Rear diffuser/splitter ideas?

RB30X

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

okay guys i will pass on the feedback and get Freddy to re-sketch the 2 &5 and make it more subtle.  I will mention that we want something to accentuate the classic Z styling eg. ZG's, bre spoilers etc

And sco-aus he can make them functional but they wont be subtle and most likely look too hardcore and would require serious modifications.. The diffuser we are working on will have minimal to no modification to rear valance .

Although if its something your willing to do it can be done...but best you contact or visit his shop to discuss it as it will be a one-off.

Thanks, Tai

#2 looks great I think. All it needs is for the top corners to be smooth, rather than right angled. I.E. GT-86 design. I think that would suit the curves of the Z more than the right angles.

Well done,

#2 is by far the most appropriate for a z. Id take one although im not sure about the top area rising up. If the top part of the splitter was a straight line it would look more natural and subtle which would compliment the rear styling of most of our zs.

good stuff

#2 is by far the most appropriate for a z. Id take one although im not sure about the top area rising up. If the top part of the splitter was a straight line it would look more natural and subtle which would compliment the rear styling of most of our zs.

good stuff

+1 for smoothing the top line

#2 looks great I think. All it needs is for the top corners to be smooth, rather than right angled. I.E. GT-86 design. I think that would suit the curves of the Z more than the right angles.

Well done,

+1 for smoothed and rounded top corners

I have been reading this thread, without much interest in the past. Until now.

Freddy's sketches have really shown the differences between an amateurs view vs a pro!

From my experience in Engineering, I would basically listen to what Freddy recommends. As he is taking into account the manufacturing processes. If you want something that is a bit harder or awkward to make, the costs go up.

So sticking to the ones recommended. On #2, where does the exhaust go? Can #5 have the droppers added in the mid section much like #2 & #4?

Also, what is needed to make them functional? Can there be an extra bolt on component for track days? Sinisha's rear is quite radical and sticks out a long way. Nothing at all like whats been presented in this entire thread.

+2 on the points Chartoo +1'd.

Again thanks Freddy for taking the an interest and the time to work on this! I'm sure our collective ideas will get a really good product out that might even get interest from overseas.

I'd like to come up with something that starts in front of the 260Z fuel tank, runs full width, out to lower rear wheel arches, drops down, hugs the bottom of the tank, again full width, attached to the lower rear bottom Qtr panel lips, and the lower rear valance, smooth line, full cover, in carbon fibre, or something liteweight.

No rear muffler, as exhaust is exiting infront of LH wheel.

Intention is to smooth up underbody airflow, stop turbulence drag and make it look "not obvious"

As it is for a racecar, that others may object to it being there.

Car already has smooth under front to behind engine cross member, all holes covered.

I just look at the underside of the rear end, and think "drag" !!!

i'd be interested in the one mentioned above, having no distinct spot for the exhaust could work in peoples favour as let them cut into it accordingly

might see if i can harrass an awesome sketcher at work to do a couple of things

This guy on Hybrid is working on a rear diffuser too: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/79649-progress-on-my-insane-vq35hr-240z-project/page__st__260

Just thought I'd post cause his side profile looks quite nice. Pretty insane build too if you want to flick through the pages...

Sorry for the delay guys. Freddy is flat out in the middle of finishing cars for world time attack.

Give me a week and i'll present all the ideas and feedback to him to do some digitised renderings.

As soon as i get them i will post up. Don't stress this will happen!!  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

I like 1 through 4.

It's hard to pick one I like more than the others, 5 is just too busy.

#3 is just very aesthetically pleasing, could be used for hidden exhaust well.

#1 reminds me of some of the current aftermarket splitters that have caught my eye on some time attack cars.

#2 and #4 are more conventional splitter ideas, that just seem to flow well.

I'll have to keep some of these ideas in mind if I do decide to add a splitter to my car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...