Melbourne
    • Victoria rural
    • Victoria on route
    • Sydney
    • NSW rural
    • NSW on route
    • Launceston / Hobart
    • TAS rural
    • TAS on route
    • Brisbane
    • QLD Rural
    • QLD on route
    • Adelaide
    • SA rural
    • SA on route
    • Perth
    • WA Rural
    • WA on route
    • Darwin
    • NT rural
    • NT on route
    • ACT
    • NZ

2014! Wow that is a long way off. At the rate Zeds turn over 20% of the people on here with one won't have one mid 2014.

As I said you have to ask yourself who are you doing the run for?

2014! Wow that is a long way off. At the rate Zeds turn over 20% of the people on here with one won't have one mid 2014.

Not sure what you are reffering to Craig ?

This is becoming like a biblical story...Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the Sirpent and the sirpent didn't have a leg to stand on! Ha! ;D

Rev.

This is becoming like a biblical story...Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the Sirpent and the sirpent didn't have a leg to stand on! Ha! ;D

Rev.

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm reading this all now as if I have a personal agenda.

If I'm right, let me say that its far from it, I always believed this forum had far more potential than just being a net based community and that the camaraderie shown by the small numbers that meet up at times could experience something together far more substantial.

John..My brother, I was attempting to inject some humor into the seemingly serious challenge of organising such an audacious event.  You of all people should know that you have my 100% backing. You are the right guy to pull this off just don't let yourself be peturbed at others opinion.  You're right, when we get together outside of a net based forum conversation is easy, when you type text it is difficult to give a friendly wink as you have 'a bit of a go', keep smiling.

Rev :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Think this topic should be left to stew until Friday when we can all discuss it in person and get back to the general forum populace.

Wow guys sounds awesome, I am in even if i have to take the trip back to victoria and then train it back to W.A.

Just a few points, speaking from the experience of working  for 2 years as a full time tour guide of Uluru ( of course it is not called Ayres Rock anymore nor would it be respectful to call it this) There is limited accomadation at ULURU, which is why most people base out of Alice, Of course there is the caravan park and camp sites that could easily handle our numbers and would be glad to do so 60kms from Uluru. But do not be fooled into thinking there is a plethera of choices.

As a point of interest some may know the original australian "cannaball event" did go along the stuart higway to Uluru, there is even still a remebernce memorial bulit where there was an infamous and fatal accident that call all be read at 'JIMS PLACE' near rainbow valley which will be passed on the way.

To cut a long story short, obviously i have quite a few contacts in the area (uluru and Alice) and a evident passion for this site and as the date becomes closer would be happy to use these contacts to help out where i can. This can be in a few different area's but I am confident i could get us a private and quite unique spot at uluru for sunset and possibly for those that stay at the caravan park slumming it in the tents ands swags possibly organize one of the more respected members of the community to come and possibly give us a bit of a personal persrpective of  what we are experiencing at such a magnificant spot.

** edit out of interest love it could be 2014, i work out this gives me approx 140 odd weeks to save easily , might even pop down tomorrow and make an offset type account and pop $20 per week in should have $2'800 by the time it comes around which should easily cover most predicatable expences and make it much easier pass by the minister of finance, and what a great trip it should be.

That's awesome Kobes, thanks for the offer.  I'm sure we would all appreciate anything you can help us with there.

Great stuff Kobes,

Can you also have a word to your peers in WA and see if you can drum up some interest there also?

Cheers

John

Like Scott, I won't be able to make the meeting so if you are patient I would like to express my feelings here:

I would prefer to keep this event, which I think will be an event of a lifetime, to members of this forum.  This doesn't prevent other Zed owners from joining the forum between now and the event!

I was initially drawn to the value of this event as a fantastic way to bring the members together, to put faces and cars to the names and increase the camaraderie (brother/sisterhood) of the forum members.

The gaining of support/sponsorship and being able to then provide some support to a charity is a bonus.

I see two competing philosophies being expressed here:  one is the improve camaraderie (as I've described above) and the other is to create the mother of all events to break records and/or to provide the largest donation to charity that can be made.

Let me say the both have great merit.

My view, and I repeat my view, would be to have up to about 50 240/260Z's (with some other cars that are used/built by members of this forum) meeting up in the centre for a couple of days between some great cruising drives.

It is my belief, and Kobes is the perfect person to confirm or rebuke this, that if we had say 300 cars (500ish people) involved then the logistics of food and accommodation in the centre would be difficult and/or restrictive.  As an example, I don't know if the camping area nearish the rock can cope with that number (on top of the regular tourists) let alone eateries able to cope with those sorts of numbers.  I suspect that in that case, accommodation and eating would have to be broken up to numbers of about 100 anyway.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I reckon you would find that the 240/260 blokes would stay at place A and eat at place A, the 350/370 blokes would stay and eat at the Sheraton ( ;) ); the 280/300 blokes would stay and eat at place B.  This wouldn't be a problem in say Ballarat but at the centre there may be 200k's between these places!  Not a lot of cross-pollenation would be occurring.

So in essence, if a vote/poll is run, then I vote for keeping it for just us.

I also think that 2012 would be a great year to run this event.  If it is a success administratively, then run it again bigger and better in 2014 for the anniversary - with lessons leared and creases ironed out under significant media and Nissan attention.  ie: have a practise run first in 2012.

My 2 cents (although I have started saving them already.

Thanks for your patience.

MaygZ

PS:  'Blokes' is a non sexist term and in these scenarios it refers to all genders - conforming to the norm or those more colourful.

OK,

Haven't updated this in a number of days for a number of reasons, bet you all thought it had died in the A*se !

Well reason "1" was because we didn't really get to have a long chat about it last Friday night, but did agree we would this coming weekend at Simon's Bash Bog and Jam weekend at his place.

2nd reason was because I was waiting for Nissan to get back to me, and they did this afternoon, from what I was able to relay to them on the phone about what we are planning, they feel this would be a great event they would like to discuss being part of, so much so I was advised that they would like to schedule a meeting with myself and other officials of the club/forum to discuss it and their participation in more detail in the coming week.

Anyhow that's about all for now, will touch base with Lurch and see where we move to from here.

Cheers

John

any updates? I have been putting $50 bucks per week into a special online bank account every week since i heard about this already have $450 tucked away!

So John is this event dead in the water? If not you really need to organise a committe and get the ball rolling.

As a side issue we are all talking about doing a Speed event at the SA salt flats in about a years time. If your Cannonball run does not go ahead maybe down size it to the Speed event?

Cheers

I know its been ages but do you reckon this could still be on the cards?

Did the talks with Nissan happen?

Would be a cracking event.