21 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:19 PM

hey i'm just wondering what people do/have done in terms of upgrading the headlights, do you buy whole new lenses and reflectors or ??? what are the stock lights? h3's? i have a friend who is selling HID kits and am concidering getting one and hes happy to try to fit it before i buy it which would b interesting to see, but would like to weigh up the options, i'm getting sick of yellow lights that are dull hehe thanks -evan

#2 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:29 PM

I have been pondering the same questions and came across this site a month or so ago. I haven't looked into it any more, but it might be right up your alley.

http://www.datsunres..._white_kit.html

#3 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:55 PM

hmm look interesting, there was a 280zx at the autosaloon that had like angel eyes happening...they were blue and looked a bit small due to it but i might look into them...just when would u even use the angel eyes? i guess when its foggy it'd look kinda cool but :s

#4 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:07 AM

arch ie Will, had some awesome white lights on his car, not sure if he is still in the Z world anymore, but you can get him usually on zerounited@hotmail.com

from personal experiance my old Z which had a H4 conversion was just as good as my old silvia and ae86 for lighting....

#5 Nacks

Nacks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

I used to be an Auto Electrician, a good bet is to get yourself a pair of H4 quartz halogen headlights and install a twin headlight relay. You'll love them. I fitted 130/100 globes to my H4s and they're mint.

I also fitted a relay to the (+) side of the lights to eliminate any voltage drop to either side of the globes.

A relay really is needed, otherwise you run the risk of crap headlight performance due to serious voltage drop over a 30 year-old wiring system and possibly melting headlight/dipper switches due to the increase in current draw.
Put simply, it just bypasses most of the wiring system and gives you a feed pretty much straight from the back of your alternator to the headlights.

FWIW, 260Zs have a 12v(+) feed to one side of the headlight globe and switch earth (-) to swap high/low beams, instead of most normal cars that switch the 12v (+) side of the globe.

Nacks

#6 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:05 AM

hey thanks for the info, i'm wanting something that replaces the lenses to make it look as clear and hence modern as possible, and would like to go for HID's purely just coz it looks cool, and i drive at night a fair bit and am getting sick of bmw's blinding me and i think it'd b cool as ppl would think its a new car and then it goes past and its an old zed 8) so mayb somethng like this http://www.truck-lit...23781&langId=-1 but with the right bulbs and stuff, but i'm not in a real rush, gotta work out wat i wanna do when.

at the moment i have some hella 550 driving lights that the previous owner got wired up, they go on via a switch only when highbeams are on, so i'm not sure if he replaced any of the orginal wiring or what, i guess one day i'll pull it apart and see. they do the job when i need them but i'd really like something for normal roads

#7 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:36 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=33710
i'm thinking these must be what that 280zx at the autosaloon had on it, i'd have to say i didn't particually like them in person but mayb that was because they were blue which is way to ricey, but i guess the whole thing is hehe. i just realised my headlights are sealed so i'm going to need to get new reflectors, and i think i'll just get normal ones...

#8 Nacks

Nacks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

They do look cool. The BMW lights are white, not blue though. If you care, you might want to check with the RTA or VicRoads to make sure that forward-facing blue light is actually legal, prior to buying them. You may not be too keen about any extra Police interest in your car. I know I sure as hell aren't :)

My mate bought some blue rubber 'boots' to put over his park lights.
He was pulled over by the Police within two days and told he had to get rid of them. Lucky he didn't get an unroadworthy.

If they're sealed-beam headlights, just getting a headlight relay fitted would see a marked improvement. Ring a couple of auto elecs in your area to get a quote. The H4 quartz-halogen lights have a globe that clips into the back of the reflector housing. If you're just going to replace the sealed-beams, I doubt you'd get any improvement at all, because they're unlikely to be the sole reason your lights aren't great.

Hope this helps.

#9 Rod F

Rod F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

I just installed a Narva headlight upgrade kit from Bursons for around $80. It included new lenses and a pair of 55/100 watt globes. Although the standard beam (55 watts) isn't very powerfull, over my standard sealed beam lenses (which were 55/60 watts) they make a world of difference. :)
I also installed twin relays and drew power from the + terminal of the alternator. Definately recommend this upgrade for anyone with stock headlights as crap as mine.

#10 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

hey

i will be upgrading my headlights tommorrow, one sealed beam is out, and can't be botherd fixing that, so i want new everything up the front to be able to see, and doing a double relay upgrade...

wiring diagram here, stole it from Dave, on classic Z cars,
http://www.classiczc...adlight harness

Attached Thumbnails

• 372_.gif

#11 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi guys, what headlights are we fitting on to upgarde now?

