Mazda MX5 Power Steering Conversion

Sooley

I have converted my car to Powersteer by using the early model MX5 P/Steer Rack and Nissan N13 Pulsar Tie Rod ends. You will need to cut and re thread the rack end and notch out a little bit of the cross member also for it to sit neatly. Overall this is a very easy mod and will I am sure make a big difference.

Another point is that it may help with the bump steer problem also as you will have longer rack arms and should be able to get more travel out of the tie rod ends.

Here is a pic

Sooley

post-127-144023474092_thumb.jpg

Looks good. I to will have to get onto this sooner rather than later. My new 3.9 LSD should arrive today so I will get that one in first. I plan on strengthening the diff mounts at the same time to eliminate any vibration under strong acceleration.

Ok, well I have done a bit of looking around. I have found a place called www.mx5mania.com.au . I emailed them and they can supply a power steering rack from a NA model 1.6L MX5 for $250. N13 Tie rod ends are about $15 each from repco. I would be using a RB25 power steering pump which I could probably get for about $150.

But there is something Im not sure about, how does the steering column go when connecting to the rack?

Great work

The Steering arm is on a universal so it will work just fine.

You will have to notch out the cross member a little but it will fit great. Use Poly bushes and that will firm up the front end too. They also make a Poly steering arm bush that helps too.

Sooley

I may have actually found some MX5 racks for $195 not including shipping (neither were the other ones) each today. I just have to confirm they are from the 1.6L NA model.

Im seriously considering doing this whilst i have the engine out of the bay. Just really need to know how the column attaches to the rack.

Is anyone else interested? Who knows, maybe we can get them cheaper as a group buy.

the fellow here, i believe hes registered on this forum RBZ_260?

believe it was slot and reinforce the engine stand/pedestal, and heat and bash some clearance on pass side, also i think he said a custom drivers side rack mount bush. Also rotating one half of the rack helps with lines location etc.

hope he chimes in here,

nato

• 3 weeks later...

im here.

yeah wha t nato said pretty much. i wasn a fan of cutting chuncks out of the cross member or drilling massive holes.

bit lazy to post a pic but here is a ling from the other forum

http://www.thezgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601

all i did is made few dents using oxy set and big hammer. rotated the power head 180deg and new pipes bent up. sloted the rhs engine bracket and reinforced fromt the inside. just under 3 turns from lock to lock.

though looking at he mx5 looks bit easier. but mazda parts a xpensive. i got my rebuild subi for $180 with the mods to the pipes.