Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:11 PM

Hi All

Well the cross member has been sitting on my desk since late July so I figured it should be well and truly cured by now also it's about time to fit it and give the Zed a run not only because it hasn't turned a wheel since January but I have a few fillings I need to check are secure.

Following my experience killing the last battery with kindness by unwittingly using a maintenance charger that didn't turn off I connected a new charger but when I recently checked it I found it's been set to charge 6 volts instead of 12 and the battery was down to 1.5, as expected the charger reset to 12 volts wouldn't look at it so I removed it and connected it up to my deep cycle caravan solar batteries that are on a separate charger and 24 hours later it was up to 13.5 volts, I have left it standing for over a week and it is still reading 13 volts so I think it's going to be ok, I'll be sure to check that the charger is set to 12 volts in future.

P2014966_zpsg11oqygi.jpg

P2014965_zps700lwyqq.jpg

P2014991_zps0emrdkhs.jpg

The local Zed group are having their annual get together this weekend so that's a perfectly good reason to get it mobile again.

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 11 October 2016 - 11:12 PM.

#742 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:54 PM

Hi All

In preparation for Sunday's event I decided to blow the cobwebs out of the Zed today, it's something that over a lifetime I've done lots of times to a range of vehicles with outstanding results however this is the first time I've done it with a banister brush and air compressor.

P2015033_zpsktfazyrf.jpg

The Zed hasn't turned a wheel since last December so it's current cozy storage position out of the weather has attracted plenty of spiders, now while I'm not arachnophobic I'm not particularly fond of the black and red ones that frequent this place so as I had work to do under the Zed, I decided they all had to go.

I attempted to fit the rear cross member today and soon realized that if I'd been concentrating on the job I would have test fitted it before it went to the powder coater but as I'm currently distracted with another project it didn't happen so today I had to trim it to fit which was easy enough with an angle grinder and a can of black paint then it lined up perfectly.

P2015035_zpspwmublgo.jpg

P2015037_zps0w0e2u7x.jpg

It's sitting in position nicely with plenty of clearance so tomorrow I'll fit the battery, fire it up and go for a blast.

P2015040_zps3dh733y6.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 12 October 2016 - 11:57 PM.

#743 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hi All

Battery's in and it's going once again and I'm happy to report that there's no extra noticeable vibration with the solid mount.

The local Zed register day was today and the standard of the cars on display is the highest I've seen in twelve years of attending, it appears people are finally taking Zed cars seriously and doing quality rebuilds anyway it was Whittie's day today which is sure to give him a huge smile and a well deserved feeling of achievement and pride.

P1015058_zpsgjbvrgva.jpg

P1015059_zpsjirixms7.jpg

P1015057_zpssacvjxor.jpg

P1015060_zpsgvgblvl9.jpg

P1015062_zpsem8qxa1v.jpg

P1015063_zpsu6igihen.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 16 October 2016 - 11:46 PM.

• GongZ likes this

#744 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hi All

Dad Racing doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Dadson Racing so other than when Whittie was home last December I haven't done any motorsport in the Zed since he left for the US and the car spent most of this year on jack stands with no rear cross member in it but with a two day historic event at Wanneroo this weekend featuring F5000s, that's all changing.

https://www.wascc.co...ssic-Poster.jpg

I know from last time I had the rotors machined that the rears are getting a bit thin and Whittie cooked them at one event with a bit too much rear bias.

_MG_5968_zpsa333b74a.jpg

There have been small cracks appearing for some time so in fear of them exploding I decided to replace them and once removed I measured them, minimum recommended width is 9.4 and the worst rotor measured 8.4, clearly not up to a two day event.

P2015066_zpsey1fwteq.jpg

P2015073_zpsgm8gjeoo.jpg

P2015071_zpsk1tfkgvd.jpg

Good to go.

P2015074_zpshtl9ok0m.jpg

Off to the track tomorrow for set up and scrutiny then two great days of competition and F5000s I haven't seen for years, I can't wait.

Cheers

Dad

#745 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

Hi All

The event was great I had intended to get some incar vid but on the first day I forgot the tripod and on the second I forgot the mounting plate, clearly I'm out of practice so I've been waiting on pics from the track side photographer which have just arrived.

