Race Seats for 260z

Whittie

What seat is that?

I'm looking for 2 new ones but having a hard time finding a nice one that fits around a cage!

Can be hard to find a narrow enough seat, I use a Sparco Evo and I sit quite offset to the left to bolt it to the floor and clear the main hoop of the bar.

I use a Cobra monaco pro, fits in with cage and side intrusion bars on original mounts, all the other seats I  found would hit the door with the shoulder of the seat unless offset in a big way. They're good comfy seats and I fit in the standard size, not bad at 6ft3 and 100kg  ;D

• Moderators

I managed to shoe horn two Velo seats in my 240..drivers side slightly leaning to the left but hardly noticeable. Just to clear the shoulder support and the door. Can take pics if needed.

Well, started getting off topic in the other thread so thought I'd bring it here.

Basically, I'm looking for 2 race seats for my zed rebuild. Budget is $1000 per seat, but I was looking at the sparco EVO at $1050 so would probably go to that. Really don't want to go over.

At the moment I'm hearing good things and like the look of the Velo seats (at $800, they're cheap too!) Also some of the OMP offerings.

The seat needs to fit around the roll cage, door and intrusion bar. The hoop was designed so that the top of the seat wont hit it, but the intrusion bar rubs on my current seat. The 'wings' on all the latest seat (look shit btw) seem to be the biggest issue with seats in these cars.

The seat must be fiberglass and FIA approved. ADR not required. Preferably as light as possible (-8kg). The seats with the head supports would be awesome, but I doubt they'll fit.

So, what have people got and how do they fit? Suggestions and reccomendations all welcome please!

I have just ordered a pair of Cobra Daytona 2 recline-able seats for my 260Z. They are light as a feather, comfy, good support and look good too.

$699 each for nylon or $899 for Black Rock finish (more durable) from Revolution Racegear.

Not sure about fitment in a car with a roll cage though.

post-1856-144023577321_thumb.jpg

I have an OMP seat in my Z.  I had to mount it off centre as it was too wide.

What didn't fit, were the wings too wide or the leg supports?

Hey Roberto, Recliners are no good for me as they aren't FIA approved, for a road car tho, they look fantastic!

BTW, thanks to the mod Lurch, who sorted this thread out!

What didn't fit, were the wings too wide or the leg supports?

the wings were too wide.

I don't notice it being off centre, but people who drive it for the first time always comment.

You get used to 'off centre' very quickly.  My old Alfa Sud had you sitting at an angle.  You got used to it very quickly and it became awkward to sit facing square on.

The tiny little pedals set so close together took a little longer to get used to.

the wings were too wide.

I don't notice it being off centre, but people who drive it for the first time always comment.

Damn, that sucks.

Does anyone know WHY the wings on seats are so wide these days? Is it some new design safety feature or it just 'looks cool'. Personally, I hate it, and not just cause it wont fit in my car!

You get used to 'off centre' very quickly.  My old Alfa Sud had you sitting at an angle.  You got used to it very quickly and it became awkward to sit facing square on.

Hmm, I'm trying to make this car without all the little quirks that many people put up with. I'd rather it was done 'properly' and it didn't have to sit off cente. At the end of the day, If I can't find a seat then this is what I'll d, But at this stage, I'd rather not.

No Prob.  I understand.

I suspect the wings are getting wider 'cause we (the general population) are getting wider.  Sad but true.  I know I spend half my time now hitting the backspace 'cause I keep hitting more than one keuy.

The tiny little pedals set so close together took a little longer to get used to.

Haha - emergency stop in a Sud/33... equals coming to a screaming halt with all 4 wheels locked up and the engine valve bouncing.  Well, with my feet it does anyway.

Damn, that sucks.

Does anyone know WHY the wings on seats are so wide these days? Is it some new design safety feature or it just 'looks cool'. Personally, I hate it, and not just cause it wont fit in my car!

Hmm, I'm trying to make this car without all the little quirks that many people put up with. I'd rather it was done 'properly' and it didn't have to sit off cente. At the end of the day, If I can't find a seat then this is what I'll d, But at this stage, I'd rather not.

