Sign in to follow this  
Sirpent

Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

• Melbourne
    • Victoria rural
    • Victoria on route
    • Sydney
    • NSW rural
    • NSW on route
    • Launceston / Hobart
    • TAS rural
    • TAS on route
    • Brisbane
    • QLD Rural
    • QLD on route
    • Adelaide
    • SA rural
    • SA on route
    • Perth
    • WA Rural
    • WA on route
    • Darwin
    • NT rural
    • NT on route
    • ACT
    • NZ

Nothing wrong with camping more money on the Z.

It look like I may have a Co Driver by them he should be 16 and have his L plates by them. :o  "Rev" Help me ::) 

As will I, My boy Marcus will be 16 also.

OK I think we might want to try and put this trip into contect. We are probably looking at around $3,000- for the full round trip including fuel and accommodation etc from Victoria. Probably less if you are planning on camping it. But bear in mind you get 4 people into a motel room you will only be looking at around $30- a head max. Camping you will pay for a site for $30- and you will have to bring a lot more stuff. But we can nut that out closer to the time.Now John if I may sort of draft up an itinery for say around July/August on a 90 day trip from Melbourne. That is the bulk of people and everyone from their own states would work in to coinside with the meeting point at Ayres Rock.

Day 1 Drive just past Adelaide to Port Pirie 900klms. Good Caravan park to stay there.

Day 2 Drive to Coober Pedy 637klms. Bit restricted Accommodation but a few on site Van places.

Day 3 Drive to Ayres Rock 600klms? Heaps of Accommodation.

Day 4 Meet and Greet.

Day 5 Climb the Rock

Day 6 Drive around

Day 7 Head home 600klms to Coober Pedy

Day 8 Drive to Port Pirie 637klms

Day 9 Drive to Melbourne 900 klms.

Of course we can do variances on this. But might be a good guide. This is similar to what I did last year. But starts putting things into picture.

Cheers

Craig,

Great minds think alike, or so I like to think LOL

I was doing a map of the potential routes and seeing how they would transpose based on points of departure and suggestions made by ppl throughout this discussion.

And it is it seems that you are correct, Port Pirie will be the first rally point for us all so to say, as you will see in the map below, I have plotted routes based on Google suggested routes encompassing our wish list locations, for Victorians this would be the Great Ocean Road, for the NSW/ACT boys it would be via Bathurst.

What becomes evident is that the trip to Port Pirie will need to be done over 2 days,

Day 1 The ACT/NSW boys would set up camp at Cobar night 1, while the Vic/Tas boys would set up camp probably in Mt Gambier night 1.

Day 2 Meet in Port Pirie and spend the night there, 1st official dinner so to say

Day 3 Drive to Coober Pedy stay overnight

Day 4 Drive to Ayres Rock

Day 5 Ayres rock

Day 6 Drive around

Day 7 Head home 600klms to Coober Pedy

Day 8 Drive to Port Pirie 637klms

Day 9 Drive back to respective starting points.

What are ppl's opinions of this and of course alternative suggestions?

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023625625_thumb.jpg

John, for the record there is no way you will make it from Melbourne to Port Pirie in one day if you want to go via Great Ocean road. We can do that any time. I suggest you change the Melbourne route to be direct for the purposes of these early stages. Then with 6 months to go if a splinter group feel 6 days driving is not enough then they can organise the detour down south. But let's keep it simple for now.

I can tell you these roads to Central Australia are not boring. Especially at 120-140klms which is the current speed limit I think? Plus with a big group, stops and possible mechanical break downs. We won't be bored.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Craig

No offense taken, its just that early on in this thread a number of VIC members suggested that the Great Ocean Road should be the proffered route for the Vic contingent, I'm not phased and was just plotting points based on general concensus which was the idea of creating this map also so that we could move the next step on working out the viable logistics of the trip.

Once again, early early days and I'm sure many will come back with valid points as you have.

What I'm disappointed about so far is the lack of feedback from the NSW and to an extent the WA crews, hopefully this may spur them to get involved.

Cheers

John

Don't worry John. It's difficult to generate interest this far out. Soldier on and as the master plan takes shape with real dates and routes 10-12 months out then we go the hard sell by contacting various Datsun or Zed Clubs around the country. Direct email outs and of course then we do sponsors and charities. To early days for those things yet.

Cheers Craig

Their loss any way if they don't pack a swag and jump on board, but you are right I'm sure there will be a take up if and when the other Zed fraternities are contacted.

In the meanwhile this should be an interesting topic of discussion on Friday when we all meet up, hopefully we can get some general concensus as to a preliminary route and see if we can grow this venture some teeth, so fa the Vic/Tas contingent is at 13, that's a great start.

Cheers

John

I am happy to try and organize the ACT side of things, otherwise, just join  the NSW guys, depends on how many we get.  I reckon the aus300zx forum would have a few people put their hand up, they seem like a good bunch...

I am happy to try and organize the ACT side of things, otherwise, just join  the NSW guys, depends on how many we get.  I reckon the aus300zx forum would have a few people put their hand up, they seem like a good bunch...

Good man Sco, getting word out would be a good thing just to see what interest there is.

