luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

you are a thinker that is why i like you

Really?
I like him cos he's a sadistic, smarty pants, cynical, deeply deeply troubled man  :P

#43 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

hahah sounds like you are talking about lurch.... that's why i like him

#44 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Really?
I like him cos he's a sadistic, smarty pants, cynical, deeply deeply troubled man  :P

Simon yes, yes, yes and no longer after this morning  ;)

hahah sounds like you are talking about lurch.... that's why i like him

Thanks Pete, but I dont compare to the great one !

#45 Gordon Dobie

Gordon Dobie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

There seems to be some confusion as to what was allowed under the group D improved production rule in place during the 1960s and 70s. The eligible cars were listed in the CAMS manual and the allowable modifications were limited. The bore could be increased by 1.5 mm providing the capacity increase did not take the car out of it's original class ie under 2000cc, under 3000cc. Increase in stroke was not allowed. A number of cars ran in NSW with oversize engines which were bored and stroked. This practice was tolerated in NSW but the cars were only legal under the rules layed down by CAMS if they ran in group A (unlimited sports car) category. The claims of 240 plus bhp out of a U20 engine refer to an engine which was bored and stroked to 2.4 litres and in any case the claim is grossly exaggerated. When I took the factory 2000 to Warwick Farm in the late 60s it was significantly faster than the illegal NSW cars in spite of having 163bhp. This figure was measured on the engine dyno used by the majority of Melbourne based engine builders. But if a bit of bullshit is repeated often enough it becomes folk law and people actually start to believe it and I am afraid that is what has happened in a lot of cases in historic racing categories.

Edited by Gordon Dobie, 02 June 2017 - 03:50 PM.

• gav240z and 260DET like this

#46 Gordon Dobie

Gordon Dobie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

the current rules for Australian production Sports cars - Historics ie Group S are quite restrictive, ( very !)  when it comes to the so called mods allowed for our Zeds, however, if you have a Porsche, a MGB, a Alfa, a Austin healey, a MG Midget,  a Morgan, a DeTomaso or a Shelby Mustang, you are allowed certain freedoms in rim widths, tyre sizes, carurettors, ignition radiators, brakes etc, because, "apparently" it was able to be proven that these cars were "sold" by the dealerships somwhere in Upper Kumbucta West in Timbuctoo, with siad goodies fitted.When it comes to the current Group S  Zed fraternity, and there have been a few, and yes we have tried, it is "No dice, you have to run as stock as the factory made them" even though the dealers sold a new car, and the buyer could then trot next door into the dealers spare parts section, and walk out with everything in the Competition parts catalogue, It sucks bigtime.I am giving up racing my Group Sc 280Z, and turning it into a Standard Late Classsic tarmac rally car, at least there their is sensibility in brake freedoms, the rest of the car is to remain stock.The other side of the coin, is this, My other car is the very well known famour Mingay/Carter Datsun Sports 2000, it was then and is still now the fastes and highest horsepowered ( 245hp at 7500 and 186 ft/lb) Datsun U20 engined produstion Based Sports Car in Australai and the world, it has continous race history since May 14th 1968, and is today as it was back in the late 1960's. It was built with as much parts from the Comp Catalogues as the DRT cars were.CAMS have said, that as the car is genuine, with history, it as a production based sports car, is to race in with the non historic production sports cars  - Group S -, - the kicker is prod BASED, mine has wider rims and four piston front brakes, that is all, compared to the Datsun Race Team 2000 sports and curren spec Group S elegible  Datsun Sports 2000's, of which there are three that run from time to time.At VHRR Phillip Island Classic meeting 2010, they put me in with some 48 pre 1970 Prod Sports cars, Shelby Mustangs, Corvette Stingrays, Morgan V8's Healey 3000's,  MGB with non stock carbs and alloy panels etc, and Alfa's etc, What does muggins here do, He wins all four races, and promptly the oh so very pucka "Group British" are screaming blue bloody murder, at the fact that a genuine Historic sports car, has won all their  "Historic"races and taken their bits of tin and plastic and upset their cherished pointscores.Go figure, none of the Group S so called cars are genuine historic with a true history, but oh no, thet protest, and the race for the 'Brroklands Victorian Tourist Trophy, event 42 on the card, won by me, is not awarded the perpetual prize, the trophy and the BLOODY WONDERFULL ROLLAWAY TOOL BOX AND CABINET WITH JACK BRABHAMS PICTURE ALL OVER IT !I am a glutton for puishment, so i entered again for 2011, and what do the pucka VHRR do, they now stick me in with the later more modern post 1970 prod sports class,  ohwell now I have to contend with the 2.7/3.0 Porkers Detomasos, BMW3.0 CSL's, Alfa GTV's and yes the might Zed cars, all in a fairly stockish U20 engined little Datsun Sports 2000

#47 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

But if a bit of bullshit is repeated often enough it becomes folk law and people actually start to believe it and I am afraid that is what has happened in a lot of cases in historic racing categories.

Ain't that the truth.. as Joseph Goebbels once said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

By the way looks like your book arrived at work today, I was working from home so haven't got it in hand yet, but look forward to the read.

• 260DET likes this

#48 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ain't that the truth.. as Joseph Goebbels once said "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Not so much lies, but plain old mistakes and half-truths get repeated until they are gospel. Like...

...so two weeks ago I am in Japan visting Nismo and get an invite to the Zama storage wharehouse, and what do I see, and get info on but these tow, along with a genuine Z432.
First is a SCCN white Z fitted with a LY28
LY??? It is a L bottom end with a crossflow Y head fited, see pics.
The other thing is what grabbed my goolies, and on asking the head of nismo, he confirmed that Nissan supplied/sold to the Japanese Highway Patrol/Police Department some 30 of these police cars, fitted with ZG nose, flares wider rims and tyres, four piston brakes and the 432 engine 9 de-tuned)
These were sold to the Jap Popo to catch all the naughty boys on the Wangan's ( expressways) late at night.

No such thing as a Japanese police car with ZG style body and 432 (S20) engine, let alone "de-tuned".

Nissan supplied just THREE (3!) PS30 Fairlady Z432s to the Kanagawa Highway Patrol. Their engines were completely stock. They were fitted with the 432's stock S12 two piston, unventilated, front disc brakes.

Nissan also supplied a few Fairlady 240ZGs to the Japanese police, but they too were mechanically stock - even down to the stock wheels and hubcaps. The police workshops modified them with police-related equipment (lights, radio, PA system, safety equipment etc) but they were mechanically stock. Nissan have the last survivor of these cars preserved in their Heritage Collection at Zama.

The various Japanese regional police forces also used L20A-engined Fairlady Z-Ls and Fairlady Z-L 2/2 as highway patrol vehicles on the Expressway network.

So there was no combination of a ZG-bodied and S20 or LY-engined Japanese police car, but there were ZG-bodied police cars and S20-engined police cars. It doesn't take much to get it all mixed up... 

#49 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:13 AM

More than one Heenan & Froude engine dyno getting around?
Few in NSW, and still being used, up until a few years back.
I recall Lou being quite chuffed at 232 HP from a U20, fitted to a Prod Sports 2000 some 8 years back
My car ran rings around it when we got to play together, not long after. But, yes, its all bullshit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users