Thermostat housing switches

zrevival

I'm looking to change my late model 260z thermostat housing to an earlier 240z one as the 240z version does not have an outlet for the water heating of the carburator system (swapping to triples - so don't need it)

The 260z thermostate housing version has two switches however - one to the temperture guage (yellow wire) and a second one with a ground wire and another output wire (orange - from memory). What does this switch do - and more importantly can i live without it?

If so - what do i need to do to the orange wire if i don't install the second switch thermostat housing??

Interesting dilema!! I changed my switch to a new standard 260z temp sender in the thermostat housing and a new 280zx temperature guage sender which has two sensors on that particular switch, I am yet to be able to hook it up myself successfully to get a reading on the temp guage?

I think one of the sensors is for a thermo fan which I do not have. I am seriously baffled!!

Ultimately I think now I need an auto electrician to establish the temp guage reading connection now, it seems to be beyond me???

I know the 260z temp guage switch had an earth and wire for the temp guage reading plus the heat sensor switch.

Lynton ???

Interesting dilema!! I changed my switch to a new standard 260z temp sender in the thermostat housing and a new 280zx temperature guage sender which has two sensors on that particular switch, I am yet to be able to hook it up myself successfully to get a reading on the temp guage?

I think one of the sensors is for a thermo fan which I do not have. I am seriously baffled!!

Ultimately I think now I need an auto electrician to establish the temp guage reading connection now, it seems to be beyond me???

I know the 260z temp guage switch had an earth and wire for the temp guage reading plus the heat sensor switch.

Lynton ???

Hi Lynton, no it should work with the 280 temp sender, chances are if it reads incorrectly the sender maybe malfunctioning or you have the incorrect thermostat, the sender unit grounds itself to the gauge to give a reading, thermostat must be a 82 degrees regardless of the climate you are in , and maintain half way on the temp gauge at all times, if it dosnt look else where for problems, cheers buddy thanks for the rain!!!

Thanks for the replies - although i'm probably now more confused.

Just to clarify - the 260z housing has a water pipe outlet that i need to get rid of.

The 260z housing also has two switches on it;

1. A one wire version (same as the 240z)

2. A two wire version - not sure what this is for

I've tried unscrewing the pipe outlet - so i can block it off, but it appears to be chemically welded into the housing and if i put anymore presure on the housing (while screwing the pipe outlet) - i'll likely crack it.

The 240z housing only has one switch (temperature sender) however (and no water pipe outlet) - which solves my problem, hence i would like to change to that one.

So the question really is - on the 260z housing what does the second switch (the two wire one) actually do? - and  can i live without it??

This was a factory air conditioned car - which is now removed, so i was hoping that the second two-wire switch was one i didn't need.