774 replies to this topic

#761 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

Yep 1 metre of rain in 4 days is pretty solid.
Good to hear they made it through reasonably unscathed and Bub hung on till the storm was over.
Mother Nature is getting rough these days. It seems like it's one after the other that a catastrophic weather event is happening somewhere round the world.

#762 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Hi All

Just received the latest pics from Whittie taken a few days before the hurricane, still there due in about ten days.

2K3iaduh.jpg

Cheers

Dad

• andyk_79 likes this

#763 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Are you going to change from dad to grandpa? And is Whittie taking over the dad moniker?

Jeff

#764 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Are you going to change from dad to grandpa? And is Whittie taking over the dad moniker?

Jeff

Made my day!

Not sure. Need a new logo first, something like this comes to mind. Current Logo attached for reference

Attached Thumbnails

• Dadson.JPG
  • IMG_20170829_083137.jpg

Edited by Whittie, 06 September 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#765 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

Hi All

Team DADSON Racing has a new member she arrived a healthy 8lb2oz at 14:18 local Houston time Sept 9, Mother and Daughter doing well Dad and Grandad over the moon.

Mahqy1Sh.jpg

Cheers  Grandad

• PeterAllen, 260DET, andyk_79 and 1 other like this

#766 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZed Team Bonding

tsHsfayh.jpg

Cheers

Grandad

• PeterAllen and CBR Jeff like this

#767 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

Well done, all round

Have a read of this, you may be able to reestablish the Photobucket images:

http://www.viczcar.c...-party-hosting/

#768 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hi PeterAllen

Thanks for that it looks like a good fix but the time involved in identifying all the pics would be immense.

Whittie and I understand that the Photobucket free business model wasn't working for them and they had to introduce a paid model but the way they went about it in disconnecting all pics and demanding a $400.00pa subscription to reconnect them infuriated us and left us with three options, do nothing and hope things will change, pay the ransom or leave. 

We hung in for a while in the hope they would revert back to the old model but when it became clear that wasn't going to happen I decided that the only way I could show them how I felt was to remove all my albums which with the exception of Zed pics I did, Whittie removed all his soon after and closed the account so now there's nothing there to reconnect.

I'm currently using a different free hosting platform and Whittie is looking into setting up his own site.

Cheers

Grandad

#769 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Welcome Grandad!
Love it.

Jeff

#770 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

Welcome Grandad!
Love it.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'm loving it too, we're heading over there for Xmas so should be great, interestingly Whittie has requested I get an international drivers license and bring my CAMS one as well, he's not letting on but I get the feeling there's more than a family get together planned.

Hi All

The motor came out of the Zed last December for a bit of a tickle up and some head work I made the mistake of telling Tuss that with Whittie absent it wasn't urgent but that's now almost a year ago so there is a bit of pressure to get it going again so the motor should go back in tomorrow.

A few weeks ago I noticed a pool of fluid by the drivers side rear wheel which looked like brake fluid and a quick check of the master cylinders confirmed it, my first thought was that it was a bit weird as I clearly recall reconditioning the rear calipers not all that long ago, turns out not long ago was actually ten years ago.

This is the offending caliper

CHpTsWA.jpg

Here's the proof

t4uz0yS.jpg

This treatment wouldn't have helped

mTJwSMM.jpg

Fixed

Cx3ke6m.jpg

CMSEupL.jpg

The last time Whittie was here we did a couple of night events and had some trouble blowing fuses in the HID headlights with them ultimately dying at the night drags and Whittie driving home with parkers only, turns out the HID drivers died we suspect from over heating as they were mounted in the engine bay so we sourced a new set and I mounted them today on the opposite side of the inner guard so they are now under the guards just below the lights, hopefully that will fix them.

The original mounting point in the engine bay.

uMNJTw4.jpg

The new under guard mount.

l8WCP5W.jpg

Cheers

Grandad

#771 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Time to fix that brake bias. It's been so long since I bought the brake pedal kit that Jon Coffey (Beta Motorsports) has not only gone out of business but sadly passed away.

We've only used them in anger a handful of times too :(

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171018_191456.jpg

Edited by Whittie, 19 October 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#772 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:02 AM

Hi All

Well it's almost a year since the engine was removed for a tickle up and it's finally back in, that plywood box next to the car is a caravan build that has occupied my time for the last couple of years and is finally approaching completion, it has removed much of the urgency from the Zed.

