HID Head Lights

rb25240z

After driving my zed in the rain last night I really noticed how much I need new head lights. I have been looking at the new HID classic set up that thezstore sells (http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/EA29/33-2069). Just wanted to know if anyone has them in there car and if so what they are like. There is a few photos of them shinning on garage doors around but interested if anyone has used them out on the road.

Holly smokes  :o and whistles and bells ....370 bucks + postage.......

Better be good.

I bought an upgrade from ProStreetLighting for $70+$55 postage, not yet installed but very soon.

AutoPal also have upgrades at similar prices.

I'm sure the HID is brilliant, but the cost makes me cringe.

My problem was my stock headlights were rubbish. I use to drive around with high beams on and no one would know. After driving a new car with hids they seemed even worse. There are other kits out that are cheaper, but I don't think the are real hids. Then there are other real kits but they are more expensive and the have the bug eyed look. This is the first set I have seen that offer hids and the classic look of sealed beam headlights.

Upgrading the head light loom is probably a very good start Mossy. Its a shame my wiring is a mix of 260z and r32 so I will probably have to make up my own.

Garvice did you get yours from Ben on Hybridz I think he my sell them to zstore? Does the kit replace much of the stock wiring or do they plug into the old head light plugs?

Yeah I got them off Ben. He got them manufactured in some asian country, but I was extremely surprised with the quality.

They essentially are plug and play but they also have a new feed to the battery (essentially are a relay upgrade harness aswell).

They sound good. Think I will give the relays a go this weekend and see how bigger difference they make. Can only help if I still upgrade to HID's.  I'm fairly sure that the stock set up to the headlight is a constant +v and switched -v from head light switch for low/high. So the load of the light's will still go through the switch with out relays.

I'm with Scottz, I bought some off ebay for about $120 delivered. I've yet to try them in the standard reflector housings tho... I suspect they'll be terrible and I'll need decent projector housings to mount them in, which is likely to be more than $200, so at $380 if i hadn't already bought my lights I would probably just get these to save the stuffing around... They would need to be REALLY good housings tho!

I'm fairly sure that the stock set up to the headlight is a constant +v and switched -v from head light switch for low/high. So the load of the light's will still go through the switch with out relays

The return comes back through the switch though. If you use the Relay the the headlight switch only sends the signal to the relay.

• Moderators

I do have some HID bulbs (proper xenon 35W globes with a H4 base) and ballasts that can convert any headlight insert that takes a standard H4 globe with a filament to convert to HID. Only problem is especially with the zed, is you will have to butcher the rear of the headlight bucket to accommodate the large connector that goes onto the rear of the globe. Also, the headlight has to have a lightshield that cuts off half the beam and another down side is you lose high beam. That's the cost of a this setup unless you can afford a bi-xenon setup.

Narva H4 replacements are awesome.  I did the conversion ages ago and it was totally worth it.  Haven't had any problems with the wiring getting hot or anything.  A shed load cheaper than HID and IMHO better light. 

He got both rhd and lhd beam patterns made. Not sure what z store are selling though as I haven't checked their site.

Big call on the narva lights. Didn't know someone had run then side by side with this hid kit.  ;D

No no.  No HiD.  Just saying instead of HiD, the narva H4 replacements are really good, no extra lights or anything.

and IMHO better light.

Oh, so a theoretical not empirical statement ;) or did I read it wrong and you were just saying that Narva was better then factory lights (I think my LED lenser torch puts out more then the factory sealed beams. HA).

Started upgrading my loom, will hopefully be installed by the weekend to test the difference before I go HID. I have 90/100 H4 s already but there really dull. Before I pulled the loom I tested the voltage at the head light and with a battery voltage of 14v I only got 9v. Looking forward to finding out the results.

Any headlight upgrade, or even if you just want to get better light from standard, should include realys at the headlights, if not there already, to prevent:

• voltage drop like that described in the posts above
  • having a bucket load of current passing through the light switch
  • melting wiring when you upgrade from the standard 55w to the normally much higher rated lights generally used

On all my older cars that I have had, I always ran relays as close to the headlights as possible. For my old ZG Fairlane, I ran 2x100watt aircraft landing lights for high beam and 2x90/140watt for the combination lights. I had a relay for each light to help carry the load of 480watt or approximately 40amps all up. In running different circuits for each light I could use lighter gauge wire than otherwise would be needed if they were all on the one circuit.