Sign in to follow this  
Sirpent

Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

• Melbourne
    • Victoria rural
    • Victoria on route
    • Sydney
    • NSW rural
    • NSW on route
    • Launceston / Hobart
    • TAS rural
    • TAS on route
    • Brisbane
    • QLD Rural
    • QLD on route
    • Adelaide
    • SA rural
    • SA on route
    • Perth
    • WA Rural
    • WA on route
    • Darwin
    • NT rural
    • NT on route
    • ACT
    • NZ

Fuel wise, I will point out from experience, it will be a lot more than $1.50 as it is now, let alone in a few years.  Back when fuel was around $1.00p/l, it was $1.50 in the centre of Aus...  Just some advice from experience.

OK, point taken, so lets do the fuel at $2.00 a Lt x 500 Lt's totals to $1000.00

Some people are glass half empty, some are half full.  Please remember that both types are right!

I know that I will be banking on $4000 cash with me for what I think will be closer to 14 days, as who really wants to rush what will probably be a trip of a lifetime.  I will also budget for about $1000 of pre-trip servicing and spare parts (hoses, belts, fluids and odds and sods).

So I, and I emphasise I, reckon it will be a $5000, 2 week holiday for me.

I reckon it will be 100% worth every penny.

Simon, I based it on 7 days, that was the original discussion, and these are only trip costs, what you spend prior to get the car ready that's each to his own, actually you and I will probably spend the better part of $20,000 each in the lead up as things are at the moment.

What I'm getting at is I cant see another $6000.00 in this trip, and until I am shown otherwise by a display of costs that have eluded me, and if they do surface and are justified, I'm happy to eat humble pie, why the hell would you want to deter people by posting a figure of $10,000 ??????????????????????????????

Best I just shut my F*CKING trap and leave this forum !

Don't get all emo about it.

I was just putting up what I expect to pay for what will be a fantastic trip - based on a great idea fron YOU.

Hi

I am from the Illawarra and have driven some of the dirt aorund Alice/the rock a few years back. The idea of an all points meeting in the centre would be great. I also have some busienss relationships with both motorsport and media that may be interesting for assistance/promotion. the fundraising backbone would be a great base to work from too.

My zed would be definitely going!

Look forward to hearing more

Simon

I'm not going EMO at you, I understood what you wrote and appreciate you want to make it a real event as do the rest of us who discussed this, what I'm EMO about is the $10,000 tag put on it without any justification, we want to build numbers and get a proper costing done based on those potential numbers not cut it down at the knees before it even has a chance to take sprout !

Typical tall poppy syndrome at its best.

Hi

I am from the Illawarra and have driven some of the dirt aorund Alice/the rock a few years back. The idea of an all points meeting in the centre would be great. I also have some busienss relationships with both motorsport and media that may be interesting for assistance/promotion. the fundraising backbone would be a great base to work from too.

My zed would be definitely going!

Look forward to hearing more

Great to hear, and would love some feedback from you on the roads and logistics

Cheers

John

Just to add

A friend and I were planning a trip like this many years ago. I didn't end up going but he did from Melbourne to Alice over the Christmas holidays. He went in a datsun 1200 with his girlfriend and he defiantly didn't get anywhere near spending 10k. I know a 1200 runs on an oily rag but when I spoke to him accommodation and meals were not that expensive etc

I look forward to seeing some more real costs :)

Think this is a really great idea an since I didn't get to do it last time I really hope to go

Anyway hope to see more positive discussion about this.

Ash

i think we'd find that we could get group rates at a lot of places, for a LOT of things, hell, maybe even meals and entertainment too!

As for fuel, yep, thats going to be the deal breaker for a few people, particularly when it costs more in the outback.

So, a possible suggestion (i really dont know how feasible this is)

Surely one of the support vehicles will have a towbar, right? Could we get a small 1000L tanker trailer, fill it on the way somewhere before the price rises rapidly and offset some of the fuel costs over the group?

If your saying that a good average is 10L per 100kms, and its 1000kms return, then that tanker would supplement 10 people.

