Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

Sirpent

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

• Melbourne
    • Victoria rural
    • Victoria on route
    • Sydney
    • NSW rural
    • NSW on route
    • Launceston / Hobart
    • TAS rural
    • TAS on route
    • Brisbane
    • QLD Rural
    • QLD on route
    • Adelaide
    • SA rural
    • SA on route
    • Perth
    • WA Rural
    • WA on route
    • Darwin
    • NT rural
    • NT on route
    • ACT
    • NZ

Guys

I have been thinking about something for a few months now, mentioned it to a couple of members in passing and have decided to post this up to see what the general concensus is.

This forum has members from all over Australia and it would be great to create a unique event that gave everyone no matter where they are a chance to congregate and enjoy an event and truly bring us all together as a National group.

Therefore Ive come up with the idea running our own cannonball run.

The idea would be to start a run from all states at a time where all participants would meet up in the heart of Australia - Alice Springs.

The Melbourne group for instance would run across Western Vic via Adelaide, Port Augusta, Woomera, Coober Pedy, Marla, Ghan and then Alice.

Melbourne crew - 2244 km's

Adelaide crew - 1532 km's

Sydney crew - 2785 km's via Port Augusta SA where we would meet up for the remaining leg

Brisbane crew - 2993 km's

Perth crew - 3600 km's via Port Augusta also but with the advantage of doing the Nullarbor

Darwin crew - 1498 km's

This would need a lot of advance planning and preparation, and would probably be a 7 day minimal event, but I think it might make for some great documentary material also that could generate some big interest, I have some idea's.

Can anyone imagine the sight of 100 Zed's in Alice?

Cheers

John

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

id love to do a cannonball run!! they're awesome... everyone save up your demerit points!!

Ben

Speed is not the idea here,  ;) sure there will be opps for some straight out mayhem, but moreso its to do a national all points run visit the sights and end up doing a "What happens in Alice stays in Alice" event.  8)

Just watched the movie not long ago, its a great idea but your right about it having a lot of planning and preparation required (CB radios and radar detectors are illegal aren't they?)  ;)

If you plan on doing it in a couple years time ill def have my zed by then plus it wont be illegal for me to modify the engine as i will be on my full license, yeah for turbo ;D

I surprisingly still have all my demerit points (hope i haven't jinxed it) haha

sounds great! I'd like to suggest another component, we could do it and support a charity at the same time with getting sponsorships etc and collecting along the way.  It just so happens I know of a charity that works with childhood victims of abuse who always needs help.  Just a suggestion, it's great if we can have an event and give back to the future of our country.

Rev

sounds great! I'd like to suggest another component, we could do it and support a charity at the same time with getting sponsorships etc and collecting along the way.  It just so happens I know of a charity that works with childhood victims of abuse who always needs help.  Just a suggestion, it's great if we can have an event and give back to the future of our country.

Rev

Rev

Thats Brilliant !

Im sure the media would get behind it also, maybe it could be a topic of discussion at the meeting on the 6th.

How about everyone puts on their thinking caps and uses the thread for some brainstorming.

And I am deadly serious about this, I for one want to do it.

Hi guys,

I have done a hypothetical itinerary for the possible Vic run to Alice just to see how something like this would sit with everyone, feedback and suggestions very welcome.

Cheers

John

22351_86d3899c4de1ce48a4b4ed64df440dc534c3013b.pdf

Simon,

If you didnt notice, Im actually your age, so maybe just snake without the boy LMAO

So what do you think, rasonable as far as timing duration distances etc?

Simon,

If you didnt notice, Im actually your age, so maybe just snake without the boy LMAO

So what do you think, rasonable as far as timing duration distances etc?

Sorry SnakeMAN.

Or as you are my age, should it read

SnakeOld Fart  ;D

Along with Lurch, I reckon we can tweak the route a bit to increase our already dangerous blood pressure levels.  8 hours driving with 7.5 of them in 5th (or 'D' for Scoota  ;D ).  We can do better than that I reckon.  I'm sure the Sydney boys will come via Bathurst, so we have to find a route better than them.

Maybe via Mildura, Broken Hill and Port Pirie.  Don't know what the roads are like that way but we could meet the NSW and QLD guys in Broken Hill and the SA and WA blokes at Port Pirie or Port Augusta.  Then a group cruise up the centre.

I now suspect that it will be challenging to find good roads, unless we go to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road  ;D  We could still meet the other states in Port Augusta/Port Pirie, but we would have some fun for the first day or so!

rather then going back through Adelaide can we go from Alice to NSW somewhere then home??

Ben lack of sealed roads to do that

Ovvy, The only thing I don't like about this idea is the lack of twisty roads.

Is there any way to shake up the route a bit???

Good point, on the way back it could go via Marree and through the Flinders ranges national park via Parachilna, Blinman, and Hawker which is about 150+ Km's of winding roads down to Port Augusta

But the S.A. boys would know better I'm just looking at Goggle and sat photo's

LMAO Simon

Sorry posted when you did so missed your reply.

OK that's all good, so what we need is for members to report in with the nastiest roads they know of between major point to point locations so we end up with flat out straight runs followed by Adrenalin pumping sections, I agree totally with all of you, so lets start to work out a "Kamikaze Run"

I think we would have to also try and schedule for best weather options it can get real hot out around the flinders and Pt Pirie etc.

Rev.

Agreed Rev, obviously would need some average seasonal data for the intended routes.

OK just did a detailed point to point Melbourne to Adelaide 90% via the coast, total just over 1000 Km's, doable in a day with co-drivers

Melbourne VIC

Apollo Bay VIC

Warrnambool VIC

Portland VIC

Nelson VIC

Port MacDonnell SA

Nene Valley SA

Carpenter Rocks SA

Southend SA

Murray Bridge SA

Adelaide SA

post-1356-144023624423_thumb.jpg

Hey Australia has a National Capital that has zeds too....  I'm keen too.  Maybe we could approach some of the T.V channels to cover it and even get sponsors to help raise money too.

Sorry Scott,

no offence intended.  I make the mistake of thinking of you guys as NSWmen.  I mean no offence by that either  ???

Note:  It could be worse, I could put you guys in the same basket (case) with the crow eaters  ;D

Im hoping my car will finally be running by then, and i'll have money, so other than that, im keen as ;D

I have to get it ready for my wedding which is before then, so hopefully it'll be still driveable afterwards.

A thought though, perhaps we consider our other 'Nissan/Datsun' brothers and ask if they want to make their own cannonball runs in each respective group, meeting up at the final destination only? (and maybe coincidentally along the way)

would make for one hell of an impromptu car show in Alice.

I would also suggest that whatever date is chosen, make sure it'll also accomodate partners/school holidays ect ect, it'll make it a lot easier for people to justify it as a family holiday (and bring a support car)

A thought though, perhaps we consider our other 'Nissan/Datsun' brothers and ask if they want to make their own cannonball runs in each respective group, meeting up at the final destination only? (and maybe coincidentally along the way)

would make for one hell of an impromptu car show in Alice.

I would also suggest that whatever date is chosen, make sure it'll also accomodate partners/school holidays ect ect, it'll make it a lot easier for people to justify it as a family holiday (and bring a support car)

"Are we there yet?"

LOL it will be a long stint, but yes understandable and agree, we have to pick a date that takes some advantages of the weather and also holidays, somehow I think September would be a possible good time, then again I'm sure if it goes ahead we can poll possible dates for best overall fit.

As far as opening it up to all Datsun marques, I'm personally not for it, and its just my personal opinion, please don't get me wrong and I have a number of reasons for it which I'm happy to go into if asked.

Cheers

John