Honda Civic wiper motor replacement.

zeds4ever

???  Finally got around to replacing tired old 260 wiper motor with civic version circa 93. Remembered reading post on pepe's having probs with wiper blades returning to incorrect postn when turned off.

Dismembered civic motor ,pressed the cam rotor out & replaced same to a position that matches 260 final resting pstn. Has anyone tried this before & to their knowledge did it work ok. I'm going to keep trying this method till it comes out right.

can someone help with wiring set up please.

Regards: Alan.

• Moderators

This is the diagram I used to wire up my conversion; it's pretty easy to follow. It almost parks the wipers in their location but not quite 100%. As you said, you may have to play with that cam switch. Its important to also have the original plug that goes into the Honda wiper motor for this...so when you remove the motor from the car, chop a fair bit of the loom with the plug! And also find a relay with the "87a" terminal.

Forgot from which site I copied it from...apologies to the original author!

70' Datsun 240Z __________________ 91' Honda civic wiper motor

blue/white-------pin 85 ________ Pin 87A-------blue/white

blue-------------pin 87 ________ pin 30--------blue

Blue/red-----------pin 85-------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

"There were some diagrams that he posted on post #22 for Hella relays, and some other types,

and these showed the connections. From the harness in the car, it goes into the relay, and

then from there into the new harness for the Honda motor. There are a couple terminals as

showen above that don't go to the relay and go straight through also.

When I did it, it helped to draw up exactly what I needed to do on a piece of paper

showing the wires going from one point to another. My setup is slightly different

because I'm incorporating a delay wiring circuit that I still need to build, but

overall this conversion is pretty easy and works well."

post-801-144023611236_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023611249_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023611255_thumb.jpg

Ahh sweet, this conversion is news to me.

My wiper motor is very slow and doesn't park so I was thinking of getting it re-wired but if a simple replacement is cheaper than that is fantastic. I'll have to learn more about how they park when I proceed with the changeover.

Nice work.

;)  Thanks a lot Dimitri for your help,will save me a few dramas. Looks a lot neater than the AtlanticZ version I checked out. Will keep you posted on end result

Regards : Alan.

• 6 months later...

Thought I would jump in on this one as I have literally just finished doing this same conversion last weekend. I took it one step further and replaced all of the wiper connecting arms under the valance with the Honda units using the knuckle and ball joints replacing the small brass swivels (now worn and loose)and also revised the wiper pivots that come through the valence by drilling out the old worn bushes and replaced them with the Honda nylon units and also used the Honda spigots.

The whole thing cost me $50 for the wiper motor, relay and wiper mechanisms/arms and spigots from the local pick a part.

I have an optimal speed, two setting wiper mechanism, with auto park and no wear or looseness in the spigots.

I was intending to do up a doc on the mods and fiddling around I did, over and above the docs I sued from online.

One particular one was very helpful with wiring diagram, fitting of the relay, connections etc to give me proper parking process.

I plugged straight into the standard wiring loom so it could be reversed if need be.

The extra I did would not be for everyone if you are trying to retain complete originality but for me (more club sport etc) the lack of rattle/looseness in the mechanisms, use of more robust nylon bearing surfaces and the like were all plus's for me.

Soon as I get a few hours to do up the build details, I will throw it up.

Cheers

ian

::)

Gave up trying to get the damn Honda to centralise at finish. Found out about a Autolcrcn who rewinds original 260 to 80 Amps which is a hell of a lot more powerful than the older set up. A bit pricey at $200 but I now have a re-wired motor that will work fine. Just waiting to get it back home. I 'm inclined to agree that the honda will work at a quicker rate because the rotating arm on motor is lesser than zeds &  therefore it must spin faster.

I just did this upgrade on my 260z. I used the following and it works perfectly.

260z                                                          Honda

Blue---------------Pin 87

Blue White-------Pin 86

Blue Red----------Pin 85-------------------Pin 85-----------Green Black

Yellow-------------Pin 87A-----------------Pin 87A----------Blue White

Pin 30-----------Blue

Black------------------------------------------------------------Black

Blue Yellow----------------------------------------------------Blue Yellow

Hopefully it all makes sense. I tried a few different ways and this was the only way I got all settings to work.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the write up on this, great help!

