Spring brand and rate recommendation List

luvemfast

What brand springs and what spring rate are people running? and where did they find the best deal?

After DECA it is fairly obvious that my suspension is too soft. Called King Springs this morning to get my rates with a big shock.

Just thought it would be good to have a log of everyones set-up for future reference.

I have lowered heavy duty King Springs, from Top Performance in Vermont.

Front      KDFL-15 (170lb)

Rear      KDRL-11 (200lb)

Lovells springs - price free for a sticker on the car ;D

Koni adjustable dampers

Car 240Z built to CAMS 2B rules, track only running 18"x8" wheels with full slicks.

Standard struts with spring perches dropped 2 inches to lower static height of car whilst retaining full spring and shock length.

Rates - front 450lb/inch

- rear 420lb/inch

Set up not recommended for anyone else.

Don't want to hijack the thread. ;D  Just a question on lowering spring perches......

I understand how this lowers the car, but i can't see how that would retain travel of the shock.  The shock would still be travelling in a lower position and more likely to bottom out, just like lowered springs, right? I thought sectioning the struts was the only fix.

BTW, i have Kings Springs. Part Numbers - KDFL-08 progressive (Front) and KDRL-09 linear (Rear) on sectioned tokico illunina struts (it was bottoming out).  Bought springs on ebay for $300 a set.

On 17" rims, the ride is quite harsh.  Much better with my old 14" rims.  :(

Last time my 260z was on the road (13 years ago)

Section struts and Koni yellow's with unknown springs

Front 225lb/in

Rear 210lb/in

with adjustable TC rods and LCA was great fun.

This time (when I finish putting it together that is)

Coil Overs from AZC with threaded shock setup (had shocks dyno'd good for upto 650lb/in)

Front 6kg/mm (336lb/in) from Ben of Otomoto

Rear 5kg/mm (280lb/in) from Ben of Otomoto

However most track Zed here in NZ are running

Front 550lb/in - 650lb/in (depending on track/car setup)

Rear 350lb/in - 450lb/in

Kings are common or Eibach here in NZ

Mine is soft as dual purpose - and no full cage linking to front strut towers etc.

What brand springs and what spring rate are people running? and where did they find the best deal?

After DECA it is fairly obvious that my suspension is too soft. Called King Springs this morning to get my rates with a big shock.

Just thought it would be good to have a log of everyones set-up for future reference.

I have lowered heavy duty King Springs, from Top Performance in Vermont.

Front      KDFL-15 (170lb)

Rear      KDRL-11 (200lb)

Simon

I think you will find that the low Kings Springs are the same rate as the standard ride height.........I installed the standard Kings in my Zed and cut them down by 1.5 coils, this then increased the spring rates by around 25 % over the standard numbers

The ride in my Zed is firm and corning is flat without being harsh and causing kidney damage

Maybe order the standard height and experiment with cutting them down bit by bit (unless the 280zx has flats on both ends of the spings???)

Simon

Maybe order the standard height and experiment with cutting them down bit by bit (unless the 280zx has flats on both ends of the spings???)

I've spoken to King Springs and they can make me custom poundage and height for $300

Looking into other options too.

As you saw, something needs to be done!

• 5 years later...

Hi guys

Today's question is spring rates on a 240z running a L28 and Rota 17x9 f & 17.5x17 r.

Been doing some research but the waters get murkier the deeper you dive in.

The car will be a weekend warrior mainly for fast road with the occasional trackday thrown in.

Some say harder front, softer rear. Some say around 200lb/in front, others 450lb/in. All I know is that the Stig Is sweet fa helpful on this one. So who does know?

Just looking for ballpark figures here.

Ta in advance

Martin

I run the King low Springs. Kdfl08 & kdrl09.

They are pretty good for the street but a little soft for track work.

These springs are not captive which is a little inconvenient but not the end of the world.

Good luck in your search. Plenty of opinions on this topic.

Harder front, the figures you have quoted are at both ends of the scale for fronts. With good shocks like revalved to suit Bilsteins you can comfortably run harder springs than usual otherwise keep to the softer end of the scale.

Thanks Cozza

Any idea what the spring rate is with those??

My car is already set-up for coilovers so will be going with the 65mm id springs, not the standard size.

Cheers

Kings are around 165lbs and 180lbs (might not be spot on but pretty close) but are progressive.

So is harder front the go? Read plenty where they say softer front. Which way is best?

I've sectioned the struts already with 300zx dampers that are shorter than the 240's and slightly firmer (so I'm lead to believe).

Anymore views on rates, front and rear?

Cheers

Martin

I suggest you read through this

http://eibach.com/m-america/en/motorsport/products/suspension-worksheet

Weigh your car getting the corner weights. Decide on a spring supplier and have a chat to them.

My MCA struts have 6kg front and 4kg rear. Remembering that metric springs are measured by the weight it takes to deflect the spring 1mm where imperial springs and the lbs to deflect the spring 1".

Jeff

Hi Martin. My previous track 240z with 17x9s I was using 330lb front and 275lb rears. Handled fantastic , but a little harsh on the road. Now I'm driving it on the road I've gone back to 275 f and 220 r. It much nicer on the road and still stiff enough for some track work. With this same car I did go to 440 f and 330 r for the very smooth PI track. Work well on track but was undrivable on the road.

As a rule stick with stiffer springs on the front. Sway bars can be standard or a bit heavier on the front. From there you can fine tune it according to your preference

If you are buying springs you are better off picking them up rather than having them delivered. You should ask the supplier if you can measure the spring rate before you take delivery. I've found there can be BIG discrepancies between the rate they are purported to be and what they actually are.

Spring length. A lot of the track guys cut 50mm off the standard strut as I have done. This makes it easier to run a low ride hight with out bottoming out the shocker. So with the shortened strut I use a 250 mm spring. You can get away with a 200mm spring but you have to be carefull on full droop the spring is not loose. 300mm maybe to long, depending on wear you set the threaded sleeve hight on the strut leg. Hope this helps.

I would have a look at Thomas Mash Springs. They are manufactures of springs and are located at Coral Park and they will make to your requirements . Many years ago I had them do a set for me as I made my own coil over set up . Helps when you're a machinist. I also worked with a few of there (Thomas Mash) engineers. Still using those same springs in the 260Z  today . Goggle them and have a look at their web site.

http://www.marshsprings.com.au/