Rear spoiler, opinions wanted

Riceburner

Hey Guys I'm after your opinions on what would look good as a rear spoiler for 240z's, I really like the IMSA 3piece fibreglass one  8)

I would color match it to my car, I have a large front air dam and no flares. I'm after something a little different to the standard 'ducktail' but don't want it to look like an SLR5000 (shudder!).

post-1489-144023572233_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023572236_thumb.jpg

Personally, I don't like those spoilers that wrap around the rear quarter panels on the zed.

I have the same 'ducktail' spoiler as you dont like but I think it's great. It's a BRE (??) style rear spoiler. Alfa Fiberglass sell a version of it but so do pretty much all places. I think it looks great with the aggressive front spoiler and no flares.

P1020093.jpg

P1020094.jpg

Haha, guess a zed can make anything look good.... I could fit a whale tail, it'd be a mobile work bench on race days.... could drill some holes to mount a vice on it  ;D hehe.

I don't mind the ducktail but just looking for something a little different.

The wheels came up well Whittie, look great!

Garath,

One of the guys in our group at Bathurst ran with a spoiler similar to the first couple listed here. Keep in mind you owuld need to put up with all the comments about your "RX7"!!!  Aside from that it looks like a natural fit for the zed.

G.

be aware of the additional parasitic drag caused by the big IMSA spoilers..............what you gain in down force to assist with rear tire adhesion and corning speed may be negated by added drag and sacrifice to the straight line speed.

From my own experience-some years back I tried one on my old 240z race car and found I was 5-7 kph slower down the straight at P.I with little difference in corner speeds (as opposed to no rear spoiler at all) ..........and up to 10kph with a stiff Southerly blowing (best times at P.I are usually set before the sea breeze kicks in) 

Unless you are running slicks and 300+ hp I would try the small "stock" rear spoiler (IMHO)

Anyone done any actual testing on this ?

Alan

Good point Simon ......Hush my mouth ......what was I thinking .....I should know better than to suggest any form of "testing" be performed on "performance" mods ::)  ;D

I did however test head light covers on my old race Zed and they improved top speed by almost 5 mph.........sorry to mention the word test. ;)

cheers

Alan

I did however test head light covers on my old race Zed and they improved top speed by almost 5 mph

Thats quite amazing, didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference.

I put them on my car so I don't have to stick tape on the glass and it looks cool  ;D

A Group C RX7 Bird bath spoiler looks good on a Z, I had one before I was pinged for it on my car ( was too big and not an optioned Nissan/Datsun spoiler as per the rules of the time). Unfortunately I can't find any photos of it with it on.

The spoiler actually worked too, there was plenty of downforce at the expense of about 100rpm in 4th gear down the main straight at EC. I could drive through turn 1 flat. The spoiler created a big low pressure area behind it that drageed the bum of the car down, as could be seen by the anount of grime that was sucked up onto the rear panels and the back of the spoiler.

When I went to the standard bobtail the downforce was a lot less, the first time round turn 1 at full noise was the last time it was done at full noise, only just got away with it.

Wasn't very practical as you had to tape over the joins to keep the three pieces aligned so it became a pain to have to open the hatch for any reason. A one piece may or may not be able to work as the sides of the bird bath extend up to halfway along the quarter windows on the hip line of the side of the body.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not really worried if it improves the handling of the car or slows me down, as long as it looks good.  ;D lol! Maybe my headlight covers will even out the spoiler drag?

I do like the black on white, same color as my car. I thought the 3piece might look better color matched like the front spoiler...

Yeah I looked at the sparrow tail in carbon fibre, but it reminded me of the whale tails.

Can someone explain what testing is????  :P

There is also the new "Victory" spoiler that MSA has started making.  It is very similar to the regular BRE-style spoiler but taller. 

Personally, I think it is too tall and is trying too hard....but still prefer it to some others I have seen around.

post-1856-144023572322_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023572774_thumb.jpg