So I've recently been giving a new forum feature some thought. The feature is known as Karma and it allows members to give points to other members on the site and in some cases take them away. It's kind of like eBay's member seller / buyer feedback. I decided to activate it on a trial basis to see the communities reaction.
What prompted me to take the plunge and activate it was the thread about Dimitri
When to use positive karma
- You ask a question and someone helps you with a useful response.
- You buy something from a fellow member and it checks out A-OK
- You have been reading posts from a specific user and find their responses professional, useful and concise
- You want the community to recognise someone for their valuable contributions
- You like clicking on things and watching numbers go up
When to use negative karma
- Use negative karma if someone is not helpful or rude
- Use negative karma if you bought something and it wasn't as decribed
When not to use negative karma
- You're having a bad day
- When you don't agree with someone- use your own discretion here
- If you are having a heated debate on a topic - debates are fine as long as people are being reasonable.
- On newbies - don't make outsiders and first time users feel unwelcome. Give them the benefit of the doubt
Most importantly I want your feedback on this feature. If you like it, hate it let me know or maybe just tell me via karma .
One final word on this feature is that I hope it doesn't alienate people or make them feel like they have nothing to contribute.
Let the Karma begin!