Arizona Z Car Coilovers

aidannn

I believe that you need to use them with the weld-in camber plates.  Not everyone wants to do that.....

Ben's HSD TT coilovers can be used with the original strut mounts.  There is a delay right now of a couple of months on the TT's apparently  :(.

• 8 months later...

I would also be interested to know more about any member that has these. I'm guessing will be a similar price to Ben's to the door.

Ben's look like it would be 10 times easier to install which is a positive for me cause I'm a noob. But for me, I'm going for a slammed look and the ability to adjust camber is a huge plus.

Any other members have them and can make any comments about them? Had any difficulties with the install?

I fitted set of arizona z cars coil over sleeve kits on all 4 struts of my car nice product well made I did fit arizona z car camber plates as well at same time Problems i encountered where no instructions or support from arizona z car

2 other problems i encountered where that there was no way of securing alloy sleeve to strut i ended up having cap machined up and welding it to strut to mount base of sleeve and then welding ring to top of strut securing nut to to secure strut and sleeve top

Other issue was that dave has designed his coil tops and camber plates to suit konis and i was running bilsteins so had to machine spacer between camber plate and coil mount top and sleeve to go over bilstein strut put that is problem u could strike with bens kit too

Have since fitted bens to a customers car his sleeves are steel so therefore could weld them to strut so no need to make up mounts much easier to fit

Arizona z cars rely's on single nut with a teflon screw to secure it in place Bens has 2 nuts to lock in place bens comes with spanners to lock nuts in place arizonas doesent come with a spanner

My advice go with bens

I have the newer Arizona Z Car conversion on my zed. I did not use the weld in camber plates and opted for K-Mac bolt in items on the front (not cheap mind you) I have custom hat setup on the rear.

I had the shock dyno'd so I knew what I was dealing with and they come up well and match other setups we have tested. You do have to cut and weld your tubes for this new setup but it does allow you to adjust the height of the car without change the spring platform.

I can't tell you how they work as the car is still not together (slacker but what is 1 more year when it has taken 14 so far). Locally here in NZ I had to get all this work checked by a certifying engineer who has given the ok so far - so I need to pull finger and finish the assemble

But if the dyno graphs are anything to go by and the others I know of with a very sim output work well so I should be happy with the setup ;)

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if this is newer zed240, but there is a package with shocks included: http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

That's what I would be looking at getting. The installation instructions seem to be pretty good. I'm assuming this is what you got NZeder. It's pretty friggen daunting for me though cause I have never welded, cut metal... I'm a total noob, but I do have a couple of mates that can help. Any rough idea how long it would take a mechanic at a shop to install them?

yes they are the ones I have. Drill holes in the weld on selves provided and plug weld through to the cut down tubes that is what the engineer had me do. He was more than happy. I think on the fronts we did this in 3 spots (access issue do to the spindle/axle). I also welded all the way around at the bottom, engineer told me they don't permit welding to cast parts. I had already paid a welding shop to do this (they weld blocks and other cast iron) they used the stronger weld rod possible. So he was more than happy for that so long as I did the plug weld through also - but told me that was enough on their own without the cast welding. So if I was do it again. I would just go for the plug welding in as many spots as I could ie 3 or 4 places around the tube.

Thanks NZeder. I will keep that in mind. I'm not sure if we have to get it engineered here in Aus, not many people have spoken of that so I'm assuming no. I'm checking with an engineer just in case. Sounds like a good idea anyway for safety's sake. Any estimate on the time it should take a mechanic to complete? (Am trying to estimate the install cost if I don't want to do it myself)

If you not using the supplied weld in plates like me - did not want to cut up the tops of the struts so have a bolt in top. Then it should not take too long. However, painting them will take a while - you have to wait for the paint to dry  :o

I just paid for the welding with a but of other jobs I had done at the same time. Drop the parts off -  few weeks later collect and pay. Then I did the painting and installation.

So best to talk to the guys you are going to use but it should not take that long to do depends on how much you can or want to do your self. ie removing of paint so the weld can stick etc, removing of paint so the new tubes can slide over the cut down factor items blah blah. Hard to say - how long is a piece of string really. To do the welding I would think no more than 2 hours tops for all 4. So assuming $70 an hour that would be $140. I am sure it should be less than that but I am trying to build in a bit of wiggle room.

Hell there might be someone on here that might help for a slab and some $$ for new zed parts :D

Haha, yeah was contemplating when/if I get them, offering a couple of cases of beer for someone to show me how to weld and put them in one afternoon. Painting and paint removal is no problems, I can do that myself. Thanks for the info :)

I have had these coil overs made with tubes to suit 260z struts. I have only just recieved them so i haven't started adapting to the struts yet.

With this setup you can get the spring rate you like with adjustable dampener and adjustable height. I was going to do some photos of them assembled.

post-207-144023635289_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey nzder

just wondering how much it cost you to get the azc coilover kit delivered to you.

just trying to weigh up which is better value (buying the whole kit from the states vs pieces together the parts locally using otomoto coil conv. kit).

^ lol

i emailed dave from azc just waiting on a reply for which shocks are included in the package.

also the shipping costs on getting their front wilwood and rotor package delivered to australia.

will add it to the thread when i find out