zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location:3 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean the other in Melbourne

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hi all,
Next Sunday [19th June] The Waltz in the Black Forest is running.
If you have CAMS Licence and navigator [girlfriend, partner or whoever you can drag along] you're more than welcome to enter.
Cost is $65 per crew, families are also welcome at this price.
Car type is optional, as many crews just use daily drivers.

Starting at the BP servo opposite Calder Park @ 9:30, it will wind it's way along approx 180 km's of mainly bitumen roads, towards the finish BBQ approximately 80km's out of Melbourne. It is expected for most crews to drive it in 5-6 hours.

I conducted the course check with the event Director last weekend and love some of the roads that he has used. [love to get the rally car out on some of it]!

More details are available from www.hra.org.au or feel free to PM me with any queries.

There will be at least 1 260 out there, so why not have a go at something different and have a go....
MOM

#2 Sean

Sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

Would you mind explaining to me how the majority of HRA events work?

This is a Touring Road event isnt it?
Is it competitve, timed?

Would be nice to have somthing to do in between VCRS's!

Any Info would be great

Thanks

#3 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

It's actually a Touring Assembly.

Only one crew member needs a CAMS 2NS Licence.

There is no one answer for how HRA events work. Every Director has his own idea of how an event should run, therefore you find that the HRA runs Touring Assemblies, Touring Road Events, Historic Touring Road Events and Rallies. No circuit stuff here...

This particular event is suitable for all levels, from first timers to experts.
You certainly won't get lost if this is your first time in a navigational event.

Confused, yes, lost no...

The supp regs and guide to competitors [which you can download from the www site explain it all, have a read, I'm only to happy to answer any questions that you might have after].

MOM

#4 Sean

Sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:31 PM

Definatly looks like it would be an enjoyable event!

Even after reading supp regs, im still a little confused on a few things! :D

Its the weekend before the Nightmoves (possible good chance to run the car over an extended period beforehand?) also, but it would appear from the supp regs that it is not an event suitable for a rally car?

Non-HRA members can run?

It would definatly be a good day, but possibly at an inpractical time for us due to us being incredibly un-prepared for the event the next weekend! :)

#5 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:28 AM

Hi Sean,
Thanks for the interest in the event.

The first event is always the hardest, TA's are at the bottom of the Rally pyramid. They are generally designed to enable any car, ie road car, daily driver to complete a precribed course in which crews have to report at pre-arranged points. No intermediate limits of speed are allowed between these points, there is however a overall time limit for the event. Generally it's 5-6 ours, after which the finish control closes ane you cop 300 points and generally finish somewhere near the bottom!!!!

It's an ideal way of "breaking" in a new crew, the navigator needs to follow maps, while the driver needs to follow instructions and relay back to the navigator what he sees ahead. Many experianced rallyist's still compete in these events, some of the current VRC navigators use these events to "hone" there skills.

Its the weekend before the Nightmoves (possible good chance to run the car over an extended period beforehand?) also, but it would appear from the supp regs that it is not an event suitable for a rally car?

5. Crew Eligibility
5.1 At least one crewmember must hold a CAMS level 2NS Licence or superior and be a current financial member of and hold a club membership card issued by a CAMS affiliated car club.
5.2 The driver(s) of the vehicle must hold a current and valid civil drivers licence.

As you can see it a good way of getting the girlfriend involved without the expense of a Rally Licence or any Licence at all....

Non-HRA members can run?
As long as one crew member is a current financial member of a CAMS affiliated club, you join in the fun.

It would definatly be a good day, but possibly at an inpractical time for us due to us being incredibly un-prepared for the event the next weekend!

This is the best preparation you could have as a crew.

Incidentally, which car have you prepared?

Cheers
MOM[/i]

#6 Sean

Sean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply!

We have a white PRC Rx-7, you may have seen it at an rally earlyer this year, and a few autocross's. - But this car is probably quite impractical (plus it has rally reg).

It appears that it would be a low-stress event that would help build on navigation skills? - something i could really do with!

I am quite interested in running in the event - its just a matter of whether i can get the 'driver' interested.... and of course time!! :D

Sean.

#7 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

Why don't you e-mail the Director and get a copy of the last event sent to you.
Even if you don't make it, at the very least you can grasp an idea of how an event like this works.
I'll be at the start of this one, one of my duties is to assist "newbies", just look for the White 260 if you make it..

I trying to pdf a copy of a 2003 event which I directed, it's complete with maps in each section, start at Rockbank, finishing @ Lal Lal.
Will attach it later..

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

G,Day MOM,
I hope you can get a few of these blokes to come along, sounds good!!!
Geeze it might be allright to get involved with the girlfriend, but I dont think Tess would like the sound of me doing that.
You will have to organise a trip up here Mate
Good luck with the Rally
Jimbo :lol: :lol:

#9 zedrally

zedrally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

Hi Jim,
Long time no speak....

I'm not running the event, just fullfilly a CAMS role [making sure that it's possible to complete, fine tuning competitors instructions etc...]
Last time I was in contact with the director he had 42 crews, I guess it should be up to 50 by now.
Yes, Omeo is due for a run in the zeds, perhaps some of the younger members can organise something for summer?
When's the next rodeo?

Incidentally, have you had another bushfire up there?
Last time I saw your car it was orange, now it's burnt orange!!!!!!!
Hi to Tess....

MOM

#10 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,522 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

Hi MOM i'd love to attend but busy with Exams this week and next week so haven't had a chance to replace the dangerously sloppy suspension in my Z.

Glad you posted the details all the same sounds like good fun.

Omeo sounds like a good idea we'll try to get something organized soon I'm looking forward to a cruise in the Z soon.
:twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users