Photo

Should new members have to introduce themselves?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mrp69

mrp69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Tagline:Peter

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

i think open the forum up to 350z and 370z owners so we can become an old school vs new school forum

this will increase fan base also new sign ups

your thoughts

peter

#2 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

i think open the forum up to 350z and 370z owners so we can become an old school vs new school forum

your thoughts

peter

Not a good idea..They have there own forum.

#3 Stivva

Stivva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Tagline:Hiroshima Screama

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Not a good idea..They have there own forum.

+ 1

I joined here because it was a dedicated early model forum

#4 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking of creating something that will hopefully encourage more people to join our community and go from browsers -> forum members.

How about we stop being d**ks and jumping down everyone's throat if they make a post before sending us a detailed bio of themselves including the colour of the undies they are currently wearing.

I don't think it's rude to post before making an 'introduction'. What are we, a dating service? Perhaps a country club?

If they want to introduce themselves, there's a section for that. If they don't want to be all chummy chummy, who cares?
Just trying to help  ;)

#5 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

How about we stop being d**ks and jumping down everyone's throat if they make a post before sending us a detailed bio of themselves including the colour of the undies they are currently wearing.

I don't think it's rude to post before making an 'introduction'. What are we, a dating service? Perhaps a country club?

If they want to introduce themselves, there's a section for that. If they don't want to be all chummy chummy, who cares?
Just trying to help  ;)

I think this is an important point. I don't agree with you but it should be discussed.

The way I see it we want new forum members to feel like they are part of a community as this will make them contribute as well as take information from the forum.

We want people to see the value that we see in being a regular forum member (regular being more than once a fortnight). I don't think we always jump down people's throats when they post a request for information. Normally I see a couple members helping and a couple others recommending that the person post in the introductions section as we are interested in them. I think this is a good thing because it is encouraging the sense of community. It makes sense that the more well known a member is on the forum the more people are going to be interested in helping them source parts or solve problems.

With this idea I don't think Gav is trying to increase the number of forum members who post here once or twice. He is trying to increase the number of forum members who see AUSZCAR as a community and want to be a part of it.

My 2c,

Steve

#6 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

Just trying to help  ;)

The thing with that is, there are rules that have to be followed and by doing that, shows no respect for the guidlines that are in place. Its almost the same thing as a gate crasher; would you wonder into someones house and join into someones or a group discussion? All of a sudden a stranger shows up and its good to know who they are.. I don't agree with giving them a hard time but to me the lack of respect shows what they think of everyone else.

#7 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

Its almost the same thing as a gate crasher; would you wonder into someones house and join into someones or a group discussion? All of a sudden a stranger shows up and its good to know who they are..

If they're at my party I wouldn't want them there if I didn't know them. They're on my property and likely to break something :)

That's the great thing about the internet though. The anonymity that it can bring. If someone wants to ask a question about something they can do so without disclosing anything about themselves. If I really wanted to go to a place where people will ask me lots of questions I'll go to a meet up or a car club etc (which I have and will do again). For those that don't really want that though, and all they want to know is "What's clearances do I need in my N42 valve guide", they'll post a question on a forum (or search it even!). I don't see why they should have to tell me where they are from, what cars they have or how old they were when they stopped wetting the bed.

If I feel like answering their Q, I will, if not I won't. No sweat off my back!

Of course the community should steer their own direction, I just don't see the need for the up front divulging of information which is not probably neither here nor there.
Other people  think differently for sure.

#8 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

Edit: Yeah I can see your point. I guess its up to Gav and he has made the rules so we should do our best to follow them.

#9 herrods

herrods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Its a tough one all rounds really.

I think that Kalium is right though, perhaps having a bit of ettiquette saying "Hi, I am so and so, own a such and such" @ the beginning of the post and hen continueing one.

We need to encourage a sense of open community, and to do that we need to encourage repeat visits AND welcome and helpful information for seldom users.  You never know, you could be flaming a guy who bought the 1972 240z brand new from showroom and has had it ever since, but has never owned a computer, and just needs that one little bit of information.

An open community does need regular members, but there should be no initiation/entry requirement statement.

as i said, a tough one to find good balance.

perhaps information should be more controlled?  You can stop someone from posting who is not a member, and you can delete a member's post, (speaking blind here) can you make it so that one has to post in the intro or general discussion area before being allowed access to post elsewhere?  freedom to read and search their little hearts out, but no posting until the intro post has been broken open?

