Photo

Does Auszcar Need A Private Forum for Members?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Should donating members have a private forum for classifieds? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Should donating members have a private forum for classifieds?

1. No the site is fine the way it is. (25 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

2. Yes donating members should get some kind of benefit like this. (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

3. No, instead of donations we should have more advertising on the site (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

I think there have been good points raised.
Do we just all move on?
That's the beauty of an open forum. We can all put our 2cents in.

#22 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Crew

I have to respect all of the remarks made in this thread, we are after all all individuals and therefore hold differing opinions.

REV Dave brought forward some good points as is always expected when the man speaks or posts, as did all of the other contributors, a special mention for Yosemite also who touched on a few facts that all dig deep into our memories, and reminds us of those who were once newbies and became an integral part of the place.

Nevertheless, we will again and again face this same problem regarding the first post of new members, and for what its worth Id like to suggest that the intro thread be updated with a very basic template that new members can use to hit some of the key intro points we as forum members would expect answered and ultimately enjoy reading.

It need not be complex, just a few basic questions that way it can be cut and pasted into a new intro and responded to by the new member.

In it I would also include a question at the end which covered what the person may be in need of for his or her project, that way those interested in assisting could respond either in the thread or in a PM.

Our most recent member of today "Potter" put up a great intro and openly stated he needed some assistance, when I read an opener like that, the edge is taken off and I'm more than willing to respond and help if I can.

Cheers

John

#23 24 Dat

24 Dat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi everyone sorry for causing the problems, i didnot mean to cause such a hassle,

I was txted about the dash and when you see my introduction write up, which i will attempt to do somehow after this post, you can see why i was intrested in the dash, i made my offer and i had seen that it was originally was put on the site at 4pmish so i gathered i would not hear anything back until this morning, so as i was in the middle of something else i loged out, of course when i saw the result i have been trying to log in since but  not being  familiar with the full working of the login i was entering my detail wrong, and i thought i had been blocked out or something. My fault and i would have replied earlier

Sorry for not realising you need to introduce yourself first, can i suggest that when a person joins up for the first time that they are automatically directed to a page which requires them to add details before they are able to post? i am sure those people in techno land can do that. lets face it, who really reads the fine print on anything these days.(especially people who are not familiar or who really don't plan to make a forum a big part of there life)

I have joined 2 other forums to let them know of LapZ at the Lake which i know a couple of people have done on this website as they are members of ZCCQ and on the other forums there was no kind of introduction process.

I am not as some people have indicated a floater i have only ever looked at this site a couple of times and not even the classifieds, I am involved in the ZCCQ and like most of our members who are not teck savie  don't have the time or really the intrest in forum  , and as 53-681 said yes it was the catalyst for me to join, and after seeing oldZmans (which was very uncommittial)  i thought i would make an offer, hey i didnot even know what PM meant until later (yeah yeah it took a while but hey what do you expect from an non user :))

i could say that i am going to be a high user and contributer to this forum but why lie I wont be  as i am heavily involved with ZCCQ i just don't have the time and the ZCCQ and my Zeds takes up most of my free Z hours i even to get to drive my cars every now and then.and i am not a good typer and my grammer is shocking  :) and i dont like staing a a computer screen for hours on end.

Our Club has the same problem just like you guys there are always lots of people who do absolutly nothing and only a few who do all the work,
Again sorry to have caused this problem
Cheers
Dave

#24 roastbeef

roastbeef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

Something similar has happened on the UK Z car club forums recently.
A select few got their hackles up about non donating members beating them to various items, a members only 10 day classifieds system was implemented - and I think those select few are still arguing about the implementation a month later.

Meanwhile the remaining users carry on as per normal, just with a more divided community. Sellers complain of the lack of buyers, and buyers complain about the lack of access. More items end up on ebay etc etc.

I've just donated, and probably should have done so earlier as I think gav and the admins do a great job on this site, but I think it would be a great shame to divide up the community.

#25 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thank you Rev.  Again you pick up on exactly how I (and many others) feel about this site.  Car info is good, the banter and friendship that follows is great! 

