Is having too big a brake master cylinder a problem?

neRok

thats why i got the 1" now, in preperation for a brake upgrade later. no point spending money twice i thought.

how much did the brakes cost you to ship? i was going to get the 4 piston front and rear kit with 5 lug, seems very good for the money.

had a quick play with the brakes on the weekend but caused more problems that i fixed. pulled the front wheels off, no leaks and almost no pads, so ive got new pads to put in. then pulled the rear wheels off, drivers side looked fine and heaps left on the shoes. passenger side had similar amount on the shoes, but everything was wet/greasy. i thought this might be my problem, leaking wheel cylinder. so i gave it a pump, went to the back, no leaks. gave it another pump, no leaks. got someone else to pump and hold whilst i watched, no leaks. one more to make sure, POP, out comes the piston :(

so, not worth the money buying new cylinders, they are a rip! ive read you can get them rebuilt pretty cheap, so i guess that means i can just push the cylinder back in if the seal looks alright (thats what they would do with a rebuild yeah). what you reckon?

now the greasy mess in the drum, its oil/fluid mixed with the brake dust obviously. havent studied the manual for the rear IRS, but could this be leaking grease from stub axle or something. is it easy to correct?

Well.....as this delves in to an issue I am looking at now....

the 15/16 MC, where is the best place to get it? I am looking for a new one.....

I have looked at the Protex catalogue for P/N 1361 and can't seem to see anything (just wanted to confirm dimensions & model etc.)

79-81 280ZX, correct?

@ benny, i want to, but the plan was get this car driving as is whilst i finish off my other 2 cars, then go to town on the zed.

so im thinking ill try re-assemble myself, and if all else fails i found a local(ish) joint that will rebuild them and that will cost ~$50 at the most, including a re-sleave.

@ Huw, check the supercheap price thread stickied in the parts section.

• 3 weeks later...

update time  8)

pulled the wheel cylinder apart and cleaned everything. it all looked good condition, except the dust seal was a bit ratty, but meh. put it all back together, bled it, seems to be holding up good. so i was done with the rear, went to stand up and touched something in my hand, it was a spring that goes on the end of the piston to stop it bottoming out i guess. doh. ive left it for now, if it fails ill fix it then.

moved on to the fronts to replace my pads. think i worked out why i didnt have good breaking before. there was so little pad left that the retainer clips were actually hitting each other! crazy, see the pic. new pads in, bled it up good, now it actually stops properly.

so the big master cylinder does work. the pedal is pretty hard, but i have felt clutch pedals harder, so its all good imo. saying that though, you do have to push pretty hard, so here is hoping i dont put my foot through the firewall haha. also, its not the greatest for slowly braking, but it stops quick when you need to.

so now this problem is over, i can work out why my car is slow  :-[

post-2311-144023617188_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

my 1" had the same size reserviours, which were about the same size as the smaller stock one. when i put mine on, i also swapped the bigger reserviour on for the front brakes, they need more fluid according to the service manual, hence the bigger reserviour.