If you're a skinny bastard like me, you could look into Sparco Corsa seats.  But when I say skinny, I mean really skinny.  My reason for buying that seat was that it actually gives me lateral support without any slop side to side, which I get even in a Sparco Evo (only a small amount in those though).  The wings only stick out past my shoulders by about half an inch either side...

If you want some reference material, Sparco put out a spec sheet for all their seats with the dimensions on them (including weights and construction materials).  Can't find the one I had printed out just at the moment to confirm whether it shows width of the wings, but a quick search of the net should turn one up for you.

*EDIT*  Got less lazy, heres a link: http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/26.pdf

Hmmm, just had a look at the measurements, and they all seem to be about the same, apart from the Tec and the Sprint...  However, if you start playing with dimension C, you might be able to get it high or low enough to clear the side bar.  Although, given how little my seat sticks out past my shoulders, either I have wide shoulders, or you're leaning against the rollcage as it is?

If you're a skinny bastard like me, you could look into Sparco Corsa seats.

Yeah I have the brochure, been looking through it. I LOVE the look of the corsa, especially the full height leg supports!!

The seat I have at the moment is nice and skinny. The skinnier the better!

According to the Sparco brochure tho, the Rev 5 is the skinniest 'wing' seat they make. 580mm, the Corsa is 600mm, same as the EVO. If people are saying the EVO doesn't fit, how does the Corsa?!

either I have wide shoulders, or you're leaning against the rollcage as it is?

The seat I have rubs the door bar on the leg support and can't go all the way back because it hits the main hoop.

I'll find a pic and post

Yeah I have the brochure, been looking through it. I LOVE the look of the corsa, especially the full height leg supports!!

The seat I have at the moment is nice and skinny. The skinnier the better!

According to the Sparco brochure tho, the Rev 5 is the skinniest 'wing' seat they make. 580mm, the Corsa is 600mm, same as the EVO. If people are saying the EVO doesn't fit, how does the Corsa?!

I don't have it in a Zed (unfortunately I have no Zed to put it in!), and I don't have a rollcage (yet)!  But if you like skinny, you definitely should have a sit in a Corsa.  They are a bit funny in comparison to almost any other seat though, in that you kind of feel almost like you sit on top of it rather than actually in it.  Feels like you might fall out compared to other seats, but you don't.

The seat I have rubs the door bar on the leg support and can't go all the way back because it hits the main hoop.

I'll find a pic and post

Hmmm.  Bugger.  Although, if its that close to the main hoop, is that going to cause an issue in getting it logged?  Seem to remember something about 150mm minimum distance between your head and the main hoop, although no CAMS manual on hand.

Hmmm.  Bugger.  Although, if its that close to the main hoop, is that going to cause an issue in getting it logged?  Seem to remember something about 150mm minimum distance between your head and the main hoop, although no CAMS manual on hand.

Not sure about log book. But there is actually no where else to fit a cage and a seat, so we'll have to see what happens. Might modify the mount to get log book then put it back. The rear hoop sits BEHIND the seat, so you aren't going to hit that, and the bar along the roof is padded, so that is not an issue. Basically, to hit exposed hoop you'd have to snap the seat. In that case, hitting the hoop with your helmet is not #1 priority....

Cage:

P1010234.jpg

You can see the clearance here sort of:

P1010005.jpg

Note that the seat sits forward of the main hoop.

Maybe this is a slightly better photo?

P1010001.jpg

Not home at the moment so I can't just duck out and take one.

**EDIT**

I think I found the seat I'm after. The suggestion of the Cobra seats got me looking and I found the Cobra Suzuka Pro. It's a Fiberglass/Kevlar frame instead of straight Fiberglass and is slightly smaller than the Sparco's.

$1200 from revolution racegear, or $750 +shipping from the UK

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Seats_&_Accessories/Seats/Cobra_Suzuka_Pro_Kevlar_Seat/1761/4876/13330

• Moderators

Sorry, I'll post up pics of my Velo's installed with a half cage and intrusion bars. I think i mentioned it a few days ago but everytime I get home it's too dark and cold!