I have 'trolled' a few other forums on different subjects (as I am a master of none) and on many other forums I have noticed that someone asks a question or logs an opinion and there is rarely more than 2 or 3 replies.  On here that doesn't even happen to South Australians!  (bite me Mick)

Some forums don't allow entry unless you register.  When I come across them I simply hit the back button and find another.  With my natural distrust of people, I'm not prepared to provide my details without making some inquiries/testing the water/trolling for a while to get the feel of the forum and members.  I suspect that many are of a similar view.

I have no problem with trollers.  Some will join and some won't.  Some own Zeds and many don't.  Some feel they have nothing to offer and some don't have anything to offer (note some of the latter join anyway - WOW a shed!)

I joined this forum and my first post wasn't really an intro.  I asked a question about a Zed I found and whether it was a viable resto.  The responce I got was supportive and very much appreciated.  I'm now an active member (possibly too active) with many posts and very litle constructive to say.  But I have now made some friends - and some not so friends (Wow a shed!)

On the subject of missing out on the bargain of a lifetime - that's disappointing.  You could be donating $1M a day to the forum and still miss out by a minute.  Magic happens.

I know nothing about running or managing a forum.  I believe that this one is run very well.

Is it possible to limit the trolling access of an IP to a couple of hours?

Can the sign up page link/direct the new member straight to the Intro section?  Or to a page first that welcomes them and includes a guide to writing an Intro?

Can there be some sort of block on posting before an Intro is posted?

I now look forward to the crows picking apart my comments and the crow eaters trying to read them  ;D

#26 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Simon, amusing as always.

Now I'm over my bout of gastro, I'm not as moody as I was earlier and with time to reflect upon reading some posts.
I don't really care.
This is an open forum, which is the best part. Take the good with the not do good.
It's up to the individuals as to whether they put in and get involved or not.
Would be nice, but doesn't really matter.
This forum has a winning formula and should stay as it is!

#27 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

Simon, amusing as always.

Now I'm over my bout of gastro, I'm not as moody as I was earlier and with time to reflect upon reading some posts.

I thought you were in a rather Crappy mood...

#28 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:54 AM

I thought you were in a rather Crappy mood...

Yer, sorry bout that  :-[

#29 oldzguy

oldzguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Other car forums I use have a minimum post limit before
you can use the classified section, idea maybe ??
This forum is a more supportive community than
any other site I've been involved in, so don't change too much
Cheers  ;)

#30 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

I can only speak from what little previous experience I have on other forums ie on the R31 Skyline Club you require 5 posts before you can access the members only section as well as the parts section. From observation I can say that "sniping" didn't change very much... Instead there has been an influx of useless posting to boost up post counts.

#31 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

Is it possible to limit the trolling access of an IP to a couple of hours?

Can the sign up page link/direct the new member straight to the Intro section?  Or to a page first that welcomes them and includes a guide to writing an Intro?

Can there be some sort of block on posting before an Intro is posted?

I have no idea what your on about with the first point, but I can't really limit IP address access from guests because that would block important "trolls" such as the Google bot crawler that indexes the site and makes it findable in Google search results :).

Your second suggestion is something that's been on my mind for a while. Improving the sign up flow, to be honest the forum software like most package forum software doesn't lend itself too well to customisations. Notice how I always blame the software? :) On a serious note though I should be able to find the language files that are used when people sign up and hopefully change the welcome email to provide a good starting place for new members.

This welcome email could provide 5 or so quick points for joining our site like 1. It's a good idea to write an intro post. 2. Don't talk about sheds. 3... etc... :).

I could limit newbies to the intro section, but I think a welcome email might be the best solution.

Yer, sorry bout that  :-[

LOL when I had food poisoning a month or 2 ago I felt dreadful. Damn shell fish, never again. I couldn't even use a computer.

From observation I can say that "sniping" didn't change very much... Instead there has been an influx of useless posting to boost up post counts.

Agree, and I imagine it wouldn't change much at all really.

On the bright side the catalyst for this discussion turns out the person who bought the item really did need it and has now become more active so there you go.

At the end of the day if you want to sell something privately you can always contact people in the club you know and offer it to them first. Many clubs do this to prevent those pesky 16 year olds buying their pride and joy and driving it into a tree lol...

#32 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

If i am out working on the car and i think "i need some info, i know its on the site" then i'll come in, have a look, a bit of a read and go back out.
Quite often i dont even log on when doing that.
likewise if im researching something instead of doing my real job, i dont log on unless i need to.

