Hatch hinge rubber?

mossy

Folks

I just struggled through my first experience ever at filling out the "sell" form on Ebay to sell a set of hinge boots, geez I hope it gets easier for future listings but the boots sold in about twelve hours under "Buy it Now". You might have seen them there, I did my best with the photo, not easy to photograph black coloured items

But what I wanted to say is if members here still need boots , do yourself a favour and continue to PM through Auszcar to get your discount, it's still working that way

Btw, all my seconds sold, the ones with small defects that don't affect the fitting or operation of the boots, months ago....but I have one more set here since then, at a much reduced price if anybody wants them

Regards, Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise that someone was knocking these up! Thanks for digging up this old post.

PM sent as well Pete, hoping you are still in the Rubber business!

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, sorry for late photos but here they are of original re-inforcing plate and factory adjustment shims for the hatch hinges. If you have some re-inforcing plates and want to use them chances are they'll be bent and twisted so carefully straighten them back to original shape ensuing that the narrow bottom section provides just enough pressure on the bottom lip of the hinge boot to push it against the opening in the body shell. With a coating of sealant as well, moisture can't get past

The factory shims were fitted in between the re-inforcing plate and the hinge, metal to metal both sides, that's important. They would have been made in different thicknesses to get the hatch door gaps around the door to comply with the factory specs and to get the door catch to freely lock. So if your door is not fitting right, it probably needs those shims, should be easy to knock some up after you calculate the adjustment required, then select some steel the same thickness

post-1958-144023669388_thumb.jpg

post-1958-144023669392_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your positive testimonial Steve

Folks, making of the Hinge Boots will be suspended for a while, I'm planning and organizing a move from my present city location to a rural area and need to concentrate on that till I get set up again to continue making boots plus doing some long overdue work on my Zed. One main problem I must sort out after moving is getting back on line because there's only satellite coverage where I'm going and that means paying for installation so I will be off line altogether in about 1 1/2 months time then back on line about a month after that

After I move and settle in, I'll get stuck into making more boots and those other rubber parts as requested in earlier posts

Pete

• 4 months later...

Folks

Refrain from using Methylated Spirits to clean the hinge boots, testing it has shown that it can spoil the surface of the rubber

If you received the Fitting instruction guide paper with your boots, cross out "Methylated Spirits" as a cleaning agent .... use one of the other cleaning agents as described in the Guide

Thanks - Pete

• 2 years later...

They are only for the 2 seaters (240/260)

They where never a item part made for the *2+2 hatch as the roof design is different

Cheers

Exactly right as I bought a set for my 2+2 and wouldn't fit. I returned them and money was refunded. Top guy to deal with. 8)

Gav, I've stopped making the boots. An air cavity problem has developed in the moulding process that needs

eliminating before I go any further with them. Up until now I've been able to fix any problems fairly quickly

and successfully but this latest problem has me really scratching my head. The cavity is appearing in one spot

in one of the boots every time and I only have a vague idea what's causing it. I'm work on it but for the time

being I've ceased production while I sort it out

The moulding process is more complicated than that youtube because these boot moulds have seven segments

neatly fitting together like an old Roman stone wall. It would be impossible to remove the casting (boot) with any

less pieces than that, as I found out to my horror when I first began making the boots, lots of rubber

was consumed getting the mould design right

I'm definitely not selling these boots for 2+2s, I'll tell everyone now and I changed the ebay listing to include "Not for 2+2s" after a refund or two. I

wasn't sure and paid the penalty even though the original listing stated: "May fit other Zs" .... Obviously that wasn't

accurate enough

Pete

• Administrators

Thanks for the info Pete, with the $AUD vs $USD on the fritz local options are the best! Also your price is more than fair compared to wha I've seen on eBay at $130 USD +.

If you make more in future I'll take 2 sets (1 for each Z).

• 4 months later...