Dzi5Ajnl.jpg

Not sure the colour matched block was intentional but it looks good.

dLZwikJl.jpg

These things look so good it's a real pity to have to protect them from the leaky Webers.

MmIrxWhl.jpg

8tGTdAwl.jpg

I'm on a roll the van can wait I need to hear this making it's crisp L28 noise again soon.

Cheers

Grandad

#773 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

Hi All

I'm being a bit self indulgent here but I'm really enjoying being a new first time Grandad and just received some pics of my new born grand daughter that clearly show some of the influences she will have in her life.

Will I be an equestrian?

ockOaRih.jpg

Will I do motorsport?

H1Ih9ILh.jpg

Hmm, horses and horsepower!

sAnXQcHh.jpg

Enough of my self indulgence, I had another break from the van today to focus on the Zed and fitted the carbies and ancillaries to get it going but from my experience last time of the oil pump/distributor drive being incorrectly installed I decided to check it before installing the radiator and sure enough with the crank on no1 tdc it was one tooth out so would have been delivering spark to no5 when it was required by no1 which is clearly not going to work.

Fortunately with good access it was relatively simple to drop the front sway bar to remove the oil pump and correctly position the drive.

up4iS1Rh.jpg

ieyyAZth.jpg

gSgFlabh.jpg

All that's left for tomorrow is to fit the exhaust and battery and fire it up.

sv4IggGh.jpg

When I removed the oil pump I noticed the oil galleys were filled with a white grease that looked and smelt like Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, I've never seen that before and considered to be odd so I removed what I could without taking the pump apart.

A google search revealed that it's an old school way of priming oil pumps in new dry engines to prevent cavitation and is actually recommended by some engine manufacturers, personally I prefer to crank the motor without load to get oil pressure before firing, looks like this time there will be a bit of both.

Cheers

Grandad

• CBR Jeff likes this

#774 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

Definitely old school but still relevant. I used to use STP on all my engines during assembly back when I was a mechanic in the late 70's and early 80's. Nice and tacky. Especially great in oil pumps. I still use it today on the rare occasion of engine assemblies.

David.

#775 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

Hi Enzo

We are clearly the same generation I remember STP only too well, in my youth when I was destroying FJ to FC Holdens at about the same rate as they were produced they all had STP added and as to prove STP's worth the engines all outlasted the cars.

Let's not forget the STP acronyms.

Still Thoroughly Pissed.  There was a period in my life that applied.

Stamp Out Teenage Pregnancy.  A few of my friends tripped up on that one.

I find it rather curious that STP still exists in our current hi tech world.

Hi All

Not being familiar with the Vaseline option I decided to crank the engine with spark plugs removed until I achieved oil pressure and as expected the engine spun noticeably faster once everything was fully lubricated.

I was now ready to fire it up but unknowingly the damage was already done, I hadn't drained the year old fuel and the carbies were now full of it and the engine wouldn't fire even with half a can of Start Ya Bastard, that stuff is so appropriately named.

I eventually decided to pump the tank dry and replace the fuel but not wanting to remove the carbies I removed the tops and sucked all the fuel out of the bowls, that possibly left some in the accelerator pump chambers but I decided that it would clear with a few stabs of the accelerator pedal.

With basically a brand new engine I decided to back the timing of a touch so not to overly stress the engine on fire up, but because I haven't played with this thing for so long I had completely forgotten that to allow for hi comp engines the MSD Digital Ignition System automatically retards the spark on start up so it effectively had double retard and that's before you include me.

After a few days of flattening and recharging the battery, walking away for sanity sake, calling out the name of the product that didn't want to work, I finally twigged and set the timing back to normal, next try was met with a huge backfire which I took as a sign of success with unburnt fuel being cleared from the exhaust, next try was successful and oh what a beautiful noise.

I have always considered the 98ron fuel we use to have a green tinge to it so I was shocked to see the color of the syrup that came out of the tank, for comparison I later put some fresh fuel in the same container for comparison.

BYRvjcQh.jpg

9LFV6Sfh.jpg

Syringe to the rescue.

yH3iOgTh.jpg

OJbXushh.jpg

ZLMYxv8h.jpg

Hopefully I won't get caught with old fuel again.

Cheers

Grandad

Edited by Grandad, 10 November 2017 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users