I've just gone through the installation and I'm having a little trouble. I have a brand new civic wiper motor and I've wired it as per the instructions; when I activate the wipers (with the wiper motor held in my hand) the relay clicks and I can feel it trying to turn over...... the motor will momentarily turn over then my fuse blows. I put a 25 amp fuse in place as I had no more 20 amp fuses and the same thing happens. Any ideas???

I have to pack it up now but I'm planning on working out which wires do what and then I'm going to replace the active 12 volt supply from the loom directly to the battery in case it's my wiring that's causing a voltage drop.

I went to pick a part to get a civic wiper motor but I couldn't get it to turn over so I found one on ebay that was brand new and only $40. I'm hoping I haven't purchased a dud but I don't think that's the case is it does turn over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Marc.

Does it rely on an earth through the body in addition to the earth wire from the loom?  Is that earth wire simply part of the switch and therefore not up to carrying the full load?

Just guessing as I've never looked at one myself.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The motor wasn't installed, had it held in my hand with nothing attached to it. I also tried holding the wiper motor on a grounding point but it made no difference. It feels like it's not getting enough voltage; I can feel a slight vibration through the wiper motor likes it's trying to turn over and occasionally it will turn and then nothing...... fuse blows.

I'll have another look tonight after work, going to look at running a separate 12V supply and ground feed directly from the battery to the relay and hopefully that works.

Thanks for the help.

Marc.

??? 

Have you tried adding a relay system. The fuse should not blow as a result of low volts, sounds like to me that there is a short or something of that nature.                           

Thanks Alan, I installed a relay as per the instructions listed in this post; not sure if there is a short as my current wiper motor works. Apologies, I said the wrong thing about the voltage drop and current increase - defies ohm's law!

I managed to get a few minutes to tinker with it the other night, got something very strange going on. I managed to get it to work by running 12V directly from the battery to terminal 30 on the relay (in parallel with the blue wire to the wiper motor) and the thing worked a treat. Here's where it gets weird; when I switch the key to the off position, it triggers my ECU which primes the fuel pump and also switches on my wide-band gauge..... I think I may have to check where my ECU main power supply is coming from - been a while since I wired it but I think that's needs a revisit!  ::)

From memory (and google searches to confirm), the relay terminals are:

30 - from battery+ direct

85 - relay coil -

86 - relay coil +

87 - common contact

87a - normally closed contact

This was my reasoning behind putting 12V from the battery to terminal 30. Without this 12V connected, the wiper motor struggles to turn over and ends up blowing the fuse. I found a box under the dash that seems to control the intermittent timer that also has a relay in it (factory item); seems to chatter a little but if I get rid of this, I lose the intermittent function.

I might have  a bit of wire tracing to do here; I'm glad I got the motor to turn over at least - thought I bought a dud but that's not the case so I'm relieved in a sense.

Will update once I sort it out. I might try it without the additional relay and see what happens, haven't tried that yet.

Thanks again.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators

Timely that you bump this up.

Just re registered the bus and the wipers well, they leave a lot to be desired.

Yes mine in the 72 were pretty weak, not that it's driven often in the rain, but I heard from another member (Tony) a way to upgrade to an 80amp alternator whilst keeping the stock look and that along with an improved motor may help make these things user-friendly.

The only thing I can't work out is how to get the intermittent function to work and I'd like to make this a plug and play set up so you could revert back to a stock motor if desired. Not sure if much can be done to improve the original motors? I kind of view this upgrade like going to electronic ignition. Pragmatic, even if I like things original.

Yes mine in the 72 were pretty weak, not that it's driven often in the rain, but I heard from another member (Tony) a way to upgrade to an 80amp alternator whilst keeping the stock look and that along with an improved motor may help make these things user-friendly.

The only thing I can't work out is how to get the intermittent function to work and I'd like to make this a plug and play set up so you could revert back to a stock motor if desired. Not sure if much can be done to improve the original motors? I kind of view this upgrade like going to electronic ignition. Pragmatic, even if I like things original.

Gav Craigz was working on a plug and play kit so that things would be kept original. SE thread here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15300-datsun-240z-260z-honda-wiper-motor-upgrade-65/