Tracking Down my Dad's XJ6

stevo_gj

Hey guys,

I figured you guys like car stories. Well this is the beginning of one.

My father passed away when I was 13, well before I was interested in cars. Recently I had been thinking about my next car (still going to keep the Z don't worry) and I realised that my Dad had owned a beautiful white XJ6 in the early 90s. He sold the car when I was little and I can only vaguely remember it so I dived into our old boxes of photos and found these:

dadsjag4.jpg

dadsjag3.jpg

dadsjag2.jpg

dadsjag1.jpg

I've decided that I'm going to find his car and if the owners are interested in selling, buy it from them. I've sent emails to the Jag club of Qld in hope that they may know the car and point me in the right direction. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like you need a service like carjam here in NZ. This is service were you put in the cars rego and it will tell you history of that rego number, there is a free service part that tells you the basics and then the paid service which will give you owners history and contact details.

This used to be done by the post office (were you used to do the rego) you filled out a form paid your money and got the report. This is how I found the owner of the plate I now have on my 260z. I purchased the trailer the plate was on from the owner then converted the plate to a personalised plate so I could put it on the zed.

So do you guys have something like that in Oz?

if you want to check out carjam.co.nz just put in a rego number and get a feel what it does. Hint our Personalised plate reasonable open so try 240z, 24oz, 260z etc - I am sure you will find my zed ;)

FWIW Steve it's a S2 Long Wheel Base (LWB) & a factory Manual to boot! Quite rare!

Hopefully it wont be too hard to find...

BRILLIANT thanks Lurch! That will narrow my search significantly!

Sounds like you need a service like carjam here in NZ. This is service were you put in the cars rego and it will tell you history of that rego number, there is a free service part that tells you the basics and then the paid service which will give you owners history and contact details.

This used to be done by the post office (were you used to do the rego) you filled out a form paid you money and got the report. This is how I found the owner of the plate I know of my 260z. I purchased the trailer the plate was on form the owner then converted the plate to a personalised plate so I could put it on a car.

So do you guys have something like that in Oz?

if you want to check out carjam.co.nz just put in a rego number and get a feel what it does. Hint our Personalised plate reasonable open so try 240z, 24oz, 260z etc - I am sure you will find my zed ;)

Google hasn't turned up anything  except a joke website 'number plate seek' got my hopes up on that one heh. Isn't that kind of information supposed to be private?

Loui I wish I could! These are the only photos I've been able to find :(

It's either 979-OKO or 979-OKQ

Just spoke with the original owner (old freind my dad bought the car from) and he told me that he purchased it in England (he thinks in 1973) and brought it over himself. Lurch was right it is a factory manual.

does the original owner have any pics?? any old rego letters or anything?? was he part of a club back in the day??

He says he'll track down what he can, but he lost a bunch of his old things when he moved a decade ago so I'm not expecting too much. He wasn't a member of the club but I'm crossing my fingers that the current owners will be

Perhaps, I'll have to see if I can purchase that information (legitimately) from the transport department.

Edit:

Just called Qld Transport and they were most unhelpful. They said only the previous registered owner of the car may track it down, and when I said he had passed away they said there was nothing they could do for me...However upon finding the form they referred me to (while saying it wouldn't be of any use to me) there is in fact provision for the representative of a deceased operator to fill it out.

Anyway I've attached the form for future reference.

15933_826823ad3ad34ac4f38efb4b8d5d74b8b751f8d6.pdf

Sounds like Qld Transport are about as well organised as Vicroads.  In which case, if you don't like any of the answers you get, hang up and redial... the next person you get will give you a different answer.  Rinse, repeat, until you get an answer you like  ;D

Good luck with the search... sounds like it may have gone interstate?

• Moderators

Sounds like Qld Transport are about as well organised as Vicroads.  In which case, if you don't like any of the answers you get, hang up and redial... the next person you get will give you a different answer.  Rinse, repeat, until you get an answer you like  ;D

Very wise words there... I did that and I can say it does work!

Try contacting other interstate clubs (sorry if its been mentioned already...) they could know.

There is a way to check when buying if the vehicle has been in a major ding or been written off, plus registration changes. It may give you some more data and narrow down the search.

Try the checkitout website. Costs $30 to $50.

https://www.checkitout.com.au/index.php?action=page&name=information_vcheck

If your old mate can remember the UK rego number, you might be able to find the VIN on one of the UK websites for about 20-30 quid but I don't know how far back electronic records have been made for. And if the rego number went back into circulation it will be for another VIN.

http://www.ukvehiclecheck.com/

Lastly, did the old mate buy the car himself from a UK dealer? Some of those old UK Jag dealers are still operating. Call and get the VIN by giving the original buyers name, address and date of purchase. Or get old mate to make the call. He can make a nice story like...oh my goodness my treasure has been stolen, and I have lost the old papers. I'm trying to find the VIN for my old Jag........It's a long shot but you would be amazed what data some companies actually keep.

The tip about ringing the DOT and just keep ringing until you get the answer you like goes for all government offices. Including the ATO.

Insurance companies keep all the data your looking for. Know anyone?

Good luck.

Steve, why dont you go to the police department, and request for owner details. You will need the rego plate, and fill out a stat dec as to why you want the details, and you can get all the details on the car and owners. You the take this information form from the police and front q transport. You do this system for hit and runs etc etc. so you can get the details if you give a good enough cause.

Ah yeah thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't have the rego plate that it's currently using.

I'll try out the insurance and UK Chassis number (didn't have VINs in the 70s did they?) too thanks Scott.

Oh, but don't I need a legal reason for requesting the current details from the police?

Edit: I think I see what you're implying, not sure if I could convince them I have a legit reason and I'm hesitant to lie to them on a signed document.

just tell them you want to find the current owner of the vehicle as it is of sentimental value and you wish the get it back into the family. I don't see any lying there. It's up to the police on wether they give you permission to gain the information, under any grounds you claim to need the information. If that just made any sense..  haha.