#1 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hi,
    out of interest I am just wondering what manual gearboxes would fit in a zed with the above engines and would handle 700+HP? I know a lot of guys use an RB25DET box but this may not handle this kind of power. My thoughts were to see if Holinger, Getrag or Tremec does a box that handles this and fits in the transmission tunnel. Both Holinger and Tremec do not seem to have much on their sites that goes above 550HP. Just wondering what people would do if they did not go an auto once they had this kind of power? Cheers.

#2 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

What gearboxes do RB26DETT's come out with, they seem to go pretty good up to 600hp?

How do you plan on making that much power?
Maybe you should just buy a V8 supercar box!

#3 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

Jericho 4 speed or 5 speeds from nascar will .the 25 box will with a gear set mine did

#4 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

What gearboxes do RB26DETT's come out with, they seem to go pretty good up to 600hp?

How do you plan on making that much power?
Maybe you should just buy a V8 supercar box!

Eventually I was thinking of building an RB30/26 with this kind of power - the R.I.P.S. car is up to 1500 HP with this combo and there is a guy in Australia getting a similar figure. The chassis would need a lot of bracing though - I would prob get a car with a full cage already and reinforce it. What do the supercars run? I thought they ran a Holinger but not sure which type, couldn't see it on their website. I would do rear wheel drive only so not sure if the RB26 box would suit or handle the power?

Peter also thought about the NASCAR box. Would it fit in the trans tunnel? It handles 900HP in NASCAR so that might be an option. How much power are you getting at the flywheel and I assume you have got straight cut gears. Who did your box for you and did they tell you how much power/torque it was good for? Thanks guys.

#5 Ledge

Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

Hi
A good mate of mine has a R33 drift car with over 700hp, He killed an os giken box , the went to a local box and
has had no trouble since, From memory i think it was around 8g

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/

Regards
Paul

#6 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Why not just do 300zx gearboxes?
Use the bellhousing from the RB26 gearbox that you get with your frontcut, then each time you kill a gearbox, just unbolt and bolt another in.
I got my z32 gearbox for $500 much cheaper then a RB25 gearbox.

#7 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Call Hollinger, they have just recently started making their older gearboxes.
They used to not do them, but with the GFC will do now.

#8 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

the Jericho is tiny it smaller than stock box

#9 mtopxsecret6

mtopxsecret6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

rb25 box with ppg internals. The rb26 box has the front shafts on it, can be made to run in rwd only, ie take out shafts, cut box, weld cover plates etc.. best option is the rb25 with ppg straight cut dogbox gearset, Less than all the other boxes quoted. Too make that sort of power out of the 30/26, you would need a massive turbo.. whats the car going to be used for? The skyline guys  use the rb30 block to gain extra low end torque, and more air flow volume for a massive turbo.. 1500hp wouldnt be very street friendly, lag lag lag lag.. boost.. change gear.. lag.. lag.. lag.. lag.. boost.. change gear.. and so on..
Even at the power figure of 700hp, you would need to run a decent sized turbo to make that power, an extra half litre of chamber volume doesn't give you an instant jump of hp.

The rb25 will bolt on, and with ppg straight cut dog box internals will handle over 1000hp, that's the path i would take.

#10 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

that is the box i put in big 33 projects have not broken one yet . stay Australian if u can. gt4088 will make that power and not be to lagy but driving a z with that power  will kill you on the street they are dangerous .all car are dangerous with that power must be treated with respect or they will bite 

#11 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:07 AM

Thanks guys. The car would be for two things, a couple of runs on the salt flats with a tall diff and then would be used for circuit/sports sedans. I probably would not rego it and would buy a zed that already has a cage and an RB30/25/26. There should be at least five in Aus that fit that description. Just have to wait until I have the funds and the place to store it. Cheers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users