Lumley Special Vehicles

http://www.lsvinsurance.com.au/

I recently had the 240Z insured through LSV - as they blew the Shannons quote out of the water...

I'm over 25yo, with a clean driving history.

Shannons quoted me $270pa, car valued at $12,000 with all the options.

LSV came back with agreed value of $23,000 (I wanted an agreed value over 20k) with all the options,

for... $150pa(!)

Highly recommended!

That is cheap

Here in NZ once a car is 40 years old it can be registered as vintage and the rego each year is much less so maybe Lurch's early girl gets a sim deal from the insurance companies as it is now 40 years old

Shannons just only today valued my 260z at $12k.  A bit odd they valued your 240z the same, was it inspected or just an on the spot / by the book estimate?  Definitely going to check out these LSV guys, already applied for a quote online. :)

Mine was just an on the spot thing with Shannons.

Generally speaking, Shannons go off the purchase price for the agreed value. If you want a larger agreed value, they want to inspect it in person.

Until 2007, I would have agreed with you. However, I had a flood damage claim with LSV in December 2007 (if you recall the Melbourne storms on December 19 I think it was) and I had 7 cars in storage semi under ground. End result - the water came half way up the doors. It is now (almost) June 2010 and the claim has still not been resolved, and I have just informed them that I am going to take the issue to the Financial Ombudsman Service. So, I would be very careful about buying insurance on price alone.

Interesting, I had my S15 insured with Vigil before LSV took them over and after 9 years and no accidents (I also have my 260Z insured with them as well) then just out of the blue they would not insure the S15 as it was not the type of car they wanted to be associated with were the words I was quoted!!

So now I have insured the S15 with Shannons no problems and in November when my insurance comes up for renewal on the 260Z that is where I will insure the 260Z also and I am an older guy.

I can't fathom it, LSV gets no points from me? Lynton :o

I was also with Vigil before Lumley's took them over. Talking about values, I recall (when it was Vigil) I wanted to insure my recently restored 1955 Mercedes 300b. I requested a value of $65,000 and they responded by saying they would insure it for $40,000. I responded that it would be a shame to lose all the other vehicles because of one, and they promptly changed their mind and gave me the valuation requested.

Lumley?

#*%&@(%@(*  %(#@^%)$#    @^)($#@_()@%    (@)$#%*@$#^    (*)$#^(^$)

%$*#(@    %$(#@)($#@_    >:(  >:(  >:(

im sure aegean can explain more.

i rather walk than deal with them.

Don't mean to make you nervous - I can only relay my experience. To take it one step further, I emailed my Lumley contact for the unresolved claim early last week, with a follow up late in the week, and another yesterday following my intention to take it to the Financial Services Ombudsman - in the hope that they would see sense and take some action, and, guess what - no reply ! Now I can't say for sure that the guy is there, but you would think that if he were out of the office on a course, or whatever, that they would have an automated system that replies with an out of office message. I will be calling them tomorrow.

Right. Think I might just run with Lumley's insurance for the next 12 months & then switch over to Shannons (& get the Zed appraised for agreed value at the same time).

Have to agree with the comments abouts Shannons.  In the auto trade, and work closely with a panel beater, and we find that when our customers have to make a claim, Shannons are always the most painless to deal with out of any of the companies - they'll basically just pay up when they've been told how much.  Very rare to get bad feedback from someone who's actually had to make a claim through Shannons.

The experience of dealing with other companies range from 'usually not too bad' to 'my ears are bleeding with rage', and that is experienced both by the car owner, and the panel shop....  I have been told previously that some company allowed $25 an hour labour charge - which is about what it costs the shop to employ their worker, let alone other running costs and actually making any money to eat at the end of the day.

Can't speak specifically for Lumleys/Vigil, the only case I can remember where I've known them to be the insurer (Vigil) was one where someone set fire to a fence, and burned up two of a friends cars (late model stuff).  Both were well and truly written off, so it was fairly straightforward.  However, I think they took some time to pay, and there was no option to buy the cars back without going to auction (not that there was much worth getting).

Which, Lurch, I assume (hope) that is one of the 'options' you have included?  With Shannons, its a given, no problem at all you have first option on the car if its written off.

I applied for a quote with LSV online and later over the phone and they still haven't got back to me.  And my quote with Shannons is at $537 a year for a limited use vehicle.  :-\  I think some of that money would be better off on an anti theft device.