Although way off its best through a combination of out of practice driver Dad and sad old tyres I had a great event including some spirited side by side no touch action with an e-type that has to go down as the most fun I've ever had on a race track, I cant remember ever getting out of a car trembling the way I was at the end of that event, it was that good, we were parked next to one another in the car port and after the event we both had the biggest stupid grins on our faces like little boys who had just been naughty, the other driver said "I don't care if we're called to the stewards and sent home, that was worth it", even Whittie's mum was excited and thought it was fantastic, we weren't called up.

The e-type is a father/son team like us although in there case they are a little older, the father sadly can no longer get down into the car but goes to all the events and attends to the maintenance issues that son causes, father was interested in what improvements we've done to the Zed and went on to say that when the Zeds were new they called them e-type beaters, I suspect that in the day what they called them was something much stronger than that.

P1015083_zpsp9inpyzc.jpg

DSC_8238_zps7s2obn0f.jpg

DSC_0016_zpszwxtfprp.jpg

DSC_0162_zps7k2hmbct.jpg

DSC_8275_zpsv7q0tuj4.jpg

DSC_8244_zpsyks8igqd.jpg

DSC_8191_zpsyzip5tjh.jpg

The run with the e-type was my first of two runs on Sunday and with the tyres on their last legs the Zed was getting plenty of over steer so I was feeling more than a little apprehensive about a second run with the e-type but there was no way I wasn't going back out so I went out on the warm up lap and knew I had to get some heat into the sad old tyres to soften them up and get some grip, I could feel them coming to life but the left rear was unresponsive and not remotely close to where I needed it to be given that Wanneroo is a clockwise circuit that's the side that really takes a punishing, feeling disappointed and battling a bit of red mist I peeled off into the pits before the start.

As hard as it was to do I'm pleased I listened to my senses and pealed off because a deflating left rear tyre wouldn't have got me through the right hander at the end of the front straight and while that would have kept Will busy for a while, none of us would have been happy.

DSC_0290_zpsipqxfyfk.jpg

P1015091_zpsdyinsi7i.jpg

A sad way to end the event but isn't it great to see how visible the stealth indicator is behind the grill.

Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 23 November 2016 - 01:30 AM.

#746 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:53 AM

Hi All

I spent today in the starters box at the annual Vintage Stampede at Wanneroo and said to one of the Zed guys on leaving that I had the second best position at the track today and what a great second it is to driving.

On the other side of the world, Whittie is having fun playing with his 370Z 2+2, he recently sent me a pic of a diy wheel alignment system that I thought was a bit too simple to actually work but it appears it does.

IMAG0103_zpsw70onzfy.jpg

It's universal, works on all cars, portable for taking to the track. Will be used to setup the zed too when I'm back.

This came in last week.

I went out on Sunday with the BMW club for a few runs.

2AF_7815%20002_zpsak1ep3ud.jpg

2AF_7855%20002_zpsevedrrpc.jpg

2AF_7856%20002_zpspakig526.jpg

15/64 starters - beat every single BMW, including all of the M3's and only 0.2s behind a guy in a corvette, but he was whining about hitting cones all day long. His raw best time was only 1s faster than mine either way.

http://www.houston-b...s-event_raw.htm

The car is going great, it's amazing how much of a difference a wheel alignment can make. I pointed the front wheels out by 1.5mm per side (front of rim 1.5mm further out than rear of the rim) and the car went from an under steering mess to completely hooked up. I was destroying tires with the old setup and now they are wearing evenly again. It's just nuts. I changed the rear wheels by 1mm per side and it was equally huge change. I am going to try 0.5mm per side in the back to try and get the rear end to step out some more, it's a little too hooked up at the moment.

Fun times. I'm looking forward to mucking around with the Zed a whole lot when I get back.

Me too! Cheers

Dad

Edited by TT Aero, 30 November 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#747 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hi All

With Whittie away in the land of milk and honey for the foreseeable future and with no looming competition events for the Zed I decided to remove the head and have the inlet port injector relief filled and he port professionally matched to the manifold, it's a relatively minor improvement which should have been done by the previous owner when the P90 head was initially fitted but I won't bother going there it's a long time ago.

The head's with Headtorque in Osborne Park, they've been around for a long time and really know what they're doing so the first thing they did was grit blast the head the second was to call me to advise that there are two holes, one in No1 exhaust port and the other in No6 exhaust port.

