Hatch hinge rubber?

mossy

Latest update; everything is fine now and all go with both moulds, made the first set and will continue making till all those who still want a set get them..only a couple of teething troubles which I'll sort out over the weekend, then in production...the first set look great, they're for my car at long last but they are even better than the first one I posted (photo) earlier in thread because the tin of liquid was old and I've been in touch with the sales Rep, I've known him for years and he's looking after me now, making sure I get the latest date supplies

Three main tips for fitting hinge boots; 1) round off the ends of the hinge pins so they don't cut the boot when fitting, they need to be forced a bit, even the originals were like that. 2) check square hole in body for sharp edges and anything that might interfere with fitment. 3) use some Permatex non hardening sealant around square hole in body or around corresponding part of boot (behind boot flange), alternatively you can stick the whole area of the flange to the body with some sort of glue or sealant that won't lift the paint when removing boot at a later stage

If you don't have the thin sheet metal backings anymore I'll make a dummy one and post a photo so you see how you can make them, it's a simple easy shape that will do the job well as a substitute for the originals...it's not the best of ideas to bolt the hinge directly against the rubber, the larger surface area metal backing will give the hinge a more solid surface to bolt to and the rubber won't "squeeze" out so much

Pete

Mate, your copies look soooo good. I am still keen for a set. I am finding I end up with water working its way through there into the boot. For that reason I think it would be quite important to get a good seal particularly along that bottom edge so the water can't drip into the cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian, Yep supply is under way, this first set is for Chris 240. A set for Lurch is will be out of the mould tomorrow. The job is getting easier now but I'm waiting for new supply of rubber, will take a few days for it to arrive then I'll simply keep making them and PM members as each set is done

I was given a refund on the very first tin of rubber, all the boots I made from it collapsed, so pressed the issue and got a guarantee that all future material will be from fresh stock, the pic shows the first set from fresh stock, they'll be mailed to Chris early this week, he can check them out and relay his assessment

Try not to bend them around too much when you get them, for the first week or so, the rubber needs longer to cure than what's stated on the tin. It needs a good week, then you can do pretty much what you like with them

To fit them to your car, just place your fingers in the boots and push them straight into the shell....to remove them is a bit trickier, take hold of the bottom lip, then pull boot out and upwards at 45 degrees until it stops, then work the top part of the flange down past the roof pinchweld, at the same time tugging the bottom lip of the boot

I made the top part of the flange, that's the 8mm piece across the top of the square opening, a greater depth for extra strength so they won't sag...the originals were 5mm, they all sagged ! but the extra depth on these that I'm making means it's a little more difficult to remove them from the shell

Pete

post-1958-144023600619_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks ChrisZ, and apologies for not answering much sooner than this to your post

You are on the list for a set

No I can't see my way clear to do Euro group buy, all I can do is fill the current orders for Auzcar members....then after that, they will only be available when and if I have the time and material to make them....the best thing to do after I've completed the Auzcar orders is to email and ask if I have some available...the material has a shelf life and I must use it up so there will be a good chance I'll have some rubbers ready to go, whether they be hinge boots....or other small Zed rubbers which I intend to make moulds for

Cheers Pete

No problem Pete, i will keep my big mouth shut, when you got a set for me, please PM me the total include shipping and i can PayPal you some founds along with my shipping adress.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Pete,

got your PM and just paid it.. i wasn't able to send you a PM back (said you were blocking me), so i sent you an email through your profile.. let me know if you don't get it (and if so, pm me your email address)

thanks

Kent

Hi Kent, I changed "Receive PMs from" ...from "Administrators" to "All Members", hope that works, funny thing is I never touched it before, yesterday only checked "Save outbox PMs" so something must have changed by itself without me knowing

Need help here, why was Kent's PM blocked ?

Delivery of boots will slow up a little from Mon 24th 'cause resuming day job after busy holidays lol.....got the old torn handbrake mechanism rubber off the other day and looking at it to see how a mould could be made....the old rubber is as thin as paper, might have to make new ones thicker I'm thinking, don't know if I can make em that thin...

What board would rubber parts come under, "Body", "Maintenance" ? I'll start a new topic just for rubber parts if you all think it's a good idea

Pete