Also apologies if I jumped the gun with the route map i put together, but I thought that the ACT crew would enjoy going via Bathurst and doing the run with the (1 to date, good on ya Bro Loui) NSW crew, actually it's him at this stage joining you blokes...........LOL

So question for the mod's and for Gav also, do we give this idea preliminary forum / club sanctioning?

Cheers

John

I think if you start openning up the door to 300ZX's this early then you might find there is more of them than Zeds.

I wouldn't be keen on that at all. I thought it was just Zeds for now?

Just my 20cents.

Id say if it left Japan with a "Z" badge it's in LOL

And if its a purist run as far as motors then Craig and I are out  >:(

Would be nice to get all the generations in.

Not why we discussed earlier, might need another poll.

Maybe there was some confusion between a Zed only and a ZX. In my mind they are a fare bit different models. You could easily get 20-30 300ZX's along. To me I think that would over shadow us! They do there own stuff. Like I suggested before I would be keeping it Zed only for now. Ten with 6-12 months to go maybe water it down if need be. Having said all that I am certainly not adverse to 2- 3 of them coming along. But you contact a few 300Zx Clubs early on with an open invitation and this could change what the run was inteded for in my mind.

I think thats getting way too particular!! If we want number (which we do) the whole Z/ZX crew need to be there!!

Yeh I agree with Benny.  I don't think pride should be dictating what breed of z comes. I think we need a purpose for the trip, like are we doing this only for charity, only so all the 240Z/260Z guys from our forum can meet up, or should it be an epic meet up of all things Nissan/Datsun zed car.  The first and last could be combined making the first part a lot more successful with more people attending.  Could invite Guiness world records or something too...

I got the NDSOC newsletter yesterday and they have mentioned the Nissan/Datsun Nationals are coming back to Victoria in 2013, This could be something that needs to be considered also....  :-\

Let's not get carried away with the guiness world records. We only have maybe 20 takers at present. I was just passing my preference. You guys do what ever you like.

My point is, if we had all types of zeds which = numbers= more money for said charity= more coverage = what my understanding was the initial idea.  I'm just throwing ideas out, no need to take it personal mate.  I am guilty of pride and wanting to keep it only for the early zeds, but like I said, I think we need to decide on what the idea for the trip is.

No offence taken Scott. Pride has nothing to do with it. I thought we covered this earlier and decided to make it Zed only for now and then 8-12 months out look at openning it up if the need was there.

If you start mudying the waters with sponsors, outside money and charities then I am tipping it will never get off the ground. Same as the Tassie trip. You need to focus on why we are doing the trip. It is for us. Not for anyone else. Not media coverage or any charity. Focus on the main game first and get it locked in before considering expanding it to other things.

took the words out of my mouth scott!! It could be an Epic event if we had 100+ cars which is very possible if we include other Z/ZX Clubs from around australia. 20 Cars would be a tad lame if we are labeling it as a big event for charity and trying to get media onboard!!

What about the 280zx?? Seems to be alot of fuss over an X lol!!

I guess like sirpent said maybe we talk about all this on friday and try and get some loose ends nailed down!!

Damn

I step away for an hour and a nuke is let off LOL

OK, here is my take on it, good bad or indifferent, once again this comes down to the general concensus and I think that we will be partaking in some lively but constructive discussion on Friday as a result.

First, if we open the doors to other Zed frats, then we can make it on an application and invitation basis, I agree with Craig the numbers may become overwhelming, but also it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to bring every era of "Z" badged vehicle into the fold, as an example, are we going to tell Simon (Luvemfast) sorry no gig ? Hell that is one unique Z and as far as I'm concerned there is no question.

By doing it this way we can limit overall entries by state and territory and giving first preference to forum members so that we have a good mix and balanced number of cars across the board, Yes I would like to see some 300's 350' and 370's there, and if there is an early fairlady out there that also so that we can celebrate the marque.

Guys there is no right nor wrong answer, its a matter of balance, and as far as the theme for this run, I would say that its celebrating the Z series bringing the forum together as a body nationally and yes taking time out to do something for a worthy cause.

Lets hold off on invitations at the moment, I agree with Craig totally having read his reasoning, and lets concentrate on cementing the event and generating the highest possible patronage first from within our ranks.

OK, you can all take the fingers off the red launch buttons now, I hope.

Cheers

John

I agree, but I don't see the harm in ideas being posted.  I obviously can't attend the meet up so this is my only forum for this event and if I am helping to organize from my area, I would appreciate being informed if any decisions are made at the meet up. :) cheers

Scott,

Think my last response was pretty neutral and I saw and agreed with all the arguments, and yep, you as everyone else has the right to put up an opinion, as I said there are no right nor wrong answers, we are just exploring possibilities.

As for Friday night, I will be glad to minute whats discussed in an abridged manner and post them here for further discussion / agreement and your support in being a contact point in the ACT is I am sure very appreciated by everyone.

Maybe you may want to meet up with other ACT members and have a drink and a chat about this at some stage and also report back ?

Cheers

John

Yeh, there is already something in the pipe line.  Not at all having a go John, just pointing out that though Vic has the largest memer base, it is an Australian forum and I think everyone in other states would appreciate your above email, thanks mate.  BTW I expect minutes and nothing less!!! :P

OK, He said, They said, She said then LMAO

Also I have made contact through my contacts with Nissan Australia this afternoon, will update as things progress.

I think its going to have to be 2014, 45th anniversary of the "Z"

Cheers

John