If it were 10 people who had their cars tuned to run on premium only, it may be worthwhile?

Alan

I understand that fuel costs are a contentious issue, so even if you bank on a Lt of fuel costing $0.50 more for 75% of the trip and based on a 500 Lt consumption that would work out to a cost of approximately $175.00.

So you don't eat and drink for a day to make up the difference LOL  ;)

Dragging a 1000 Lt fuel trailer (read 1400 kg fuel and tank trailer ) around will probably cost near close to that in fuel consumption.

What I may be able to do is get a fuel card that we can all use that will give us a discount off the PUMP price, I developed one in my last job and could arrange one, 20 cars at 500 Lt's  would be 10,000 Lt's, something to think about?

Cheers

John

There is no way a trip like this would cost 10K. All costs aside from spend on your car is fuel, accommodation and food. Simple. Around $3,000- max I would reckon, depending on your location of course. If it was 10K no one would go. Hell I would do Targa Tassie first :-\. Also accommodation could be anything from $50- to $250- a night. That is dependant on your Budget. We can work that out late. Hell somepeople might want to tent it?

Nizmozed I am not sure where you get your facts and figures from.

The most stretch between fuel fill ups is around 500klms max. Probably really 450 I know I did the trip last year and pulling a Van my Turbo Territory only got 400-450 on a tank of fuel. I only ran out once with 5klms to spare just out of Coober Pedy. But I had a chance to fill before then anyway. So most Zeds with 20litres fuel in a seperate canister in their car will make the journey no worries. Especially if we all carried one. Between us we could all share it around if someone ran out.

Let's not focus on negative problems that don't exist otherwise you will never get it off the ground. Stop scaring people away and focus on the positives.  :D

Let's not focus on negative problems that don't exist otherwise you will never get it off the ground. Stop scaring people away and focus on the positives.  :D

Well said

And that's not having a go at Nizmo either, I think he had a valid concern and discussion always goes some way to alleviating them, but for anyone thinking of posting a big negative in this thread, consider your argument carefully first and be prepared to back it up.

Cheers

John

Guys I know it far off but I will be camping most of the way in an effort to reduce cost. I ran into a bunch in ceduna (car Club) last year going across to perth they had there own Chuck wagon  :) and were having a ball.

this is my current outfit

post-2704-144023625541_thumb.jpg

post-2704-14402362555_thumb.jpg

For me, and possibly others, the biggest (and maybe only?) negative point is the expense of fuel over the entire trip.

for accomodation at worst, i can take a tent ;D

The reality is that the ONLY way i'll be able to go, is if i convince the missus that it'll be a family holiday.

so now i have fuel costs for 2 cars there and back, accomodation and meals for a family and any other associated costs.

If i were to say "but honey, its only going to cost us $800 in fuel all up" I'd get shot down soo damn fast i wouldn't even know i was off the ground.

Im also not saying we should dwell on lots of negatives, but i think its a good idea to discuss the common ones that may turn people off and work out some possible solutions, so that when they are discussing it with partners they can say "Its only $800 worth of fuel, but we have a fuel card discount, or we have a reserve of fuel from a cheaper location, So it makes it more affordable over the whole trip"

As for a generalised statement like "it'll cost $10k per person" thats just stupid. (no offence to whoever that was)

(I know it wont be $800 worth of fuel, its just a number, but two cars there and back could be quite close to that)

I did a car club weekend to port maquarie 2 years ago, even though that was only 3 days of the car meet, it ballooned into almost 10 days on holidays with the family. Making it into a trip like that was the only feasible way.

Alan

I understand your concern, couple of points.

#1 If you are the sole occupant of your vehicle, Yep $800 for fuel, but if you share the ride that's half each, $400 isn't that bad.

#2 I could suggest that maybe we deposit funds into the club account, call it a fuel levy starting a year ahead, that way your fuel cost will be covered by the time we leave?

I think we can all come up with a lot of innovative ideas if we put our heads together.

Cheers

John

snip

As for a generalised statement like "it'll cost $10k per person" thats just stupid. (no offence to whoever that was)

RIGHT, time to nip this in the bud.

