Rear diffuser/splitter ideas?

RB30X

The gear that Freddy at Topstage makes is top notch. I've been past his shop, he does aero for GT3 cars, we are lucky that he is a Zed fan and owner as well. The rear wing he made is awesome and addressed all the issues I have with the standard BRE one (BRE has gaps between the wing and the body on the sides, has a bulge on the RHS for a badge which hardly anyone actually uses, does not follow the verticle line of the body).

If there is anyone anywhere in the world for this job, it's Freddy. I have no personal or professional relationship with him, just lots of respect.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Throw up some ideas guys. Any input or designs i will foward to Freddy which may influence the final design.

Do you guys prefer to cut rear valance and put a peice in place or more of a overlay or something that hangs under original valance?

Personally im thinking something like the new 86 rear diffuser may look good.

For me I wouldnt like to cut the rear up. I think one that fits over the top and then comes down a bit more than standard to cover the fuel tank. I think designs wise nothing outrageous or too ricey as its a classic car. Will post up a design soon

Yeah im not interested in cutting.  Was thinking something that begun under the lip of rear end, and covered all over the tank to a mounting point around there?

post-3750-144023679808_thumb.jpg

I like those doodles. That sounds wrong :P

I think it would look better to cut away metal for this, but understand that would rule a lot of people out so would be happy enough for something that goes over the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Its gonna take a few more weeks guys. Freddy has told me he is flat out working on cars for WTAC time attack or something over the next few weeks. I'll be sure to update as soon as i know anything

Okay guys got some rough sketches from Freddy at Topstage for splitters. These designs are for 'the Cosmetic type'

Fully functional ones with undercarriage will have to be made custom or later on if there is alot of interest.

Anyway these are just rough sketches so things like lines, reflectors, gills, vents, etc may be added once we determine which one we like and proper detailed designs are sketched.

Freddy insisted me to only Post up Designs 2 and 5 as he believes they will work the best for the Z without too much if any modification to rear valance. But i will post them up anyway so you can get an idea of what certain splitters may look like.

The last pic is a more detailed (not final sketch) close up of what Design 5 will look like and what Freddy recommends being a Z owner himself.

So guys get discussing. Do you like Design 2 or 5? Any changes? Any other ideas? speak up and lets get this rolling.

Design 1:

img20120716wa0004.jpg

Design 2:

img20120716wa0003q.jpg

Design 3:

img20120716wa0002.jpg

Design 4:

img20120716wa0001.jpg

Design 5:

img20120716wa0000.jpg

Design 5: Close up detailed:

img20120716wa0005.jpg

First thing thanks for the hard work on the designs freddy.  I would say all the designs are good and I like number 2 best. The only comment I would make is that they might come accross a little agressive in the styling compared to the rest of the bodywork on the car such as the front spoiler and some zg flare. What are other peoples opions? Now is the time to add your 2 cents. Thanks again freddy ;)