Photo

Ignition switch - replacement or recondition?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daalp1

Daalp1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hey fellas, just wanting to know my options with the ignition switch; currently when i want to start the 240 I have to turn the key fully around....then back little.....then a tiny bit forward and BROOM BROOM -it start to run. This is an annoying procedure so how do I fix this? Is there any NOS left?

Attached Thumbnails

• 598_.jpg

#2 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

With my 280zx it wont turn over if you push the key too far. theres a point just before the full turn, took a bit of getting used to, sounds like yours is a bit different to that though. dont know about fixing etc, but would be a relatively simple system. except those ignition thingies are as solid as.... well metal.

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,390 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hi Daalp, I often see these on ebay. I've seen some new ones from time to time.

Check out this link though for now http://search.ebay.c...=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Alternatively you could try a wreckers. I believe the ignition barrel is the same on many Datsun's including 120Y, 180B, 200B, 1600 (510) & 240z + 260z.

They are a bit of a bitch to remove though as they have rounded heads on the bolts for security reasons, so you'll need something to dig into the metal and hammer it around if you get what I mean.

#4 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

On 240Z's and 260Z's and a lot of other Datsuns of that period the electrical contact assembly that is 'turned' by the ign switch is actually a separate assembly held in the 'back' of the ign switch assembly by 2 small screws. If you look closely at some of the pics in that E-bay link you can actually see what I mean. So it's possible to separate the contact unit from the rest of the switch assembly without having to drill out screw threads, etc.

Unfortunately the contact unit is not available as a separate part from Nissan, but it's usually possible to find a good one at wreckers. Places like Pick-a-Part or Pick-Pay-and-Go are good for getting small parts like this. Look at things like 260C's or 180B's, etc, assuming there are no Z's available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users