A Zed is Reborn - MaygZ Folly

MaygZ

The second photo shows my Lab, Jake, who has just had a shoulder reco @ $1600 and the next photo shows my Kelpie, Teddy, who had a fight with a Hilux.  He's currently in ICU at Werribee @ $800/day.  He'll cost about $5-6000 to get back now.  This has cut into the budget more than a little.

Geeeeeeeeeeez

I appreciate you are an animal lover Simon BUT !

That could have gone towards a lot of work and bling on the Zed.

Never seen the bank balance rise so quickly since all the pets have passed away. My brother in law's brother is a vet and he only gets around in a Merc SUV when he is not in his plane. So much for being prime minister. Be a vet instead. Look at Tony Quinn and he feeds the animals and drives some of the coolest cars around along with his son. No good making pet food these days as Tony has that all sown up.  8)

Well the engine is all but striped now.  Was happy to find flat top pistons.  There is still some cross hatching in the bores, so all Good on that front.  No lip on the top of the cylinders, so the pistons slipped out nicely.  It appears the motor has been rebuilt at some stage as the end caps had been number stamped.

I need advice in two areas:

all the big ends are 24mm wide except the centre one which is 30mm.  Is this normal??  What it means at the moment is that I can't get it out as there is no room to tilt it.  Any ideas please?

The other is much smaller; does anyone now of a good cleaning product that will clean the baked on oil gases off the inside of the rocker cover, top of the head, conrods, etc?

Those that know me know I like things shiny.

Those that know me know I like things shiny.

Thank Christ I took my time on those Weber's !

I think 10 of us should get together and come down and do a 10 hour stint / 100 man hour day and help do some work on your old girl, was a hoot on Sunday working with you on that fuel pump catastrophe.

Without a word of a lie, it would be great to see you guys and even better to see you do some bodywork on the old girl (Zed that is).  A weekend after easter??

It was good to catch up.  Dimitris beast has given me some inspiration. ::)

OK, so I'm willing to assist in coordinating this! I think I'll start a new thread and put up a proposed date and list of skills, tools and materials needed.  We need to look at accommodation etc to see if we can make this work.

Rev.

Guys

I definitely meant what I posted and its great to see the response, and cheers REV for taking the lead on coordinating it, I think Lurch would be the best one to advise what is immediately doable in the allotted time, I'm on body detail for the day so maybe its a case of breaking the works down into area's ?

This is great to see and maybe a regular initiative which I'm more than happy to contribute to.

Cheers

John

I can't make it the weekend after Easter :(

Lurch, not The weekend after easter but a weekend after easter.  I'd never be available on the last weekend before school goes back. 

To be honest I'm quite taken a back by this amazingly generous offer.  Thanks guys for even thinking of it.

I got some good advice last night from PeterMc so after my sleep today, I'll get the crank out and then should be able to give the block a golly good wash.

MaygZ

Awsome Maygz. good work. 

Enjoyed reading it and can't wait to see more.

Also the generosity of this community still amazes me.

u guys keep me in the light in the dark tunnel i'm at the moment regarding Z.

all i can do now is read other ppls progress and keep the inspiration alive.

cant wait to see pics of the group work.

Hi Guy's,

Totally relate to land, time and a long overdue project completion date - I have a set of new steering bush's surplus to my requirements, Simon's welcome to them if he wants to email his address. Maybe usefull in the working bee...

Paulo

• 1 month later...