240Z acceleration Time???

acf321

How long is a piece of string?

It is a bit like that, but given I have not driven a 240Z for at least 10 years, but am very close to getting the 'Brown Hornet' on the road, I wanted to ask all you experts (because you actually have the ability to drive the things), and boffins (because you can probably work it out), what type of 0-100kph you think my car will get, and its top speed, based on a series of inputs.

Ok... So as you know, I have build a very standard 1971 240Z, with the exception of the now rather worked engine. So what do you think is a reasonable estimate of what it should / could do?

assuming;

- NA 250hp L24, with very light flywheel and internals, on 10.9:1CR

- standard L26 tranmission, so assume factory delivered gear ratios.

- standard 3.9:1 diff without LSD, but assume NO wheel spinning. That is, get it off the line to minimise 0-100 acceleration time,

- OEM diameter 205/60/R15 tarmac rally style (read very sticky) purpose made rubber

Reason for asking is I just saw Clarkson talk about the Mazda6 MPS, with 256HP, and 0-100 in about 6 secs. The difference between this car and my 71 zed, is about 500KG weight, and 4WD.

What do you think my Zed will do? The engine IS hot, and the car has been kept 'lightish' as say 1075kg or so.

Would love to know. mmm now will it be UNDER 7 secs, or UNDER 6 ?????

Cheers

Adam

- NA 250hp L24, with very light flywheel and internals, on 10.9:1CR

That is some engine. Is that engine power measured at the flywheel or power at the wheels?

I'd say in the region of 5's for sure. But then your gearbox might not like you for long with that sort of power!

• Moderators

With my first 260 2 seater, with the throttle bodied L28 and 74' cam and a passenger (timing), 3.9 LSD and semi's on Burwood Hwy on a nice and clear afternoon, we had an approx time of 5.5 seconds as my speedo read just over the 100 Kph from a set of traffic lights. No wheelspin but just a tad of riding the clutch to avoid any. Then as I backed off the throttle, a Z32 twin turbo came from my left...I didn't even know I was running with him! Ha!

• 4 years later...

Hi Adam,

Digging up an old thread as I am curious to know what the final figures were. I realise that you recently sold the car.

Are you able to confirm what 0-100 time you were able to achieve and with what HP/torque & performance mods?

Cheers