Cannonball Z Run 2013 / 2014

Sirpent

Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Please read initial post on page 1 of this thread for updates as to status of this event, also please cast your participation in the poll.

• Melbourne
    • Victoria rural
    • Victoria on route
    • Sydney
    • NSW rural
    • NSW on route
    • Launceston / Hobart
    • TAS rural
    • TAS on route
    • Brisbane
    • QLD Rural
    • QLD on route
    • Adelaide
    • SA rural
    • SA on route
    • Perth
    • WA Rural
    • WA on route
    • Darwin
    • NT rural
    • NT on route
    • ACT
    • NZ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any S-30.

I'm in.  So are we going to only limit this to the 240/260Zs?  Or will it be any Zed of any breed (engine etc)?

Id say if it left Japan with a "Z" badge it's in LOL

And if its a purist run as far as motors then Craig and I are out  >:(

Would be nice to get all the generations in.

There is no gravel roads to or around Ayres Rock.

I'd be looking at returning via the Flinders Ranges (Wilipena Pound)- Broken Hill and expect gravel. But then again all those hours sitting in Race seats mightn't be a good idea.........

I'd be in and can speak for at least 3 other Z's from Gold Coast/Brisbane QLD.

I'll keep bringing it up in conversation so I'm sure a few more would be keen to jump on board.

James

I think you would be pushing any S30 with any configuration motor.

But if there was interest from other "Z" models then I wouldn't discount them. If you want numbers and we do for an event like this you need to be open minded. A bit like the Tassie or Thredbo runs. We would prefer old time Zeds but if the odd different car cames along so be it.

Remember a trip like this is possibly a one off experience and the people are what make it. I guess you would just make a judgement call closer to the time for outsider cars etc. But lets not make to many restrictive participant rules yet. You might want them later when reality sets in and some people start pulling the pin closer to the kick off date.

For those tossing around detours etc. I think we should put them to one side for the minute. Lets concentrate on the core tour here. That is up to Ayres Rock and home again. It's a bloody long way and people may not want to go any further. Detours and side trips can be organised by off shoot groups late on when the trip is locked and loaded.  ;)

Id have to agree on the Z badge thing, i understand more now reading your comments like whether the s13-15 blokes would invite us.

So, if we were to look at it like that, would it be feasible to have a head organizer who also organizes one forum/make (S30 and S31)

And then have someone else who organizes for the Z31/Z32 ect including on their forum and minor fundraising?

And then another on the 350/370Z forums doing the same thing?

It would possibly add a little friendly competition to who could fund raise the most, with the total being donated to the charity in question.

Each respective forum/make would organize their own itinerary, with 1 or 2 designated meet points and a final conglomeration at the end.

Dunno, just my ramblings.

Id have to agree on the Z badge thing, i understand more now reading your comments like whether the s13-15 blokes would invite us.

So, if we were to look at it like that, would it be feasible to have a head organizer who also organizes one forum/make (S30 and S31)

And then have someone else who organizes for the Z31/Z32 ect including on their forum and minor fundraising?

And then another on the 350/370Z forums doing the same thing?

It would possibly add a little friendly competition to who could fund raise the most, with the total being donated to the charity in question.

Each respective forum/make would organize their own itinerary, with 1 or 2 designated meet points and a final conglomeration at the end.

Dunno, just my ramblings.

I was speaking to Simon on the phone this evening and we both agreed that it would be great to see Zed's from all the generations lined up for a photo, so passing the word across to other forums would be a great initiative and yes we could lay down the logistics and they could jump on board.

I also said to Simon that we need to contact Nissan Australia down the track and see if they want to be involved as far as maybe supplying us with a chase 4X4 for breakdowns, spares carrying and so on so that they can get some promotional milage out of this which I think wouldn't be a big ask and am pretty sure they would react positively to.

Anyhow, I see the numbers are starting to crank up, but "HEY NSW WAKE UP !"

Cheers

John

:P Hey Loui, what's your ETA @ Silverwater on sun 1st . I'm looking at being there abt 11ish , the cook is not to keen on hanging arnd for to long , but she's in for a shock. It's a bloody long walk back to the Mntns, Ha Ha. 

