123 replies to this topic

#1 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Wasn't someone making some of these, I can't seem to find the topic anywhere?

#2 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

The topic is "Sydney 240 fan" in Introductions mossy

It's me who is making the rubber boots and I've nearly finished the right side mould, about another day and it'll be done, then I'll start on the left side mould

I'll post when they're finished, I've got the list of people on here who want a set and for the time being they will be made exclusively for those members and any other member here who orders a set....the reason being is that I can't mass produce them like sausages out of a sausage machine, I can only make one set a day or one set every other day if you know what I mean

#3 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for that,  I'm in the first batch so looking forward to the finished product!

#4 Z

Z

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hey Zedsabbath,
Could you put me down for a set too, I'll be sorting out the whole hatch area over the next month so keen to see the final product as well.

#5 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

Yes just added you to the list Z

I keep forgetting to sign off as "Pete", must remember that from now on

A timeline for finishing the left mould would be about a month, maybe a little more, the right side one which took nearly 2 months, working on it an hour a night, but since I've gained the experience from making that one, the left mould will get done quicker

I'll be testing the right mould soon, then after I've inspected the first boot and tried it in my 240 for fit I'll post some photos

12 years has elapsed since I last made rubbers and metal castings, had to dig deep to remember a few tricks but they came back

With hinge boots there's a little preparation to do before you fit them, I'll post about that too but you can either fit them right or make a mess of it....one thing that needs looking at first up is the square openings the boots fit into, they must be free of burrs and corners of ill fitting panels, one of mine was like that so out came the file! filed it off 

Pete

#6 Z

Z

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

And here I was thinking it would just be a simple matter of pushing the rubber over the hinges! Nothing is as simple as it seems on these Z's sometimes - look forward to the tutorial Pete.
Casey

#7 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

can't believe I missed this - I have been looking for a supplier/set for over 10 years now :( my were missing after the cars first rebuild (PO could not find a supplier I would guess) and I took my car of the road 13 years ago - and I have been looking on an off for all that time.

#8 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

+ 1 when you have them just PM ;D

#9 Kent

Kent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Can i get a set too?

much appreciated

Kent

#10 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

Kent I'll put you on the list, I've finished the drivers side mould but there's been a delay in testing it because a digital scales I bought for weighing the liquid turned out to be a dudd so ordering another one this weekend...I can keep going though, starting to make the passengers side mould this weekend also

I used to use a set of kitchen scales years back, still got them but they're not accurate anymore so trying latest technology now...when I finally get a good digital one that is, the woes of buying cheap stuff, putting in a few more dollars this time to buy something decent

Pete

#11 Kent

Kent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Pete,

i am in no hurry :)

#12 V8Datto

V8Datto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hey pete, put me down for a set of hinge rubbers if you can, (240z)

thanks

#13 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Got you down Datto, you're on the list....I managed to buy a decent digital scales today, visited all the retailers around here, Good Guys, Bing Lee etc but Big W had the only scales that fitted the bill...luckily the display one had batteries in it, I had a standard weight in my pocket and was able to test the scales accuracy, it was spot on....got a beautiful chrome base too, shaped in such a way it could almost be used in the Zed with a digital clock fitted

Gotta watch those other retailers though, some of their goods including their scales are way over priced...allowing for haggling I suppose but if customers are silly enough to pay the $70 to $100 for a small set of scales jazzed up with a bit of stainless steel, good luck to them

If all goes well I'll be pouring in the mould tomorrow, I'll post how it works out, these moulds are the most complex ones I've attempted yet, the only way I could plan them for easy separation from the finished rubber part was to make them in 5 parts, each mould

Pete

#14 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

im not really in the market for a set at the moment, but if you have someone pull out and have a set you need to move, pm me and i'll organise some cash.

If you end up doing a batch later on down the track, i'll be keen as then.
the bills have killed me lately.

#15 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

No worries nizm0zed

Pete

#16 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Well fun & games last Sun, as promised I'm posting how pouring of hinge boot mould went, long story short the mould needs modifying to prevent tearing of newly cured rubber, but boot looked spectacular however it wasn't quite complete which means an improved pouring hole (sprue) is required also....it's coming along, I'm pretty excited about yet another Datsun rubber (set in this case) about to become reality

Pete

#17 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Excellent - I am pleased there are people out there like your self with the knowledge and ability to help get a NLA part available again. I am sure you could sell many on ebay to guys in the USA too.

#18 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

And to think that I started out just making a set for own Zed, I was prepared to go to all the trouble of making a set of moulds for my two boots only 'cause they're holding me up from finishing the rear part of the car, I want to get the hatch door on and then move on to other things like doors and front guards, hope I get there!. The car has always been a long term project though

Pete

PS in some months to come I'll start a project thread in Project forum, gotta clean up garage first for good pics

#19 Zedsabbath

Zedsabbath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

Up date on progress of hinge boots....

Modification to first mould is finished, works fine and I've actually made 3 boots so far but all have
defects of one sort or another, that's not unusual for first 2 or 3, the only remaining problematic issue
is the pouring technique...manually pouring is causing unacceptable air bubbles so I'm going to try pressure
injection using a simple throwaway plastic syringe...no rude comments now

I placed the least defective boot in the car and it fits perfectly, so I'm happy about that

The second mould has been started

Pete

• gav240z likes this

#20 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Nice one Pete, looking forward to the finished product!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users