#21 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Some very good points raised.
OK, seems like I will stay with Shannons.
The last thing you want is to get screwed over if you DO need to claim.

#22 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

dont like what im reading........

#23 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Right. Think I might just run with Lumley's insurance for the next 12 months & then switch over to Shannons (& get the Zed appraised for agreed value at the same time).

#24 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Have to agree with the comments abouts Shannons.  In the auto trade, and work closely with a panel beater, and we find that when our customers have to make a claim, Shannons are always the most painless to deal with out of any of the companies - they'll basically just pay up when they've been told how much.  Very rare to get bad feedback from someone who's actually had to make a claim through Shannons.

The experience of dealing with other companies range from 'usually not too bad' to 'my ears are bleeding with rage', and that is experienced both by the car owner, and the panel shop....  I have been told previously that some company allowed $25 an hour labour charge - which is about what it costs the shop to employ their worker, let alone other running costs and actually making any money to eat at the end of the day.

Can't speak specifically for Lumleys/Vigil, the only case I can remember where I've known them to be the insurer (Vigil) was one where someone set fire to a fence, and burned up two of a friends cars (late model stuff).  Both were well and truly written off, so it was fairly straightforward.  However, I think they took some time to pay, and there was no option to buy the cars back without going to auction (not that there was much worth getting).

Which, Lurch, I assume (hope) that is one of the 'options' you have included?  With Shannons, its a given, no problem at all you have first option on the car if its written off.

#25 Quandary

Quandary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I applied for a quote with LSV online and later over the phone and they still haven't got back to me.  And my quote with Shannons is at $537 a year for a limited use vehicle.  :-\  I think some of that money would be better off on an anti theft device.

#26 marc280

marc280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

I've just had my 280zx insured with Lumley and based on price there is no comparison to the other 'specialty' insurers out there...  The policy I have with Lumley cost a quater of the quote from Shannons and the insured value is $5000 more!

#27 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

On the subject of insurance, as others have stated here , it is not until you have a claim that the real "cost" of insurance is made obvious.

I have heard many horror stories from those claiming on LSV policies and whilst Shannons may be more exy I can vouch for the fact that they pay up no questions asked.
Having had three claims on my MX5 (two at fault......hmmm talk to my wife) and one with my Zed in the last two years , they paid up no questions asked and I choose the repairer.
I swapped my house insurance over to Shannons a few months back and I recently submitted a claim for flood damage to my office and garage from the downpour we copped in early Feb and again they paid up without an assessor having to come out ..............I just sent in photos of the flood and the damaged  office contents and they paid up no questions asked ............and by cheque not by a store credit as most insurances do now.
My previous household policy would not have paid out a cent as the flood was caused by an overflow of a  storm water drain !!

So in short I have had cheaper quotes from LSV however I will stick with Shannons........the extra $$ in premiums are well worth it when it comes to paying out on claims.

Alan

#28 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

I am with LSV, great policy/features and incredible price, but no I haven't had to claim.

Shannons on the other hand I will never deal with, EVER! I am sure they give a good service, but they treated me like a 13 year old school boy, and have lost a customer for life (one that has kept his car fully insured/registered even though it has spent the last year off the road, and probably the next 10) and hopefully every potential customer that will listen to me.

I said I had a 260z 2+2 that I wanted to insure for 15k and they just laughed at me (wouldn't even listen to what was actually done/modified to the car). The guy then went on to explain that he was a huge NISSAN fan and new everything about NISSANs and that because my car was a 2+2 that my car wasn't worth more then 4k (My computer cost more). He essentially called it a bastard son that no one wants, I think his actual words were "people generally only buy those for parts".

His justification was that his mate had just picked up a 260z 2 seater that needed a bit of work for 6k (At the time my car was a L28ET, with Motec M600, brakes, rust repaired, painted, wheels, etc, I.E. Better condition then it now sits). AH, it still infuriates me.

Not to mention after all that he said that if I was to opt for a 8k valuation (which he didn't think my car was worth) that it would cost me 2k a year.

So end of the day, I will take my chances with LSV over Shannons any day of the year. At least they were interested in what I was passionate about, wanted to know all the details/pictures I could give them and were willing to give me what ever price I wanted for my car.

#29 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

Funny how the worm turns, I pulled my S15 and 260Z 2+2 away from LSV as they phoned me after 10 years of having both cars insured with them and said they would not continue to insure my S15. I have had no accidents or any claims on either vehicle for the duration. When I said I will take the 260Z away from them as well they then decided they would insure my car (S15) but the premium was not even near competitive.
I then re-insured both cars with Shannons much cheaper premium for the S15 and I insured the 260Z 2+2 for $15K I did send them pics though.
Lynton

#30 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

heya fellas, first post :)

i just got my 260 insured with shannons... p plater with 1 at fault accident 2 years ago, an agreed value of $15k with all my mods listed for $228.01 on club plates. i'm pretty happy with that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users