7 replies to this topic

#1 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

just got back from 3 weeks away and went to start my 280zx. it started, then after a few seconds lost revs, almost stalled, went back up, then back down and stalled.. then didn't get any better trying to start it a few times after that. if i pumped the accelerator and got it above 1000 revs it would be fine but if it dropped back down it would splutter and clunk and stall.

it has been parked outside for the 3 weeks so its taken some rain etc, ive been having a look in my haynes and a possible cause looks like it may be moisture on the distributor. it was fine before i left and hasn't been driven so im thinking if rain got in there that might have happened.

the other thing that might have screwed up again is my stupid wolf 2D ecu, but the 'bay' lights indicating when each spark is firing seems to be in order (which wasn't the case last time because my ignition coil was screwed.)

i spose it could be any number of things but any other obvious things to check?

#2 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

theres nuthin more depressing than a sick dato ! thats the first thing i would check mate. does your 280 have a crank angle sensor ? if so their prone to moisture big time ! ive owned an r31for 7 years and if i ever have a problem (mainly after a degrease at car lovers) i have to pull it out and carefully wipe it clean and she a goer ! good luck dave, i hope its that simple for you !

#3 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

water in the distributor could be a cause.... the other thing that sort of sounds like is possibly an air flow meter issue (jammed open or unplugged?) but if you have wolf2d I imagine there is no air flow metre anymore?

#4 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

thanks for the prompt reply,
i think ive located where the crank angle sensor is. was kinda feeling round next to the ignition timing thing down where all the belts and that are . Looks like i'll have to pull out the radiator to get at it.

Just a question, the hose/line which comes verticaly up from there near the distributor, where is it supposed to connect to? because i followed the line up from the ignition timing/crank angle sensor bit and it isn't actually connected to anything at all, i couldn't see where it would connect either.
I havent disconnected it, and it doesn't look like it had just fallen off from anywhere.

#5 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

i don't recall my L28 ever having a crank angle sensor, and my 280Z efi supplement doesn't show it at all..... maybe an addition to late models, but i would be surprised?

#6 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

Yeah ive been looking through my haynes and it looks like it may have only been on the turbo models as the directions for replacement and adjustment are for the 1981 turbo model only, hence maybe that means the other models dont have it.

But, i was feeling round and found the box thing which i thought was the crank angle sensor, so maybe it does have one. if i can figure out where that mystery cable connects to and plug it in, maybe it will all work. but that wouldn't make sense because it all worked fine when it wasn't plugged in to anything.

and i dont think i have an airflow meter.

#7 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

maybe take the distributor cap off and see what comes out, thats where the the crank angle sensor or pick up and reluctor would live, if youve got electronic ignition(which sounds like whats in your car) make sure its all dry in there . if it is, maybe check coolant sensor connection, computer, air flow meter flap opens and closes like it should and its connections and any others you may come across. your car didnt die while you were driving, youve only had it sitting so dont pull it to bits just yet, theres a fair chance its a simple connection problem from all the humidity i recon. let us know how you go ! oh i dont think your after market computer uses the airflow meter, it probably has a mass air pressure sensor which has a vacuum hose to the manifold, which shouldnt be your problem, chris.

#8 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

i just went out before to try and move the car from the driveway, into the garage and out of the rain. after a few shots i managed to reverse it backwards continuosly stalling and then roll into the garage. then put one foot on the clutch and one on the break and it kep idling.

so it seems to have worked whatever crap was stopping it out of its system and is idling pretty much fine now. sits at 500 revs (a little low?) and occasionaly jumps up to 650, so its not quite even but i dont think it ever was.

thanks for the help lads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users