Uploaded with ImageShack.us

28657101502001315704716.jpg

28657101502001315404716.jpg

28657101502001315354716.jpg

• Moderators

Sorry, cant get my head around that grey dash colour....something has to be done about that..

I'm thinking Lurch is waiting for it to pop up in the classifieds as a "unfinished project, just needs paint".

• Moderators

If those carbs that are on the L26 are those horrid 260 "Flat top" Hitatchi's, do them a favour and get some cash from the metal recyclers...unless you have a boat and need an anchor?

Flat tops are disliked because they were made for US smog laws, but I think all SU's are generally troublesome.  Up to you, but they are still credible for everyday use.  You should seriously consider for now tuning the L26 and getting the bell tops and then spend big elsewhere.  I have an auto bus with SU's and L26 and left a fat and heavy racer boy FG ute at the lights today.  Its not fast but it still moves and more enjoyable than a RB.  There are probably 100 things I would like to do before thinking about going down that path.

And from high end performance perspective a '70 240z with L24 was (if I recall correctly) 3 seconds off the pace of Jim Richards GT3 at the Cootha hillclimb.  The L block isn't slow, it just needs attention. :)

Hey mate please try to fix your spelling and grammar a bit, your posts are quite hard to read!

Power steering is exxy, but can be done. RBZ260 has posted a lot of info on it already so just search it. It's not really necessary IMO but can be convenient.

aaaaannnd the l series just sounds that bit nicer than a RB. Thats just my opinion though

but then again the moor of you guys putting the RB motors in the s30,zeds the more spare l series motors floating around for me

I can recall seeing a s13 silvia on youtube with a turbo l28 on the dyno pulling 700 rwhp or there abouts

;D AHHHHH again L vs RB debate. i think we got a post on that.

interesting plans. prob too young for RB/SR conversion u either loose ur liscence, or kill yourself in it or somone else.

as for original steer is fine if u using original pizza cutter wheels and tyres.

but ask any of the guys with 17"x8" with 235 tyres and drive the car daily. it won't be fine.

u be sick of it within a week.

so running bigger wheels and tyres and driving it as a daily u will hate it.

dont forget most of the Z here aren't daily driven with exceptions of few.so driving it once a week without power steer makes no diff.

as for loos of feel from my experience is incorrect. made no diff except when u parking the car u can do it with one finger.

from memory aren't 260c/280c steering box and rear mount arangement? bit like the 280zx?

if thats the case it wont fit. cause if it was the case im sure almost every z would have that conversion.

now if the car was imaculate and had original engine etc... i prob be against doing mods etc... it be better to preserve it as original.

but if ain't ill just go wild. do what u want.

as for perfomance yeah u could clean up a FG ute that weighs almost more than a sedan with an L.

but even with RB20DET u can clean up the big brother FPV GT and the HSV monsters and still give u an average of 10L per 100km. like to see even a stock L give u that economy. 

btw tell ur boss to get his head out of the dark ages.  i bet u he drives a later model car with power steer, a/c and leather seats etc.... so if hes so tuff  why doesnt he drive his 1960 or 70s classic with no PS or A/C daily and not once a year. oh thats right hes a pussy. bird may poop on it.  ;D

anyway welcome.  ;D

Yeah but if you drop a FG ute at the lights with an RB you won't do it in style like the L - with exhaust fumes and noise.  ;D

It's a given that power steering will lose the feel of the road because the rate of the wheels returning to centre is decreased.  It's not that PS itself is a bad thing at all.  It is necessary for cars that were made and intended to use it.

Badly done PS not intended for the Z will be messy and expensive to fix.  So if you do go PS spend a bit and get it done professionally.  But most of these guys in the short wheelbase Z's really have nothing to complain about anyway, even with wide rims.

Better option to an RB will be a L28.  Cheaper and easy to install and you can get by the P plate restrictions and then maybe later add a turbo.  Porting, stroking, turboing, polishing, whatever to a L28 holds good value.

if any one has info on on performance mods for the l26

what is  is your Opinion on power steering  my boss called me a pussy

Whilst I can't comment on your level of pussyness, I'm a fan of power steering. 

It makes it viable to run bigger rubber without hernia operations, or the turtle head punching cotton, or the Cosby kids getting dopped off to the pool early, or laying chocy eggs etc  You get the picture.

On the subject of your pussyness, in my experience Bosses wouldn't know a pussy if it had all it's hair removed and waved a sign saying "Hi, I'm a pussy."  If you want to know, I suggest you ask an independant expert in pussy, your local police sergeant!!

... or are you too pussy  ;D

;D hahahahah maygZ u got me laughing my head off in front of 30odd ppl I work with. Gold

yeah won't go into debate l vs rb though my style is not smoking and suffocating the opposition but rear end squating and exhaust scraping while the front is lifted closer to the sky, and me waving bye bye.

Anyway for a p plater L is handfull as is.

Also light L mods are fairly easy and affordable.

Once u get more experience and dosh u will cross over to the dark side u will see.