I inspected it and one was the size of the nail on my pointer finger and the other the size of the one on my little finger so both nasty, they said they could be repaired but there would be no guarantee, given the work that's already been done I decided to go ahead with the repair, the valve guide inserts are being replaced at the same time.

As I didn't have my camera with me I returned the next day to get some pics but the welding had already been done so here's what I saw.

P1015183_zpsbjp8fgvr.jpg

P1015186_zps7w4j3fc3.jpg

P1015187_zpsctb8fmo1.jpg

P1015185_zpstnkeleyi.jpg

P1015184_zpslp6pvuzy.jpg

While looking at the head the guy asked me what coolant I'm using and I said I don't know it's the green one, he said they're all green or red, is it Tectaloy premix because if it is then that's what's caused your problem it promotes electrolysis, Tectaloy concentrate is ok but we recommend you only use a manufacturer approved coolant.  He went on to say that he's been threatened with legal action because of his comments but sighted a Mazda head that came to him, on inspection there was absolutely nothing wrong with it so it was surfaced and returned to the customer, three months later it was back for repair this time with corrosion holes, no prizes for guessing what coolant was used.

Guess this is heading for the bin.

P1015188_zpskgsgl5ao.jpg

Cheers

Dad

• AndBir likes this

#748 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hi All

I called Headtorque today to get an update on the head and they confirmed that it passed the pressure test which means it has been saved so now the port matching can go ahead, should be ready to refit mid Jan.

Well it's official DADSON Racing has gone international, I guess that means I'll just have to get myself back to the land of milk and honey so we can double enter the 370 2+2 at an event, CoTA would be nice as we've already done a track walk. :)

IMG_20161214_055348_zpsvqvek05s.jpg

Cheers

Dad

#749 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hi All

Whittie has decided that with another 2.5 years ahead of him in the US he might as well improve the 370 2+2 so has bolted on some improvements that can be easily removed before selling the car, with engine mods not simply reversed he has decided to leave that as is and concentrate on handling and braking so along come brake ducts, finned diff cover, fully adjustable coil overs and alignment adjustment mods.

IMG_20161231_160207_zpsugqvbjxv.jpg

IMG_20161231_160240_zpsqbpaqfnj.jpg

IMG_20161231_160246_zpsfpp4goyv.jpg

IMG_20170101_155416_zpsjeqvarjt.jpg

IMG_20170102_201125_zpsar1jznmk.jpg

IMG_20170102_134445_zpsi0f2nzeb.jpg

So with the mods in place and a quick wheel alignment it was off to the autocross track to gauge the improvement.

At the end of the day Whittie was second in class to a M3 an 18th outright in a field of 180...That's my boy!!

We bought the Zed for Whittie when he was fifteen and still at school and his first driving lesson in the Zed was with an instructor on Wanneroo race track, one of the instructors primary rules is that your hands must always be on the steering wheel and only come off to change gear, with that in mind watch whitties hands as he guides the open diff 370 2+2 round the autocross course.

https://youtu.be/ahIJiJwhOj0

Cheers

Dad

• 260DET likes this

#750 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hi All

The P90 head is finally good to go, as part of the repair two water galleys have been filled but Headtorque assure me it won't adversely effect cooling, I guess time will tell on that one, they mentioned previously that the guides were showing signs of wear so they and the valves have been replaced.

IMAG0223_zpshvampxdr.jpg

There has been a bit of miss communication regarding what was to be done to the head I requested port matching which I assumed (yes I know assume makes an ASS out of you and me) meant the injector relief would be filled but that's not the way it was taken so the manifold has been professionally matched to the head but the injector relief remains, when I asked about it they said it was not something they normally do as the increase in flow and hence performance will be negligible and not justify the cost, they said that if I insist they will happily do it but suggested flow testing with and without putty in the relief first, so that's what was done.

As part of my research into L28 heads I found a flow chart on here that I think is worth re posting.

heads1_zpsqjjtyuov.jpg

That graph has ported P90 reading a touch above 210cfm so that's the target.

Four tests were done as follows, test 1 bare head, test 2 bare head with putty, test 3 manifold fitted, test 4 manifold fitted with putty.

The test print out shows the head with putty achieved the best flow, the next best had the manifold fitted with putty in place and the worst flow had the manifold fitted with relief open so clearly there is a gain to be had by filling the relief but with the high being 211cfm and the low 209cfm a potential gain of 2cfm or 1% increase in flow is not worth chasing.

