Photo

240z crabbing from right hand rear toe in!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JamesP

JamesP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

hey guys the 240z i bought has possibly had a hit at some point and the rear right hand side wheel has 5mm toe in. The result is making the car crab to the left! :-\

I have had the car wheel alignment done and all the other wheels are straight. Ive had it on a hoist at Adelaide z cars, and it all seems to be straight underneath and the body is all straight, the wheel doesn't buckle or wobble either so the hub isn't bent at all! I was speaking to a friend who races a 240z and he said he had the same problem and had to re slot the bolt hols on the torsion bar that runs behind the diff to square it up.
Has anyone had this problem, or any idea how to fix it.

Kind regards
James

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

Take notice of the first post:
http://www.viczcar.c...pic,1861.0.html

#3 JamesP

JamesP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Cheers lurch, how do they work?

#4 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Tagline:No more sunroof's!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

I had the same problem.  My rear right was closer to 10mm toe in. Everything looked straight underneath. 

I just got TTT rear adjustable control arms to solve the problem.

#5 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

My first 260Z I had used to crab crawl; problem I traced to the two bits of "L" shaped brackets that come from the floor behind the diff and support the rear A arms bushes towards the rear and that straight part that runs right across the rear of the diff. One of those brackets was bent by about 4-5mm. If you remove them and put them back to back, you can easily see which one is bent. It's a pretty easy fix if that's what it is.

#6 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

ahh yes,
that is why this part of the design is flawed & subsequently phased out to the modular cradle type....
keeping the control arm mounts square to the car, is imperative, even utilising the slop in the bolt holes to chassis can cause above.
so can backing into gutters mind you....
nat0

#7 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

problem I traced to the two bits of "L" shaped brackets that come from the floor behind the diff and support the rear A arms bushes towards the rear and that straight part that runs right across the rear of the diff. One of those brackets was bent by about 4-5mm. If you remove them and put them back to back, you can easily see which one is bent.

Hmm, I might check out that on mine. I have those offset bushes already and although they are set for maximum toe out, I still have both rear tyres with a few mm of toe in???

#8 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

ahh yes,
that is why this part of the design is flawed & subsequently phased out to the modular cradle type....
keeping the control arm mounts square to the car, is imperative, even utilising the slop in the bolt holes to chassis can cause above.
so can backing into gutters mind you....
nat0

Yep, even a decent hit of the wheel from behind by backing into a gutter can bend those brackets. I eventually found a pair that were straight and that solved the crab crawl.

#9 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Also, make sure the bolts that clamp the control arms are tight, mine used give me rear steering because they were loose, but would crab walk on straights after the corner.  Once they were done up really tight, they have been good since, so maybe check that too.

#10 JamesP

JamesP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

Thanks guys all very helpful information!! should be able to sort it out now

Cheers  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users