9 replies to this topic

#1 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Just thought I should let you know that I received a "Bandwidth exceeded" message when trying to log on last night. Lasted for maybe one hour, at around 6.00 pm GMT.

#2 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

so did i

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

Yeah I noticed that and adjusted the server to allow this site to use more bandwidth per month. Our site traffic and bandwidth usage has been jumping up each month and we exceeded 25gig's of data transfer.

I didn't post a message about it, but looks like it's been posted now anyway. Just a reminder though, that hosting doesn't pay for itself and as the site has grown our hosting costs have gone up.

This month we received in excess of 31,000 + visits.

#4 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Wow.  Have you had the chance to look into the graph that shows how much is needed for the month for server costs, so people can donate till its full?

#5 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

When people attach pictures to their thread does this site host them?

If so why don't you encourage using a photo hosting site and just link the photos??

This may be a cost saving.

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

Wow.  Have you had the chance to look into the graph that shows how much is needed for the month for server costs, so people can donate till its full?

Just to clarify at this stage bandwidth usage isn't so much an issue. At least I do not know of a current limit with our plan. Rather the hosting service we use allows me to self manage the server. I had set it at 25GB of transfer for a month and this was fine, until last month.

We used to only use a few GB, however it's gradually gone up and I hadn't noticed. I've now set it to 40GB which fingers crossed should be good for a while.

When people attach pictures to their thread does this site host them?

If so why don't you encourage using a photo hosting site and just link the photos??

This may be a cost saving.

When people attach images that get thumbnails generated for them, yes we host them. Other larger images can often be hosted on another server like image sharing services.

I have considered only allowing hosted images by 3rd party services since this would save us lots of money. It could also save lots of headache and make migration to another forum software much easier. So it might be something I consider in future. The trade off is that it might be harder for first time posters to work out. So we would need a thread with specific instructions for them to follow or something similar.

#7 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have considered only allowing hosted images by 3rd party services since this would save us lots of money. It could also save lots of headache and make migration to another forum software much easier. So it might be something I consider in future. The trade off is that it might be harder for first time posters to work out. So we would need a thread with specific instructions for them to follow or something similar.

Hi Gav,

I rekon the 3rd party image hosting might be the way to go, it's nice to have the images hosted on the forum, but if we're currently not meeting donation requirements then external hosting may be a way to limit the shortfall.

The only PITA will be when people have to migrate images in their project threads from the ausZcar server to the external hosting site and then re-linking all their images.

Or maybe the solution is to have a giant Uncle Sam like picture (substitute Uncle Sam with Lurch) with "ausZcar wants you're money!!!" pop up when people log in  :D ha!

Cheers mate.

#8 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

The only PITA will be when people have to migrate images in their project threads from the ausZcar server to the external hosting site and then re-linking all their images.

not if you've always used a photo hosting site. ;)

#9 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Ha, yeah, I've done that with my photos, but there are still a lot of images that will have to be transferred from other build and general threads.

#10 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hi Gav,

I rekon the 3rd party image hosting might be the way to go, it's nice to have the images hosted on the forum, but if we're currently not meeting donation requirements then external hosting may be a way to limit the shortfall.

>> The current hosting is sufficient or now, I don't know of any existing bandwidth limit with our current plan. Rather the account was configured to have a cap of 25gb which was fine up until recently. As I mentioned I've adjusted it to 40gb, which should be fine for a while.

I wouldn't make people manually change this, I'd have to find a solution. Either plugging into a 3rd party API service such as Flickr, Google Picasa or similar or something along those lines.

Or maybe the solution is to have a giant Uncle Sam like picture (substitute Uncle Sam with Lurch) with "ausZcar wants you're money!!!" pop up when people log in  :D ha!

Cheers mate.

It could work, you never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users