#10 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

With a new members intro, we don't need to know all their details like account number and BSB's for my late uncles $48 million US dollars, just a name, where they're from and what they own for example. Its up to the new member how much info they want to disclose...

#11 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have to agree with Zedman240. it just good manner's.
As per the start Gav I am more than happy to post something about the site because it keeps me Sane. Well all most

With a new members intro, we don't need to know all their details like account number and BSB's for my late uncles $48 million US dollars, just a name, where they're from and what they own for example. Its up to the new member how much info they want to disclose...

#12 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

Just trying to help  ;)

I agree 100%.

#13 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

I agree 100%.

While I agree with your intent, keep in mind that it would be good to retain some sort of introduction requirement as it sorts the real enthusiasts from those just interested in taking advantage.

#14 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Yes. Remember this isn't Ozdat Craig :P
Oh & I still vote to keep this site/forum 100% S30/S130 exclusive :)

Gav - if you don't have someone in a couple of weeks, I might be able to help with your idea...

#15 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

your thoughts

peter

This has been discussed in the past and the general consensus has been that people like the close-community feel of the S30 / S130 series. I think done right the website could be expanded to cover the entire Z-car range, but there is a lot of work to do around that to ensure we keep our current community feel. Also this wasn't actually the idea behind what I'm trying to do with this current post.

hey gav

sounds good, as long as the members dont have mankini's on like hunter does  ;D ;D ;D

Loui

You never know, perhaps a photo of Hunter in his Mankini will encourage more people to join up :).

Just trying to help  ;)

Interesting feedback, although perhaps another topic for another thread. I agree that we need to be more patient with new people who register on the site and don't follow the introduction process (which is after all a recommendation as oppose to a rule). The only time it's a rule is when people register to flog something off (sell it), although I don't usually mind if it's an early 240z / 260z /280zx or parts that someone would otherwise throw away. It's when it's for something not quite related or a business trying to offload their goods. (In fact this really annoys me, it's just like spam).

As Herrods mentioned we could be flaming someone with a vast amount of knowledge who just registered. We could welcome them to the community and say, hey if you have 5 mins why don't you write a quick introduction and tell us a little more about yourself and your Z?

The idea behind this post was just to get a photo of a member with their pride and joy and a few words as to why they love being a member. The idea is to come up with a creative that replaces the homepage slideshow and encourages people to join the site and become active members.

If I can pull it off, the creative would only be seen by new visitors (say people who have only visited 10 times or less) and people who have never signed into the forum. It will be a way of saying, hey, we see you are new here. Why don't you join up and become a member.

My current feeling is that a lot of people "watch" the site for a while then register and I wonder if making a small change to the homepage would change that.

#16 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hey just another thought.

I know it would be nice to have the most popular forum in the world....but I kinda like the size we have. Its big enough that we can get useful discussion / information but small enough that we can still manage to read every post (or is that just me)

Look at Hybridz  Its a great forum but there is no way I can keep on top of all the posts. Ours is cosy :D    But I concede that there are other factors to consider.

#17 Quandary

Quandary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

Fine if you want an exclusively S30 forum.  But with the "exclusive" price of Zeds now you will find less members joining cos kids are not buying them.

I came here by word of mouth and out of interest of finding parts and 'how to' info and I guess also to talk to like minded people.  I had my first Z for years before I really knew of any online community.  But if I were a 350/370z owner and to a lesser extent a ZX owner, I would need another reason to be here cos there just isn't enough info or car parts and bits for sale.

And my time here hasn't been all that great for my needs.  It's hard to locate parts, even more so locally, when things get sold under my nose when I've first already stated I am intent on buying them and have even organised transportation for it.  No idea if this only happens to me though...

#18 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Time to do some Ninja editing Steve - you can split these OT posts into a new thread;)

#19 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

Perhaps there should be a mandatory template filled in by a 1st time member to be, where they join up and sign in with an introduction and an optional photo of  the car with mandatory fields filled in before being able to generally post on any other category on the forum? Lynton 8) Just my 2 cents worth??

#20 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Ok topics have been split. Feel free to continue discussing the introducing of new members here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users