IMG_0001_zps9h0nkphy.jpg

While they had the head they also measured the combustion chambers and advise that on the right motor the head is capable of 310hp, that news got my pulse moving I can't wait to get on to the track now and see what gain we've achieved.

Cheers

Dad

• 260DET likes this

#751 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hi All

Whittie's been out playing in his 370 2+2 again having great fun and punching well above his weight.

First time on a real track with the new coilovers and alignment in the Q60s for the inaugural LSRPCA Texas World Speedway autocross, built along the short track.

The day was HUGE fun. This was my fastest raw time, I hit the second to last cone. Run would have been good for 4th outright, ahead of all Porsche drivers. I ran a second best time of 89.69 for 6th outright, behind a Cayman.

Cheers

Dad

Edited by Dad, 06 April 2017 - 12:05 AM.

#752 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Good to see him owning Porkers.

#753 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

Wow, I just caught up with this thread and what a difference a set of coil-overs makes!

The Porsche day was also 70-odd cars, so a jump from 16-4 is huge.

Before and After coilover pictures attached. Otherwise same setup.

Before:

2AF_7855%20002_zpsevedrrpc.jpg

After:

2AG_2043%20-%20Copy_zpsiodgd0b2.jpg

#754 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Hi All

Without really knowing what I was doing I had a go at port matching the inlet manifold when the motor went back in after the rebuild following the blown head gasket and thought I'd done a half good ammeter job, turns out the job was half good with three ports not requiring any further work but the others were pretty crook.

I relied on the mounting studs to line the manifold up but the professionals do it a little more accurately.

IMAG0239_zpsxjcbzf4k.jpg

Cheers

Dad

#755 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

Hi All

When I looked at the inlet manifold next to the head recently I realized just how crap it looks compared to the head and that's before looking at the rusty carby linkages that are welded in place.

IMAG0239_zpsxjcbzf4k.jpg

P2012719_zpsxr3ekh9v.jpg

In putting this car back together I can honestly say there has only been one cheat and that is a bolt I couldn't remove to have plated so I painted it, here comes cheat no two.

I asked Headtorque how they achieved the bright finish on the repaired head and to my surprise it is a cheat so I've copied it, first was a thorough solvent wash.

P1015667_zps07uzlqwk.jpg

Then the cheat or rather cheats.

P1015674_zpsagzs1dqb.jpg

P1015673_zpsfkgzzedd.jpg

I'm not unhappy for a moment with the result.

P1015748_zpsmsvlhyv2.jpg

P1015752_zpswsid8few.jpg

Cheers

Dad

#756 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

I guess that's what you get for relying on a 3rd party photo hosting website for 10 years. That's one lesson I won't be forgetting in a hurry.

I apologise folks, but we're not the only ones impacted. I'm not sure what we'll do, but personally I will not be going through all the individual posts to update the broken photo links. I will investigate a more secure photo hosting option and provide a link to that location in the future, I will update the first post when I do.

What a mess.

#757 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

What a shame! 

#758 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

Hi All

Spare a thought for Whittie in Houston, Hurricane Harvey has caused massive damage and is dumping record amounts of rain, so far so good, no wind damage and the house remains dry so far but it's not over yet and just to spice things up a little Mrs Whittie is due to give birth in a couple of weeks...I know where I want to be right now, I've never felt so helpless.

Dad

#759 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hi All

It's looking like the worst has passed for Whittie at least for the time being, the Hurricane warnings have stopped and the rain appears to be easing, to put things into perspective in the last 24 hour recording period Whittie's area received 408mm of rain which is almost half the annual for Perth.

Cheers

Dad

• 260DET likes this

#760 Grandad

Grandad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Hi All

For anyone interested enough to have had a look at the Houston weather radar Whittie lives in Katy (funny suburb name) which is west of the city so provided the storm keeps moving east the worst is finally over.

Whittie advised that his shed went under and his neighbor had 1.1/2" through the house fortunately Whittie retained a couple of inches free board which is plenty close enough so I guess it's back to normal waiting for the Whittie's new family to arrive.

Just received this from Whittie and now can't wait for some pics.

Storm is moving east, radar has cleared considerably and water levels have gone down for the past 12 hours.

970mm of rain in 4 days. I never want to see rain again.

Cheers

Dad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users