11 replies to this topic

#1 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

G'Day Everyone,

Ive recent needed to replace my front spoiler on my 280ZX. After a weekends worth of repairing the spoiler, i tried to get the spoiler mounted onto the car. However, ive now ran into a problem. It doesnt fit! The sides seem to "bow" out where the wheel arches are.

Ive attached a few images to help explain the situation. The Left hand side is out a little more than the right.

Anyways, anyone got any ideas? Would heating it work? (i believe that the resin sets when it heats up from the catalyst???). Ive also though of cutting the sides off and reattaching them but i dont think i'll look so smooth. Ive tried putting a little tension on it but it that little bit too far away. There is a lip along the bottom of the spoiler which gives it alot of it rigidity, i've considered cutting out a little bit of the lip so i can bend it a little more. Im just affraid of the sudden snap!

Further, ive got my final exams this tuesday and will have roughly 4.5 weeks to play around with it. It'll be a shame if i have to turf it for another one. I think it looks pretty mean :twisted:

Anyone know of anywhere i could get a replacement spoiler? Preferably in Victoria, Australia. I've looked at AllZParts but i don't think it looks that good.

Cheers,
Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 103_.jpg
  • 102_.jpg

#2 NR240

NR240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

I can't say for sure without seeing it in person, but i say just bend it as hard as you can and bolt it up, if it snaps so be it; buy another one!

Mine is under a bit of tension, and i had to bend it to get it to fit as well, but yours does look to be way off from the pictures

#3 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

yeh, ive thought about it. But finding a replacement one could be a challenge, and most likely expensive if its shipped from the states. Even if i bend it so it bolts up, im pretty sure they'll be a gap between the spoiler and the sugar scoops.

Does anyone know how it snaps? is it a clean cut, or could it shear? i might experiment on a bit of paper before hand. Meanwhile, my indicators dont fit either (too long and narrow) :x However seems an easy fix.

Im pretty sure i saw the spoiler originally about christmas time and it was on a wreck. However when i picked it up a couple weeks ago and it was off the car. i believe it's been like that for a while. Anyone know the reason/fix?

Thanks again,
Adam

#4 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:15 AM

I don't do much panel beating, etc (I leave that to my dad), but have you backed off all of the other bolts. You may need to just adjust the other bolts and it will make a better fit. Or maybe, take off all the bolts and start with the ones connecting the spoiler to the panels and then work your way in to the middle. Appologies if this idea is a bit noobish ;)

#5 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

You'll probibly be very suprise but there isnt many bolts. 4 bolts holding it to the mounts in the front of the radiator and 2 on each wheel arch. Wouldnt be a bad idea if it was like the stock one though. I wonder how long the spoiler is going to last? I've seen spoilers disintergrate when some owners are trying to park with their plastic fantastic. Whoops :lol:

Anyways, thanks again.
Adam

#6 S130ZED

S130ZED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Iam in a similar situation to you are in. I bought a kit from MSA and went to trial fit it and found that nothing was as it should be. What condition is your reinforcement bar in? My reinforcement bar needs repair and Iam going to modify it to make fitment easier, but that wont until after my car is resprayed in a few weeks.

Hayden

#7 S130ZED

S130ZED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Iam in a similar situation to you are in. I bought a kit from MSA and went to trial fit it and found that nothing was as it should be. What condition is your reinforcement bar in? My reinforcement bar needs repair and Iam going to modify it to make fitment easier, but that wont until after my car is resprayed in a few weeks.

Hayden

#8 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,622 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

OK this is a wild stab in the dark since I don't know a whole lot about the S130's (I know shame on me). Could it be that the U.S safety laws meant that the bumpers on HLS130 cars were different since they had that silly 5 mph test they had to comply with?

Even more of a stab in the dark was the 280zx coupe(2 seater) any different in terms of dimensions?

#9 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:22 AM

well i've actually come back from bendigo today and picked up another front spoiler. Exactly the same shape. however its off a series 1 280ZX so the mounts that hold the sides in are different. The series 2 had an extra bit of plastic that goes right around to the wheel arch whereas the series 1 stopped and inch or 2 before the wheel arch (i think it looks a bit funny). So i might need to drill hole to get it to fit properly. this new spoiler i picked up today has different mounts that hold the front of the spoiler up. At the moment its sagging a little but i dont think its going to be hard to fix. I know it fits well since hes only just removed it form the car.

What do you mean by reinforcment bar? Are you talking about a bit of metal that strengthens the spoiler or the mounts at the front to hold the front spoiler into place. The spoiler i got that doesnt fit used the stock mounts however the holes were cut into a slot which allowed the bar to move into the car (otherwise there is a 1 inch gap). I also had to bend these mounts to get it sitting centre, i just used a hammer and got it reasonably close.

im confident that the 2 seater has the same dimensions at the front. They did have that silly 5mph test. ive seen a picture somewhere that shows how its ment to work (bends down). The front bumper had a lot of metal in it and is very heavy compared to the fibreglass one.

how much was the MSA kit? how much was the postage? i cant imagine it to be cheap.

Im also looking for aftermarket indicators and parkers... anyone seen anything fancy?

Cheers,
Adam

I'll try post a pic of the new spoiler when i work out how to fit it correctly.

#10 S130ZED

S130ZED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

The reinforcement bar is the piece of steel channel used to mount the stock bumper bar to. It then has 2 plates that run back on bolt up to the chassis. Mine was rooted due to being in an accident and has some rust in it, that is why my front spoiler hasnt lined up as yet. Iam going to get a new one made up and have some slotted holes put into the plates to make easily adjustment and easy fitment of the new front spoiler.

I got the MSA kit on sale for $500 US (font bar, rear bar and side skirts). Shipping was $300 but that included some other parts that I had ordered. Wasnt too worried about the price as it was something that I really wanted for the 280ZX, and if you want something for you ZED, you got to get it.

As for the indicators, Iam looking for clear side indicators for mine. Cant find anything anywhere as yet. Iam thinking I may have to modify the cut outs my front guards and put something more modern in.

Attached Thumbnails

• 115_.jpg

#11 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

yep, those reinforcement bars on mine are buggered as well (from an accident at 120kph :wink: ) i got a pair when i got the spoiler with slots. I dont know if im going to use them or not (might fibreglass the spoiler onto the mounts) but if i dont need them i'll let you know and your more then welcome to give it a try. I dont know how bent your chassis is but mines on a little angle where the mounts bolt onto. My original mounts were bent back into shape as well but you will need to cut out a slot.

As for clear indicators, i did see a link some time back in one of the other forums of a guy that needed a certain number of people to order some so he would start producing them. I dont know if that had the go ahead or not but if i find it i'll let you know.

I just came back inside and aligned the front spoiler so that its centre however, its sagging down a little. I've taken a photo and i'll post it when i get around to shrinking the size a little. Also dads done a dodgy on me, he said he would pay my rego if i cut my working hours during exams. Now hes decided to not pay it since i bought some bilstein shocks for the rear. Dont know if hes going to "lend" it or not. Might delay the front spoiler a fair bit.

Adam

#12 rossco

rossco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

i found that website that produces the clear indicators.

http://www.klearz.com/zcar.html

however, i think they make the indicators without the parkers but i dont think it really matters anyway as long as it fits. I though about getting it myself but looks a bit expensive. Group purchases are cheaper but i got other things to worry about at the moment.

Cheers,
Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 117_.jpg
  • 116_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users