Regards: Alan.

so, with the numbers how they are, should we just do it in Vic?

That's why there is the Tassie run Niz,

No I would say that in the next few days the numbers will grow, however may be an idea to get in contact with the satate moderators in WA NT and other Zed class forums to see if there is any interest.

If you got to 40 initial confirmations, then we could go the next step and start looking at preliminary routes time schedules and accommodation etc, then I would say you would have another influx on interest.

This is doable but its still very early days.

The reality check will be in the cost & time to do this.

My guess is 2 weeks, $10K and a long piece of string.

If properly put together it COULD attract a lot of international attention.

The 50th anniverary of the S-30 (1969-2019) could be the perfect catalyst for this adventure !

Be prepared to spend a shit load of money either way.

The reality check will be in the cost & time to do this.

My guess is 2 weeks, $10K and a long piece of string.

Be prepared to spend a shiver load of money either way.

Can you quantify that figure ?

I wouldn't be posting a flippant value unless you can back it up, sorry to be so blunt.

Cheers

John

I'll be equally blunt as well.

What do you see the cost associated with such an event? It's not a Sunday drive on good tarmac.

You've got people talking service vehicles, so it's already up to 4 people per car (2 in a zed & 2 in service).

I know from practical experience that any long distance event costs. even if you camp all the way, it's still going to cost big $$$

From last year, the BP rally which was only 3 days for 4 people 1 Competition car and service vehicle worked out at $1000 per day. This included accomodation, meals, entry fees, etc. It left a very empty feeling in our back pockets especially after we crashed out on day 2.

I'll make some enquiries on how much crews spent on the Red Centre Rally that was held a couple of years ago, don't faint when I post them, even camping out I doubt you could do all of that under $500 per day.

But

Mike

Mike, perhaps you can PM John with those details as I'm sure every bit of info would be appreciated and allow some good insight on costing etc. 

I think the major drive of this thread right now is to get a glimpse of who's interested and encourage people to 'live beyond the average' and have a go at something that will push people, cars and cash to the limits.  These environments are where people often forge lifelong friendships, display abnormal courage and discover a world bigger than their everyday life, I know it will have a cost but the investment may just be well worth it!

Rev.

Mike

lets get something clear here,

First this isn't a rally, it a sealed road drive.

Second, we ain't talking about a service vehicle per entry, if that was the case and your car is so far down the maintained standard then don't even consider this drive.

Third if you head back to page 1 of this thread, you will see a prelim costing I did, yeah yeah I know it wont be 100% accurate, but it does detail a proposed rout ex Melbourne, better still here are the break downs.

Fuel $750

Total run distance return = 4508 Km's, lets round that off to 4750 Km's for of the route travel also

At 10 Km per litre that would be 475 litres, lets round that off at 500 Lt's

At $1.50 P/Lt lets call that a fuel cost of $750.00 I wont even halve that per passanger.

Accommodation $790.00

The PDF on page one details actual accommodation costs which I enquired about, please refer to that document.

Incidentals and meals $2000.00

Per day over 7 days / nights I allowed for $800.00, that's light i admit, so lets increase that by 150% it for our more adventurous member conesours.

So to recap

Fuel $750.00

Accommodation $790.00

Incidentals $ 2000.00

Total $3540

OK, just in case, lets add another 10% onto that for what ever, lets call it a contingency $345.00

Total $3885.00

Now how do we make up the balance of $6115.00 ?

Some people are glass half empty, some are half full.  Please remember that both types are right!

I know that I will be banking on $4000 cash with me for what I think will be closer to 14 days, as who really wants to rush what will probably be a trip of a lifetime.  I will also budget for about $1000 of pre-trip servicing and spare parts (hoses, belts, fluids and odds and sods).

So I, and I emphasise I, reckon it will be a $5000, 2 week holiday for me.

I reckon it will be 100% worth every penny.

Fuel wise, I will point out from experience, it will be a lot more than $1.50 as it is now, let alone in a few years.  Back when fuel was around $1.00p/l, it was $1.50 in the centre of Aus...  Just some advice from experience.