Lurch

Lurch’s ‘Early Girl’ 240Z!

Couldnt you modify an existing rocker cover? (machine off the letters, then weld on some new ones cut by waterjet or dremel???)

If you need a CAD file I can arrange it (master Cad monkaey for last 10 years)

Excellent thread too, congratulations on the car aswell!

Can I ask what version Wolf 3d it is running? I have purchased a v4 plus, but need a base map on it to run my L24e (then turbo in the future)

Said it before and I'll say it again..bargain of the century! Well done Lurch...welcome to the "early girl" fleet!

Datpilot, if you need a map, if the V500 maps work, I can email you my map for a L24. Depnds though what ignition setup you are running..

the only issue i had changing to fender mirrors besides getting used to it for the first time when changing from a car without them - same as going from a car with indicators on the wrong side - was that its impossible to checkout anything that you've just driven by in them as the reflectioin is just to small for any real detail. But it includes heaps more in it so you never need to head check, as in a zed you hardly have to anyway

DatPilot, I may have made a typo - it's a Wolf V4.

I can send you a copy of the map if you like - but it is running a fair amount of full advance.....

Nice one...I seem to recall Lurch asking you the same thing when you made an enquiry about your ' early' 240Z........

Lurch re:rocker cover

did the PO change the cover or is it the one that come with the car?

y i ask is cause mine is 227 and i got the same cover as you. maybe the OZ had those while yanks had the 2400 one.

if not true ill be after one as well. LOL

I asked Rob at the Z Factory about those early 2400 rocker covers and almost 80% of the early zeds he has seen, only a select few had them..

Well the only early car I have seen with one on it was HS30-00016 when I had it - never seen another one here in NZ - and given the car is now in NSW I guess I never will (well apart from one 2400 ohc cover that I helped import on a business trip to the US for #352 rebuild)

Mine's an early one also.  I don't have an engine  :'(

Sorry I'm feeling left out.

Well not a lot happening with this atm - I'VE JUST BEEN DRIVING IT!!!

For the last few weeks however Mike (http://www.spyderautomobiles.com.au/) & myself have been trying to diagnose a full throttle/high RPM miss.

We'd gone through the setting on the Wolf ECU a few times & while 'tweaking' the maps improved running, it didn't totally get rid of the miss...

Back to square one & this evening Mike decided to check the fuel pressure to see if the pumps weren't keeping up, causing them to simply run out of juice.

We got a bit of a shock however when the gauge shot up to 3.2bar while the engine was running!

Looks like I'll be needing to get a FPR soon...

Next we checked to see if the new fuel filter were blocked - no dice, it was A-OK. Hrmmm...

Next the Ign. coil was swapped out for a good 2nd hand one Mike has under his bench, as the original one looked rather tired.

BINGO! I took it for a blast up the road & not even a hiccup!

It feels a lot more livelier now too, so the old coil had really seen better days...

And tonight (because I'm a lonely hermit) I spent an hour or so removing the centre console, cleaning out the half ton of cigarette ash from under it, cleaning the console & installing the new gear stick trim I got of Rev. Dave (as the old original was looking a bit sad).

Thanks heaps Dave!

A worthwhile improvement!

18062010325.jpg

18062010326.jpg

18062010328.jpg

Oh & how to fit a 260Z gearbox (later 71B) into a early 240Z without butchering the centre console?

Easy take to the shifter with an Oxy torch & put a few bends in it! :o

18062010323.jpg

Excellent work there! That pic should be copied to the gearbox section too...quite a few people have needed to see how it's done.

Yep, good idea Dimitri!

Annnnnnnnd a few gratuitous pics of the Zed out & about over the last few weeks...

15052010311-1.jpg

15052010312-1.jpg

P1020889.jpg

P1020886.jpg

P1020887.jpg

Cheers - the covers just take a bit of 'harshness' out of the old seats :)

The front 'spook' is one the Harry had made up in steel back in the 70's for it.

It wasn't on the Zed when I got it, but it seamed a shame not to have it fitted ;)

I learnt to drive in my families Mk3 Sprite...it wasnt a good look having a 6'3" string bean in a matchbox car..

I dont mind the XB-GT mirrors youve got there Lurch...(I can hear people cringing  ::))

If you look at the original photo's of the Zed, it's got two sets of mirrors on it - original chrome ones on the guards & smaller black ones on the doors:

09042010280.jpg

Sprites are fun cars - just not exactly comfortable for someone of my stature!

As can be seen in this photo (notice my head is ABOVE the roll bar :-\ )

prev88.jpg

Hehehe...last pic down at the bottom is of my old 260Z with the EFI! After the guy bought it he detuned the f$%^ out of it....go figure..

Not much to report on this at the moment, other than I recently fitted some Ferdo DS2500 brake pads (in preparation for the John Mott Sandown Sprint).

And I also fitted a 260Z 2+2 fuel tank, as I had to fit a secondary fuel sender (more on this later) & I didn't want to butcher the original 240Z tank.

Other than that, it running fantastically! :D

Ran at the John Mott sprint @ Sandown today, see here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6998.msg69860.html#new

And a pic of the Zed with 16x8" Simmons B45's with Kumho V70A rubber ;)

17072010350.jpg

I've also blown the manifold gasket around No1 exhaust port at the sprint today, so it suggests to me that the 2" system has too much back pressure.

After I fix the gasket & fit a Pod filter (to replace the 280ZX airbox that was on it) I'll get a nice, quiet, 2.5" system fitted.