New to zcar

Hey you going guys I'm  new to the zcar, im mates with a guy with a 240z, his known as zedls1 on this site.  I fell in live with his car when he took me for a spin in it. I'm 16 years old and I recently got given a tf cortina s pack for my first car, but I would love to get a cheap 240 in good condition but also enough for a project while I'm doing my apprenticeship. If anyone has any info please let me know I'll be very greatful. Thank you very much and I hope my datsun life begins soon.

So your a young mate of John's? Welcome :)

I would love to get a cheap 240 in good condition but also enough for a project while I'm doing my apprenticeship.

Hahahahaha........................................!

Yeah I'm a mate of his. What's funny about the project 240z

The likelyhood of you finding a 'cheap' 240Z project is slim to none, I'm afraid.

Also building a Zed on an apprentice wage is nigh on impossible ( I should know...).

First of all, Welcome.

Z's are the sort of thing's that are never finished. So no need to be in a rush. Also, you may own a few over time.

So as a young buck, maybe a 2+2 would be a better place to start until you can afford a 240Z.

Or even ...... God forbid  :o a 280ZX

And, go easy Lurch, he's just a young squire  ::)

• Administrators

I think where Lurch is coming from and may not be very obvious when you first join the site is that:

1. Everyone is on the look out for a cheap 240z project. Unfortunately cheap and 240z are starting to become oxymoron's. You used to be able to pick up a cheap project, but there are far more people looking for a project than projects for sale. So a car that you used to be able to get for peanuts will often start around $5k and need some serious work.

There are however a few exceptions and a couple of shells / stripped down have sold recently for a couple of grand. Which is amazing value really.

2. I've never been an apprentice but I have been a broke Uni student. It ain't easy trying to fix up any old car on a salary like that, but if you are in the trade and in particular doing panel beating / body work then you could be in a good position.

It really is the bodywork on these cars that costs the most money. That and missing interior trim. The mechanical stuff in my opinion is pretty straight forward and not too expensive.

I was 16 when I fell in love with Z's, and bought my first 1 at 17. However what the others have said it true, it's a long term project no need to rush. Hope you have space in a garage and patient parents. Looking back my mum was great, letting me take over the freshly built garage for my messy car parts. Mind you she always wanted a 240z in her younger days so that may have helped.

Thanks for all your help especially "luvsemfast" you have help out a fair bit. Appreciate the thought on if I'd be able to wager a big project it gives me a bigger perspective of how much these beasts really are.

And to gav240z, luckily for me I was selected out of 12 students to enter a tafe course which allows me to learn panel beating, spray painting, automotive and auto electrical subjects meaning I'm getting the best of all car worlds. The only problem which I'd have to factor in will be the funding but we'll see how it all goes out

Mark

Ps to loveemfast is a 12,000 260z with minor bodywork minor rust is expensive

And to gav240z, luckily for me I was selected out of 12 students to enter a tafe course which allows me to learn panel beating, spray painting, automotive and auto electrical subjects meaning I'm getting the best of all car worlds. The only problem which I'd have to factor in will be the funding but we'll see how it all goes out

Mark

Ps to loveemfast is a 12,000 260z with minor bodywork minor rust is expensive

Welcome,

Like the guys said, its hard to get a look in on limited funds, but where there is a will there is a way.

Interesting about your apprentership, if you play your cards right with those type of qualifications, you could turn away from the floor and head straight into motor loss assessing, I should know as when i was an assessor with AAMI the drop out rate of apprentices from the trade was around 60+ % and a lot of the good ones became assessors.

Then again, a good tradesman with all the right skills can easily eclipse an assessors wage, unfortunately the vast majority don't.

Which TAFE? sound like it may be Batman if I guess correctly.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Yep you guessed correctly there was 7 lucky ones who got in.

My project isn't rock solid but I'd have to talk it over with my dad who was previosly a well respected motor mechanic.

Thank you

Mark

Hi Mark,

What John said about drop out rate is pretty normal across all trades. 60-odd % and that's after completing the apprenticeship. A few guys drop out during indentures also.

I did 2 trades. First as a Fitter and Turner. When I was at TAFE one of the old trainers said..."Look to your left, and then look to your right, the guy sitting each side of you will not be in this trade by the time you reach 40"....

I did not believe it at the time, but he was correct.

That old saying ..." good to have a trade to fall back on"... is not correct!

It should be ..."good to have a trade and never fall back"...

Wishing you all the best with your TAFE course. Sounds exciting.

Sometimes we fall down first time around, but that doesn't mean we quit. Just got to go around again for a better look.

Regards,

Scottz

Hey

Thanks heaps Scottz

It's that motivation aswell as other things that keep me going in the Trade. My teacher aswell made us do that head turning thing. Thanks heaps everyone. Hopefully my project goes to plan I just saw in just cars a 280zx (ew) for 1000 bucks but had heaps of issues. I'm hoping to start next year when h start my apprenticeship I'm hoping for a 240 but as you guys said before, a 260 is much more reasonable. Just wondering is it the age that causes the 240 to be mire expensive

it does have rust... it is fairly straight and appears to be matching numbers. It has got a VERY thick coat of paint so dont be surprised to find nasties under there. IIRC ut has rust in the hatch and slam panel, front guard and other typical places.

Don't completely write off the 280ZX, I was throwing a stock one around the track on street tread and holding my own with a few 240s and some NA Skyline's.

Problem is most of them look like crap - something about that front end that's just wrong but with some tweaking you can get them looking pretty tough and their cheap.

James

1st: hey John I meant learners drive not leathers

2nd: does anyone have a position available for a first year motor mechanic apprenticship or something in the field mostly a mechanic shop not a panel beater thank you

If somebody could get back it would be greatly appreciated

Mark