Tyre Stretching

sydney mike

I don't get it..

The rims are wider than  the tyres..... 8 inches = 203mm, 8.5 inches = 216mm.

Calling all tyre technicians...........

would it be unsafe to fit a 195/55 on a 16x8"  and 205/55 on 16x8.5"rim?

I think you'd get away with it, but it's not ideal - why do you want skinny tyres on such wide rims?  For clearance I suppose.

Here is a 195/45/16 on an 8" rim

http://www.tyrestretch.com/8_195_45_R16/

And a 205/45/17 on an 8.5" rim

http://www.tyrestretch.com/8.5_205_45_R17/

Not quite the same side wall height you will have, but as close as I could find.

IMO, I think tyre stretch just looks silly and depending on how modified you car is will detract from it over-all, negating the expense you put into nice looking wide rims. If you can't fit the 'correct' tyre size without rolling the guards I'd be surprised. As for dangerous, probably not, it's not that much stretch.

Something like this would be dangerous:

i.php?a=10_175_60_R13&i=10_175_60_R13_NEXEN_N2000-1.jpg&s=595&cw=&ch=&q=85

That is a 175 on a 10" by the way....

Consider also the rolling radius; unless you are not fussed about speedo error correction..

After I fit the new wheels I guess I'll check the speedo against a GPS and note any difference. It's widely accepted that GPS is more accurate than a car speedo.

• 3 weeks later...

I fit them all the time, usally for the drift guys and jap import guys, 205 on a 10 we have done and 175 on 8.5, it is usally for clearance but its also a "look" hang the rims out wide past the guard and then stretch the tyre to clear, fattens up the back end, me personally i run 225 40 17 on a  7.5in rim fits good. it works for some not for others. it could be related to pants as well, i usally find that if you can pull your pants up so your undies and your arse crack are not expossed you will fit the correct size tyre, and if you wear  your pants so it cradles the bottom of your butt and have not been told that a  belt is desinged to hold your pants up and not to cut off the circulation to your feet as you tighten it around your thighs. you will go with the stretch ;D

it could be related to pants as well, i usally find that if you can pull your pants up so your undies and your arse crack are not expossed you will fit the correct size tyre, and if you wear  your pants so it cradles the bottom of your butt and have not been told that a  belt is desinged to hold your pants up and not to cut off the circulation to your feet as you tighten it around your thighs. you will go with the stretch ;D

;D That's GOLD!

Aidannn have you got a pic with the  hayashis fitted on your Zed? Are you running flares?

Nah I'm not running the hayashis or the flares yet. Both are still sitting in my garage.

In regards to stretching tyres. I'm not a huge fan. I agree with the others in that wide rims deserve wide tyres, stretching for cosmetics looks crap to me. Although on certain cars it does look good eg. Bosozoku