NOWHERE did I say it was going to cost 10K per person.

Some poster's are taking  the entire post out of context.

I wrote is that I would allow 10K (this is what I would do, not what anyone else wants to do), this includes fuel for 2 vehicles, some breakdown expenses (if anyone doesn't believe that your not going to get a flat or something else relatively minor, then you're living in dream land or I want your next weeks Tatts numbers, accommodation for 3-4 people, service vehicle, food etc for 2 weeks. My lot won't camp.

Incidentally, If you divide 10K by 4, that's comes to 2.5K per person for 14 days or $178 per day. Some will make it shorter, some perhaps longer.

Non the less it's not an unreasonable amount considering the life experience.

Personally, I reckon that I'd come home with  change, but at the very most my ass won't hanging out of my pants by bad budgeting.

As for sharing expenses, some will, some can't. In my case I'm left holding the entire bag.

Anyone else who wants to quote me out of context can continue to flame, but remember, my original post was just a reality check....

Buddy this was your first post on the matter of cost

The reality check will be in the cost & time to do this.

My guess is 2 weeks, $10K and a long piece of string.

If properly put together it COULD attract a lot of international attention.

The 50th anniverary of the S-30 (1969-2019) could be the perfect catalyst for this adventure !

Be prepared to spend a shiver load of money either way.

I asked you to quantify it and called it flippant as the way it reads, it would suggest that a person making this trip was looking at $10G

And yes you did come back and cover the 2 vehicle, 4 man scenario, but as was suggested back to you, I doubt there will be a support vehicle per vehicle, and I grant that your explanation now does carry water, but why didn't you just explain it that way to start with? the problem was that a lot of readers would have seen your post and puked at the thought of spending that much, that's the reason for my initial reaction.

So now we are all in agreement that a ceiling estimate of around $3000 is about correct, now can we get on with planning this as opposed to tearing each other 2nd "A" holes?

Cheers

John

P.S. Lurch you can post the GIF or MJ when you are ready, I know you must be enjoying this LOL

I am almost afraid to post this but here goes

Guys I think you are getting bogged down on the issue around cost to early, nobody is forcing anyone to go, yes I have said I would like to go but my situation could change at any moment I dont even have a car on the road, fuel will cost what ever it is at the time I can't change that, I know how far it is. If I canot afford to go one my one income pension then I wont go, "but I do plan to," even If I went half way and back I would not be unhappy, the fellowship that arises out of an event like this is magnificent, I try to do the ulysses motorcycle AGM each year and we get up to 6000 people in attendence please keep your eyes on the big picture. Yes a budget is needed but there is plenty of bugs to work out first, you cant come up with a budget until an event plan is formulated. keep up the good work Sirpent and all those that will help to make this a great trip.

just my 2c  "Flame on"

Linton

Here Here Linton

+ Karma for you

+1 from me also..........

And apologies Linton for not replying to the post of your rig and kit, very nice, and the idea of a Chuck wagon is a novel one, maybe best though if we were to use a U-haul type concealed unit that we could all donate towards.

Linton, hope you don't mind me asking, but you mentioned you are on a pension and would be camping so as to reduce costs if need be.

I know it may be a personal issue, but could I ask you to share your circumstances?

The great thing about this forum is that we are all mates, even if we only know one and other by a profile avatar or user name, and I think a bit like the armed forces, "We never leave a man behind !"

If this comes about, don't think for a moment that you will do half the trip, I'm sure we can all share some of the load with you.

Agreed  :D

One thing that I will be considering is camping some of the nights instead of hotels... can save some dollars this way too!!

One thing that I will be considering is camping some of the nights instead of hotels... can save some dollars this way too!!

Me too.  maybe we could camp it up together  :-*

haha dont get to excited... ::) for those on a very tight budget it might make it possible...

Lurch,

move to National events???

Nothing wrong with camping more money on the Z.

It look like I may have a Co Driver by them he should be 16 and have his L plates by them. :o  "Rev" Help me ::)   

if theres a good amount of interest in camping im sure we can organize that as well as hotels for those interested closer to the date!!