18 replies to this topic

#1 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

My seat belts are nackered, I know that KLIPPAN make a belt that is suitable for the Z however not sure as to the details of model etc. I have a 74 260 and the belts are like in the 240 as in they are not retractable. Anybody instal retractable aftermarket belts in their Z. If so how neat did it come up and where did you mount to?

Sulio

#2 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

I installed Hemco inertia reel belts in my 240. They are based in Ballarat.

http://www.angelfire...mco/index1.html

The front inertia belts are part number S1790006 and you need the 330mm stalks with the right angle floor mount. approx $100 ea

I also used 200mm Drop Links , part number S1800074 approx $14 ea.

You cannot mount the inertia reel on the same mounting point as the old lap sash as there is too much angle on the belt and the locking function does not work so you need a new mounting point behind the seat.

Cheers
Warren

#3 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:29 PM

Excellent Warren. Thanks for your informative response. I think we might have discussed this one on our old forum, (sorry just remembered), but thanks for part numbers and other advice. I'll buy these belts this weekend hopefully. I think I might have to make up a bracket to sit on the rear strut tower to bolt the reel to. Is that what you did?

Sulio

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:36 PM

But since the old database and forum still exists I may be able to bring all the existing posts and information across still. I guess something to look into after exams speaking of which I have my last tomorrow better keep studying. :twisted:

#5 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

You are correct this was a topic on the old site.

Since then Hemco have shut their Brunswick shop and now it looks like mail order from Ballarat.

Since the PO had installed a non original belt on the passenger side and mounted the anchor point on the inside of the wheel arch (in front of strut tower) I used that position to keep both sides the same so I did not end up with a hole exposed on one side.

If I recall Hemco also sold mounting kits for such purposes.

Cheers
Warren

#6 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

in my old 76 260...

i had the reel on the top of the strut tower, a clip on the sidewall and that was factory i think.... im guessing if you find a later 260 2 seater you can just grab the crap off that

#7 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:15 PM

correct. my zed is the same setup, also a 76 2 seater.

#8 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hey Guys,

Getting close to finishing up with all the welding that I need to do to the car and wanted to get the belts organised before I start to paint (in case welding was required).

Would anyone that has converted to inertia belts be able to post a pic or two of the installation. I'm mainly interested in the reel anchoring and the clip on the sidewall. I have a 73 240Z that I want to replace the belts on. I drove it around a bit before starting the rebuild and did not like the fixed length belts at all.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

#9 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

I ended up finding a set on e-bay usa. Still waitng to recieve them.

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

My belts arrived today. They are from the US off a 76 260z coupe. My car is a 74 & I've heard there are differences in the body as far as chassis reinforcement goes. I think part of that difference is on the floor just behind the seats. The later belts do not fit in my car! Damn!!!!!!

If anybody is in need of 75, 76 260z coupe belts I have a set for sale for $100.00. They are the type with double retraction including straight sections that go on the tunnel. VGC incuding all plastic covers & bolts.

0413 188 024

Sulio

#11 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

why does the floor behind the seats make a difference? Bit confused.....

#12 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:10 PM

It's the only reason I see why these belts don't fit. I know that Nate had this type of seat belt in his 76 2 seater and they fit. I'll have to get a closer look at a later car in that section of the floor.

Sulio

#13 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

Sulio,

Are you refering to the pocket that the later models had on the floor for the reel to fit into? I was reading some site that mentioned that the later models had a pocket for the floor reel to fit into. The sites mentioned that you could, if you had access to, do a cut and paste job of the pocket from a late model to an early model. Note that they were talking about US early and late models though.

#14 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:01 PM

Ah so thats what it is. Sounds like your on the money Matt. From the way the real at the back sits I would say it definately needs this pocket, however I am not going to make any changes. Its a bit of a shame because I really liked the way these later model belts work. I'll take a pic and post what we've been talking about.
I should have just gone out and bought the same as Warrens. I'll do that now!
Anyways, I've put these ones up for sale in our classifieds.
Thanks Matt.

Cheers
Sulio

#15 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I'm looking into the solution that Warren put forward as well. I emailed the company last night for info on the products, but I have had not reply yet. I might just give them a call and see what they have to say.

Hey Warren, if you have that stuff installed, could you take some pics of the installation so I can get an idea of how/where to put the new mount.

Cheers,

Matt D

#16 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi

Matt asked for pics regarding how I mounted the inertia reel belts. Since I cannot upload photo's (a question for Gav in other forum) I will post them here.

Part 1

Cheers
Warren

Attached Thumbnails

• 317_.jpg
  • 316_.jpg
  • 315_.jpg

#17 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

Part 2 of pics

Cheers
Warren

Attached Thumbnails

• 318_.jpg

#18 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hey Warren,

Thank you very much for the photos, exactly what I wanted to see. The installation looks neat and I think I like the idea of mounting the real to the wheel arch rather than building a bracket for the top of the strut tower.

Cheers,

Matt

#19 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

Yer nice Warren, hmmm...nice and neat, leaves room for a half cage to mount to the top of the strutt housing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users