Jump to content


Photo

Skipz Snail Project


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 skipz

skipz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

A small update with one pic only sorry.  As previously mentioned, I've continued on with the evaporator mount as planned.  

Ok, some background first:

Exactly as per a few years ago (yes years... sigh), I'll be putting in a Vintage Air Gen 2 mini unit in, so that I can sit in comfy aircon. The blower motor on the unit - if you install it as intended - would be on the right hand drivers side (makes sense given its a US thang).  This would be fine and if centered that motor would sit near to the steering column.  But I'm also planning on an electric power steering unit - the motor of which would hang to the left of the steering column axis.  Which mean I either shift the evaporator unit over and make it off centre (which would effectively null the floor vent unless you ducted it across the trans tunnel), OR you flip the unit around.  I've chosen to flip the unit so the blower motor is on the left.  To me this also makes plumbing the a/c lines easier and packages nicer, but comes with its own problems.

 

The problem with this is that now the outlets sit close to the firewall up under the horizontal panel that houses the wiper motor.  Not that easy to get the dash and defrost hoses attached.  So I need a ducting / mounting system.  And that's what I've done...

 

The old one would work, but I didn't really plan its fit very well and it wasn't easy to install.  It was also a bit of overkill in steel weight.  So I decided to make a new one and fix some of the positional, attachment and weight issues.

 

The new one does just that and is far more compact - saving me about an inch of clearance with the trans tunnel (good for plumbing the drainage line) and probably a couple kilos.

 

Sorry I've no pics of the ducting / mounting unit right now - left them on the other camera that I don't have with me.

 

So finished that on the weekend, fit everything up, wired up the blower unit, powered it on and it works like a charm. The ducting / mounting unit does what its supposed to.  (The amount of air the unit puts out - even on low - should well cool the cabin space, I reckon).

 

I then fitted the dash.  Fits all nice and snug - you might be able to make out the gen 2 unit / mounting in this pic (behind the dash... trust me, its there and it fits).  On a side note the heater control valve fits nicely behind the unit on the firewall.

 

20161127_152648.jpg

 

And ...I can connect only the right hand side ducting to the dash and defrost ducts.  DOH! : The left hand side dash outlet has a position conflict with the support bars on the back of the dash.  And the left hand defrost duct too close to the blower motor to allow the hose to connect.  In short, can't connect the left side.  So this weekend is a bit of duct re-work, then she'll be sweet.  As usual... small steps forward, some back... but we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards finishing this project.  :)

 

(Again, I plan to put up lots of pics and explain how it all connects / sits behind the dash when all is said and done.)


  • gav240z, RB26DETT and mspecr like this

#62 skipz

skipz

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Location:Sydney

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

I think I've got the connections to the Vintage Air Gen II mini sorted now - just need to put it all together to make sure it fits properly.

 

From last post, I've modified (a little chopping up and re-welding) the left side attachment point on the ducting mount unit to clear the dash backside support bars. The ducting mount unit now looks like this, when mounted up:

20161220_210521.jpg  20161220_210800.jpg

 

The heater hoses to connect from the heater unit to the firewall needed to be a U-shape.  I found a commodore hose did the job nicely.  I still need to get the a/c hoses crimped but I'm pretty sure that will be straight forward.  This is what it looks like all mounted. Its a bit hard to see how those hoses all mate up, since the hoses wrap around the backside of the evaporator to the firewall - all nicely tucked away.

20161220_210705.jpg

 

As previously mentioned, the left hand side defrost duct was too tight with the evaporator fan, so it needed modification.  I cut off the tube attachment and re-attached it 90 degrees - with a little fibreglassing.  Looks like it will fit, althought its all a tight squeeze getting the hoses in there.

20161218_150938.jpg  20161219_080103.jpg  20161220_210828.jpg  20161220_210853.jpg

 

And finally, a little sheet work gets some end hoses attachments to connect the 2.5" hoses from the centre ducting/mount unit to the dash side vents (since the original hoses no longer attach correctly).

20161220_210926.jpg

 

So that should be all the hoses / ducting needed in order to lock in this vintage air unit.  This weekend will be a trial fit with the dash, and test run. Will post some pics of when thats all connected up. Then I'll finalise the wiring for it.  And on we go...

 

A fair effort just to get this Vintage Air unit in there, but I don't think there is much more room behind the dash with the main fuse links, ECU, heater valve, wiring looms, heater and a/c hoses all tucked up in there.  So in that regard, I'm happy with the end fitting.

 


  • mspecr and AndBir like this




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users