Im sure im not the only person who does that, so i ask, consider how many 'guests' are just like that?

Actually I'm a bit more clever with how I measure members vs guests. When visitors on the forum sign into the site a cookie is dropped on their machine with a 2 year expiry date. (After 2 years it gets deleted automatically). This cookie tells my Web Analytics tool that the visitor is a member. So even if you don't log into the site in later visits those visits are still attributed to a member.

Basically you have to have logged in at least once within the last 2 years to be counted as a member. If you delete cookies then obviously you get counted as a guest again.

So using this form of measurement I can see a definite 1/3 split between members and guests. 2/3 of visitors to the site are guests.

I also want to stress I don't use any cookies to "spy" on users, rather I collect this information in aggregate.

#33 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

Just to show you guys what I'm on about.

You can see total-visits.png is showing all visits to the site in the given date range. This is about ~35,000 visits p/month.

Visits from people who have signed in, in the last 2 years is ~11,000 visits p/month.

So actually less than 1/3 is the total number of people who have signed in. Lots of guests, lurkers, trolls whatever you want to call them ;).

You may think, well that's because lots of people outside of Australia visit the site, but in actual fact the majority of those 35,000 visits come from within Australia. So potential members.

I hope this also shows that I collect the data in aggregate / anonymous fashion.

Attached Thumbnails

• 21759_e1f34752d409b59009bbdeaad621fc8f873b5af1.png
  • 21761_9ba492590d36e0f1b9fe7b2f234fa6cba93f9cde.png

#34 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

I have mentioned before and would support a "Minimum Post Count" before access to write in the classifieds. IE: Free to browse and PM, but not to post wanted or for sale posts.

This works well on other forums, I can't see why it wouldn't here :)

#35 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,386 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:37 AM

I have mentioned before and would support a "Minimum Post Count" before access to write in the classifieds. IE: Free to browse and PM, but not to post wanted or for sale posts.

This works well on other forums, I can't see why it wouldn't here :)

I don't actually mind if people register to sell parts or cars, since it's better it goes on here than eBay in my opinion. Everyone wins, but in the past I haven't actually worded the rules that way, so it will need some revision.

We can restrict people posting in the classifieds, but the problem here was not posting but rather someone viewed the classified and got the deal.  I could block the classifieds to guests, but I think having them open is good as not everyone is a member who wants to buy a Z and the classifieds should get as many views as possible.

#36 perrin_07

perrin_07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

i liked the idea of selling things first in a private section(if time isnt of the essence) and then allowing it to go to main forum after a few days. It gives the real commited guys to this site the first dibs they should be entitled to.

Also, do we have a "Verified Trader/seller" option to add to our avatar part? That plays a large part for me when buying things in another site i go on(car audio) :).

steve

#37 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Also, do we have a "Verified Trader/seller" option to add to our avatar part? That plays a large part for me when buying things in another site i go on(car audio) :).

I guess that was what Khama (sorry about the dirty word) was all about  8)

#38 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

I do not think we should try to exclude people. The more the merrier. If people come on to buy or sell that benefits everyone as it means someone may buy your part or offer up some hard-to-find rarity. We should be encouraging people and not trying to scare people off as it may kill the site.

It is frustrating if one time posters snap up things that should probably go to members who contribute advice, financially, helping others out etc but I think the negatives from trying to exclude people would vastly outweigh the positives.

#39 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

I do not think we should try to exclude people. The more the merrier. If people come on to buy or sell that benefits everyone as it means someone may buy your part or offer up some hard-to-find rarity. We should be encouraging people and not trying to scare people off as it may kill the site.

It is frustrating if one time posters snap up things that should probably go to members who contribute advice, financially, helping others out etc but I think the negatives from trying to exclude people would vastly outweigh the positives.

This is probably the shortest, most direct and valid response I read.......
I have limited free time these days due to my work schedule, but I always log on and have a look and a read......
Pocket Trader, Quokka, Auto Trader. Classifieds in any paper...no membership required..you want to sell... you sell, you want to buy... you buy
Ghosts..... one thing I have noticed however is that many members seem to have vanished or are just not active anymore....people come and people go... lets not become elitist

#40 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

We're Zed owners - of course we are Elitist!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users