How did the upgrade go?

#12 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

i bought a set of cyrstal cut h4 lenses of ebay for about 60 bux , put 90/100 h4 bulbs in and a "new era" relay and u nearly get welding flash ! i found over the years of playing with cars that have stiff suspension you seem to blow lights heaps more when there over 100 watt (thats my experience) im keen on a set of hid bulbs and ballasts though, ive been studying them for months on the net, and if you actualy want bright light dont go over 6500k as higher goes blue, violet then purple and these are more for the "bling" factor !

hey evan how much does your mate want for h3c & high/low h4 hid ? id be keen as ! thanks -chris.

Attached Thumbnails

• 826_.jpg

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

look around on www.hidplanet.com, and the real loss of brightness happens at anything over 4300k, which is the brightest, and hence y every car comes from the factory with these bulbs. most people think they need to buy 6000k+ to get the blue look that is on bmw's etc, but the blue is actully caused by the diffraction of hte light

i think my mates start from around $350 then go up from there for ones with better components etc, however imho you are much better off buying a retrofit kit off hidplanet for $500+ as then they are the proper brands, like phillips, bosch, ozram, stanley, and come with 12 months warranty, althoguh i think my mates do too. however if this means anything he said the next time he buys bulbs he's going to get 4300k ones (has 6000k atm) and would love to do a retro as they are better, but he bought $2000 jap spec h4 projector headlights for his car and doesn't have the balls to do it lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

there are quite a few reasons y using projectors that were made for HID, mainly the bulbs are longer so they are actully designed to spread the light evenly, where putting a hidkit in reflector headlights that weren't designed for it often causes light to hit parts on the wrong angles, they cause really bad hot spots, and blind the hell out of oncoming traffic, i know i get blinded by people in old 4wd's especially! as you can see from the pics the blue/purple colours are caused the diffraction of light around the cutoff sheild, and the light is actully white

also kits are known for blowing up lol, and yeah i bought a set of those lights on ebay too, then cut the back out of them and stuck in e46 headlights, althoguh i wish they were accord euro ones (tsx), as they create more blue! ohwell i'll rice them up more sometime :D

#14 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys

#15 Bruce

Bruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Following on from the seperate recent thread on HID upgrades, I thought I would revive an old thread on a similiar topic.

My 240z is still running the sealed beam original headlights, before upgrading to HID I thought it would be appropriate to upgrade to some H4 headlights as described above.

The link above (to classiczcars.com) showing the wiring diagram doesn't appear to be working.
Does anyone have this documented anywhere that they would care to share?
thanks
Bruce

#16 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

With regard to the website link posted by matt drago:
http://www.datsunrestore.com

I have had an ongoing dispute with this company "Datsun Restore" or also trading as "Too Intense Restoration" since October 2010.
I purchased some items, including the H4 light upgrade kit, via their website and never received the goods. I called and faxed their contact numbers many times and received no replies. No email replies either.
I then contacted another Datsun vendor in USA who informed me that "Too Intense" were out of business.
I have since been argueing with PayPal who refuse to recognise my complaint because I do not have a PayPal account, but apparently Too Intense used PayPal for cc payments.
I have also complained to my cc company, who have also not replied. And now that several months has past no one is interested in chasing the money except me.
If you recently purchased and received goods from Datsun Restore please contact me so I can follow up. Possibly, but unlikely, my shipment got lost! Doesn't explain why no replies or phone contact, but you never know.
If you purchased and did not receive, welcome to the web world of fraud. Lets swap notes.

Before using Datsun Restore or any other web base business, ring them up and talk to someone. I didn't. I saw a few old posts on the forum by members who had already bought items from Datsun Restore, so I assumed they were okay. Mistake ! Make contact first, then do your purchase. I learnt from that mistake and now always speak to the vendor first.

I am now wondering what it takes to get 'out of business' websites off the web. And I wonder how many other buyers have been ripped off while the website is still up but the business is not.

Scottz.

#17 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

just on headlight upgrades.. thinking of doing this for members for fairly cheap (compared to an auto-elec) pm me if your interested.

#18 Bruce

Bruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

Benny,
PM sent!!

#19 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

Moderators, could you please edit Matt's post to reflect Scottz post or atleast add a warning to contact via phone before purchase.  I checked the site and it still allows purchase.

I hate to hear of blokes getting bitten.

It's almost impossible to get a website pulled, unless their activity was illegal to start with.

#20 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Well Just finished bruces headlight upgrade!! Ill let him post back the results after his drive home!! They looked a whole lot brighter then his old sealed beamers!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users